ABW Ambassador
    This morning I got an email from this guy saying he posted on my message board about an article on my site that I stole from his. The thing is, I had never been to his site and the article in question, I got permission to use from the site I found it on. I contacted the owner of the site I got it from and they said they wrote it and have not been contacted by this person.
    So far, I've replaced the article w/ "This article has been temporarily removed."
    This person also went so far as to put, at the bottom of his article, text saying that I plagiarized it and we're "slime balls". He also accused me of plagiarism on my own message board...I deleted that post and removed his posting privileges. I will remain civil about this for now...I'll email him explaining that I got it from another site, who claims it is theirs, that I had never been to his site, and then will ask permission to use it and give him credit.
    If he wants to take it to the next level, I have a cease & desist order ready to go for the defamation on his site.
    Please help me out here...I did a little reading about copyright laws, and basically whenever you write something, it's copyrighted. There's no need for a statement of any kind. You only need to say explicitly that it's for the public domain if it is...
    What would you guys do? Am I doing the right thing? Am I overlooking anything? Please help [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks!

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Do you have the email from the site saying you have permission to use the article? If so, forward it to him as proof and all should be well. He's going after the wrong person, and unless he's a crazy jerk, he'll realize that and leave you alone.

Just keep the article removed and move on, you should be fine. If he comes after you legally, I don't know what you should do. Get a lawyer!

ABW Ambassador
    I got the permission via a PM on ABW. I still have that. I have no idea who is telling the truth though. I hate to cave in like this because it means me losing a valuable resource from my site. Also, what about the defamation on their site?

Supras | Celicas

I've had some slight experiences with copyright... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

One of the problems with copyright is that not everything is copyrightable; small selections of copyrighted material can be used without permission; and a vast, vast majority of people think they understand it when they don't, especially when they threaten legal action right away. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

We generally write back: thanks for pointing it out; we have permission/it's original work, we await further legal action. We haven't had anything go past this point simply because of the cost and/or the complainer is just blasting hot air.

FWIW.

CodeJockey

ABW Ambassador
    would you let someone get away w/ calling you a slime ball on their site? Or should I just leave it alone and beleive that any advertising, even bad, is good advertising?

Supras | Celicas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> would you let someone get away w/ calling you a slime ball on their site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah... wouldn't bother me any since I never went to law school.

I think a lot of it depends on whether you are actually in the right or not. If you believe that this is an original piece of work and have permission to use it from the author, then you could possibly think that this person should f.o.a.d.

If the source is questionable, then you may want to remove it simply to prove your own ethics and standards and move forward, and consider the whole issue over and done.

Probably the biggest 'trick' to the whole situation is to kill it off asap, 'cause if you don't, it will escalate and just get down and dirty.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

CodeJockey.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celicaphile:
    would you let someone get away w/ calling you a slime ball on their site? Or should I just leave it alone and beleive that any advertising, even bad, is good advertising?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am an easy-going person until crossed.

I've had to deal with something similar twice -- and I've been the one in the right both times.

After nicely asking the offender to remove the crap they ignored me or wrote more crap. What I did then was report this to their ISP/host and demand that it be removed. Both times they lost their site over it with very little work on my end.

If you're angry enough and have enough time, you can usually find a quote in the hosts TOS that frowns upon people posting stuff like that.

It's not always perfect but you can get some idea of who really posted the article first using the waybackmachine. It's been a big help when I can prove I used something in the early 90's that someone is making claim to of their own now.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread