balance drop - is this news? You NEED a buffer
    Every month there's a thread like this "balance drop - we've been paid!".

If this matters a lot to you, you're sailing too close to the wind. You NEED a cash buffer. Some amount - $5000 in your account maybe so that payday coming or not coming or being smaller than you anticipated doesn't mean disaster.

If you want to continue in this business, you have to smooth out the ups and downs yourself. What if next months pay comes 10 days late? what if it's 50% of what you expect? Could you survive? If not - then one day you may not survive - except you might do if you you get to 2 months time when the ups and downs smooth out again.

Just a little friendly advice from someone who has been mainly self-employed for about 15 years now.

Yeah, I always wonder when people say they need the money to pay a bill or something and it the payment is late they can't pay their bills. Not a way to live. This business is too unpredictable. If you are going to be self employed in something like this you need to be prepared.

ABW Ambassador
    I have a cash buffer, I'm not living on the edge at all. But I still like to share the news. (There have been times when payments have been late on various networks.)

Given that many of the posts in various sections at ABW lack any relevancy to AM at all (and that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them) I don't think that these threads are that much of a bother. If you don't like them, then don't read them.

I don't much care about these threads. As I know, I will get paid. But I don't have problem with such threads. Ignore it if you don't like it.

As I have said before I see nothing wrong at all with the threads. Let's people know things are happening and alerts some that there may be a problem with their individual account. Of course if it doesn't matter to you then you can simple move on to the next thread or hit the back button. Doesn't hurt a soul.

I am curious as to why all threads have to be "news" threads?

I agree with Nakedgamer
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I usually don't give these types of threds a second look because my money usually ends up in my bank account 3-7 days later... but this month, CJ actually had my money "in the bank" on the morning of the 19th. That was special. Never mind the fact that it was the lowest that I have earned in 2 years.. It was better than on time (definition: before "on-time"... which equals... the day before "on-time". ) I.E. ............ I got paid early.... and that CAN'T be bad...

NOTE: I should add.......... Unless I should have been paid more........

I wasn't complaining about the balance drop threads, they don't bother me and I do ignore them.

I posted this as it surprises me that there seem to be a number of people who are as I said in my OP "sailing too close to the wind". Likewise I guess if you think the cash-buffer is irrelevant advice, then ignore it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Usually if someone is sailing that close to the wind, they have no choice but to ignore your advice; until they're doing better, they don't have the money to build a buffer with.

I would presume that anyone with any extra cash does have a buffer. I know I built one as soon as I could! It serves to keep empl*yment away. Along with preventing lesser nasties, like the eating of Kraft macaroni.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I don't know if it is so much being in need of the payday that month, but in the fact that the affiliate thing is working and I am getting another payday, period! I still get excited about it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "sailing too close to the wind"

shouldn't it be sailing too close to jagged, vicious, partially submerged, ill-lit rocks...

:-)

as both a navy man and a sailor, i know the precise meaning of this phrase - yep, i get that it fits, somewhat - but when sailing dead into the wind (too close), you need only make a small turn in either direction to quickly recover. inadequate cash flow reserves are nothing at all like the "too close" expression infers - the recovery isn't as simple.

picking nits, just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    as both a navy man and a sailor, i know the precise meaning of this phrase - yep, i get that it fits, somewhat - but when sailing dead into the wind (too close), you need only make a small turn in either direction to quickly recover. inadequate cash flow reserves are nothing at all like the "too close" expression infers - the recovery isn't as simple.
    If you make a small mistake - you pay for it as the sail can luff (go slack and limp) and big bits of wood - booms and blocks and stuff start to swing about menacingly. Also, the recovery means going in a totally different direction - flipping burgers maybe?

It's not so much the total money buffer of which there is plenty, but in order to maximize the return on cash already in hand, get it into investment/savings accounts where it is working ASAP, pay the credit card bulls for advertising just before interest accrues (or more likely just before they hit the credit limit), switching payments from one credit card to another to maximize rewards and make money on the 0% offers, having tens of thousands of dollars come in +/- 5 days could make a big difference. Just playing the credit card game and working that system can net enough to take care of the car, rent or mortgage payment each month when the credit cards give you up to 5% + rewards to take big loans from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    credit cards give you up to 5% + rewards to take big loans from them.
    Don't do loans any more - I love the web

Juggling dates and invest % - does anybody do that really? Spend the time webmastering instead and you'll make more $$.

I think people realize that they need a buffer, but not everyone is at the same level and not everyone has the same discipline when it comes to money. As much as I would like to see those types of post disappear, I just don't see it happening. There will always be people depending on an unreliable income stream, cutting things close, and living check to check.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

God Bless Forums!

A "buffer" doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned about your monthly income. I certainly have a "buffer" (aka a budget) for the companies but it's important that account receivables arrive in a timely manner and in the amounts expected. That is just good business sense and responsibility. Worrying about those pesky little things like "money" is just another part of life.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread