ABW Ambassador
    Hello all,
    back with a question...

Pay per action...

In some cases, take for example ebay.com pays the affiliates only when the user you referred bids on a particular item, more so wins the auction...

Or in some cases, the affiliates are paid a certain amount when a registered (referred) user posts his 1st message on a forum...

How is this tracked?

Does the merchant feed the data in manually? Or the 3-tier does it? Can anyone help me to clear this confusion...

How does the merchant know as to which user was referred by which affiliate and then go on to pay the affiliate if the referred user performs a certain action (posts, places a bid) etc.

Regards
    Amit

I had a dream!!! It's time It became reality...

When somebody visits ebay through an affiliates link they receive a cookie on their computer. You'll notice that if an affiliate link takes a visitor to ebay's home page the link won't be to www.ebay.com (although it can be disguised to look that way). When the visitor goes to ebay through the special affiliate link the cookie on their computer tells ebay that this visitor is from ____ affiliate. Those cookies are set to expire after a certain time period, so the visitor has to perform those actions on ebay before the cookie expires or the affiliate won't receive credit for it.

ABW Ambassador
    David - very well true, that's right...

However, the question is

Say for example

I am an ebay affiliate

first my user clicks my link, then he is directed to ebay.com aid="" pid=""? something of that sort...

then the user registers and he logs off...

So the cookie is stored in the user's machine - for he has registered, and then he would come back this time directly to ebay.com
    then goes on to place a bid and win it...

How is this tracked?

I can very well understand about the user placing a bid...say if he placed a bid - the affiliate is paid...

It's easy to track that, However, place a bid and win it ?

How is this scripted ?
    Something confusing...

when does ebay or cj know (non manual) through some scripts that the referred user has won the bid hence the affiliate must be paid.

Regards
    Amit

I had a dream!!! It's time It became reality...

It was my understanding that the visitor does not have to win the bid. Per ebay's page at CJ:

$5.00 per Active Registration
    *A registration is active when the user places a bid on eBay within 30 days of their initial registration. Registrations that do not become active within 30 days will be reversed.

$0.05 per Qualified Bid
    *The eBay program pays for one bid per click from your site. Your site links must be used as navigation to eBay prior to every bid transaction in order for you to be paid for the bid.

Cookies aren't the main issue. The issue is when and what you get paid for. But the cookie duration for ebay is 30 days.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread