Question Targeted Traffic
    Has anyone tried targeted mailing lists and if so what success have you had with them. This is something I am considering trying but have heard so many different things from waste of time and money to fantastic results. These opinions only ever come from someone trying to push a product or their competitors. I would like your views on this to help me make up my mind.

If you're talking about email lists I'd stay away unless you built the list yourself....
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

If you don't have experience emailing and are buying the list, I completely agree with Jason.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Yes Never Buy A Mailing List, Most Of The Time They are not responsive and they don't want to see your e-mails. I Suggest You Build Your Own From Scratch, Atleast Then You Know that they are targeted and responsive And That Will Get You Profits

Jameel

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Building and maintaing a mailing list is tough. It is much easier if you are a manufacturer, retailer or forum owner.

In my old position (we were a retailer), I have worked with email companies and they would to send our creative out. Results would depend on numerous variables. 1) how many times they have gotten an email. 2) demographics 3) freshness of the email list and the list goes on.

Buying a list and monitizing on it will be tough as you do not know if that person who sold you the list will be selling it to 20 other Joe Smoe and one of them might be a spammer. Need to comply with the spam laws too.

I would discourage you from buying.

Email lists are very sensitive. Its smart to steer clear until you have built your own list and gotten them accustomed to receiving messaging from you. Then slowly ease them into being advertised to. Its a tough task, but it can be done.

I agree with the previous statements - However another angle on this is to find someone who has a list in your target market and JV with them. They already have the relationship with their list and if you have a product or service - this can be very effective - and doesn't cost you dime - although it will be much more tougher if you don't have a product or service. If not, there are creative ways to JV with someone to make it work. It depends on your market you're trying to tap into and the relationship you have or can establish with your potential JV partner.

Thank you Michael! That crap ended up in my inbox and I wasn't too happy. Glad to see it got taken care of.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Another thing to consider is that an unsolicited email might not be the best way to introduce your service to a new customer. Email is a great retention tool, however.

I get hundreds of spam emails a day, I never look at them. Nobody has time to look at them because all their time is spent getting rid of them.

If those email list belong to your targetted market, its worth the try. But it still goes down to the type of letter you are going to send. It should not be too spammy. It should be catchy and worth the time to read. If the recipients would like what they read, you have a greater chance that they would actually visit your site

Buying a list and mass-mailing is, to me a waste of your time.Been there,done that. Building your own list takes patience,time and consistency. But it can be "very,very,very rewarding"( Remember that Citibank commercial!!)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread