how to accept reactivation
    I've just been reaccepted by a merchant on Linkshare that had deactivated my relationship automatically (from lack of activity) and then manually reactivated me after discussion. Problem is, I can't see where to accept this reactivation.

I checked in the program controls area for the merchant, but this still says that my relationship with the merchant has been cancelled. I looked in my mail on Linkshare and see nothing. I also don't have anything in my Outlook mail.

Should I be checking elsewhere? Has anyone done this before and knows how? I tried to call Linkshare earlier, but they had shut. I'd love to get my links back up and working this weekend (they've been down for almost 2 weeks now). Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

ABW Ambassador
    When did the merchant tell you they reactivated you? I suspect they haven't actually done that yet in Linkshare. You'll need to wait until they do.

I thought you had to apply again to get activated back. At least that is what I had to do with another affiliate network. I then sent an email to the affiliate manager indicating that I had, so that they did not reject me automatically.

ABW Ambassador
    You do not have to re-apply with Linkshare merchants. I know from personal experience with more than one merchant.

In fact, I don't even think there is an option in Linkshare to re-apply to a merchant who has terminated you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    In fact, I don't even think there is an option in Linkshare to re-apply to a merchant who has terminated you.
    Create another channel and you get another chance

It was really weird, one merchant I had affiliated with at CJ switched over to LS. When I applied I was sent an e-mail that said in between the lines I wasn't good enough for the merchant. I opened more channels (that related to the same sites) and was enthusiastically welcomed with open arms -- their system is clunky.

I now operate multiple LS channels with the same merchants just about on every channel (for my convenience not theirs) -- oh, at the same time I've been approved for signature so what I do is that when it's convenient for me: I use signature or the channel[s] -- as long as I get the check$ that's what matters to me.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I would not create another channel. Just wait until the AM re-activates you. If that hasn't happened by Monday, contact him again.

As far as I know, Linkshare has only one standard email indicating that your application has been declined. Several years ago, before LS had channels, I was declined from a merchant that my site is 100% on target for. The standard reasons for being declined did not apply to my site at all. This merchant is managed by Linkshare so it reflected very poorly on Linkshare without the merchant's knowledge.

A short time later, I set up a new Linkshare account with all of the same profile info. and I was accepted into that same merchant's program. Just goes to show how poorly that program was administered. Less than a year later, I dropped the merchant when I learned that they were charging higher prices when their site was accessed through an affiliate link. At the time, I posted here on ABW about it and Heidi Messer, one of the former owners of Linkshare, responded saying that a merchant could do that. I was pretty flabbergasted that Linkshare condoned the practice. Of course, that was before I learned about all of the other unethical things the Messers condoned.

When did the merchant tell you they reactivated you? I suspect they haven't actually done that yet in Linkshare. You'll need to wait until they do.

That's what I thought. But while I was talking to him he said to check my mails for 4/16, that that was when he put it through originally (I spoke to him last week about this as well). Since we were on the phone, he said that he would just send it again. I can't seem to find either, but then again I've never done this before so I don't know where to look. It would seem to me that you should look in the program controls or your mail, but I don't see them... Oh well, I'll just wait til Monday (then post the answer here).

I've had pretty good luck with getting into programs if I contact the manager and explain why I think it would be a good fit, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by lschofield
    That's what I thought.
    I've had pretty good luck with getting into programs if I contact the manager and explain why I think it would be a good fit, etc...
    Then just wait a few days
    Sometimes an e-mail will patch things up.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm so glad I found this forum. There's such a steep learning curve with AM (and I've even got a database programming and marketing background!). Online marketing and site development are totally new to me though, and building sites requires alot of organization.

Then you've got to figure out how to use the network's interfaces....

You lot are a very informed and informative group...

Quote Originally Posted by lschofield
    "I've even got a database programming and marketing background."
    I would think your background would make you an attractive affiliate to many companies.

LS has a good selection of affiliate merchants/companies so apply to a range within LS and also think about AMs in other networks too.

Some LS merchants turned me down so I created sites with competitors from other networks but I still wanted the AMs who had turned me down so I periodically would apply/send e-mail again and again until acceptance

Snowman set up a new Linkshare account, I think it's easier to set up a new channel but prior to doing either, just wait -- then e-mail -- creating a new channel or whatever is a last resort.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I would think your background would make you an attractive affiliate to many companies.

LS has a good selection of affiliate merchants/companies so apply to a range within LS and also think about AMs in other networks too.

Some LS merchants turned me down so I created sites with competitors from other networks but I still wanted the AMs who had turned me down so I periodically would apply/send e-mail again and again until acceptance

Snowman set up a new Linkshare account, I think it's easier to set up a new channel but prior to doing either, just wait -- then e-mail -- creating a new channel or whatever is a last resort.
    I've had positive feedback from the AMs at Good Times Entertainment and 1800flowers (both through LS). And the new AM at Hilo Hattie is very personable (Brian).

My database background though is with MSAccess and writing queries in VBA, did this for a bank. So, I have to learn PHP, but it looks pretty similar to C++ (which I also studied), so hopefully I'll be able to get datafeeds up and running soon. I'm looking at cloaking my links through a database as well. I worked in Marketing (mainly PR) at a Gannett newspaper and a big 4 accounting firm - different ballgame, but same basic principles: I hope to adapt quickly! I'm a new stay-at-home mom, daycare is unbelievably expensive so I'm trying to do something from home. This seems like a thing that would suit my background (hopefully)!

I still can't figure out how to accept this reactivation though, and have been phoning linkshare all day (left 4 voice messages and started 1 support ticket). Its really getting frustrating. I'm indexed for certain products Hilo offers, so its horrible to see people show up at my site for a search on "Hawaiian Hello Kitty collection", etc... This has been going on since April 10 (I had to do some research to even be able to contact Hilo Hattie - I've informed Linkshare about the new contact info, they've done nothing to update it).

I'd just take it all off my site, but I spent around 2 days on researching / putting it all up, it would take a while to get it all down, and then if the reactivation comes through finally.... I think I'll try phoning Hilo Hattie again.

BTW - I noticed another page on Linkshare, "Merchant Status", that lists "reactivated merchant programs", "merchants that have filed for bankruptcy", "discontinued merchant programs", and "inactive merchant programs". None of them list anything.

So I'm just very confused and frustrated with LS at the moment!...

ABW Ambassador
    You need to address this with the merchant, not Linkshare. Linkshare doesn't reactivate affiliates in specific programs. The merchant does.

Thanks Snowman, thats what LS told me as well. Problem is though, that the merchant apparently reactivated me the first time that I spoke with them, saying that I needed to accept this reactivation: they also gave me a date when they did this. The 2nd time I spoke with them, they said they sent the reactivation through again.

I don't know what the merchant's interface is for accomplishing this reactivation, so can't tell them if perhaps they're not reactivating the account correctly. And maybe they ARE reactivating me correctly and I just don't know where to look for the option to accept reactivation (the merchant is telling me that I need to accept it).

In short, the merchant is doing what they believe they have to. I have looked everywhere on LS' interface to do what I have to do, but I can't find it. I'm looking to LS for guidance on this. Obviously myself and the merchant aren't doing something correctly....

Anyone ever been reactivated before? Do you have to accept this reactivation, and if so, WHERE? Many thanks for any suggestions!!!

Regards,
    Laura

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I've been reactivated by two different Linkshare merchants and there is nothing that you have to do. It's all handled on the merchant's end. He's doing something wrong so he should have his Linkshare rep. walk him through the process. While I've never seen the Linkshare merchant interface, I would suspect that he can tell that you have not been reactivated and that when you are, he'll be able to see that as well.

I appreciate your frustration. It's no fun dealing with AMs who don't know what they're doing.

Yes, I've been reactivated by two different Linkshare merchants and there is nothing that you have to do. It's all handled on the merchant's end. He's doing something wrong so he should have his Linkshare rep. walk him through the process. While I've never seen the Linkshare merchant interface, I would suspect that he can tell that you have not been reactivated and that when you are, he'll be able to see that as well.

I appreciate your frustration. It's no fun dealing with AMs who don't know what they're doing.

Thanks so much for that. You're right, he said that he put it through, then he put it through again. He was thinking I had to accept it.

Its very frustrating, and puts me in a difficult position as I don't want to keep calling him about the same thing and tell him that he's actually wrong.... Oh well.

He is a very nice guy though, recently got dumped with alot of new responsibility I gather... So I'm thinking this is new to him as well.

Thanks again for the insight. Now I have an idea how to proceed!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread