Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WalMart Product Links
    I was just checking some links and noticed that Walmart product links are defaulting to their home page. When I search for the product on Walmarts site it is is in stock. I noticed this a few weeks ago and notified Walmart to no avail. Maybe they are doing it on purpose at random? Or, maybe it's the fault of the new Linkshare link expiration option? Either way I do think sales are lost when a customer clicks through and does not find what was advertised. For now I am putting Walmart product links below the fold.

Tami

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up.

I just tried a few product links and all have done the same thing - they go to Walmart's home page.

Also, I have a few GoldenCan Walmart datafeeds, and if I click on those products, they also go to the Walmart home page.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; April 21st, 2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Add: I posted this info in the GC forum
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    Update from Walmart.com
    Thanks for the heads up. We're having an issue with our product datafeed. It's only sending a portion of our total SKUs to LinkShare. This causes the links for all of the SKUs that did not get sent to redirect to the homepage.

We're working on fixing it and I'll post in this forum when we have it sorted out.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the lost sales.

Randy Almond
    Affiliate Manager
    Walmart.com

Thanks for your quick response, Randy.

I have also sent an email to affiliates at walmart dot com, but information provided here is preferable.

I am only hoping that whatever fix is done will not require us to change out existing links for new ones.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    Randy, communication is key to a successful affiliate relationship. While I appreciate your response here, it's quite disappointing that Tami's email was ignored as well as no affiliate-wide communication on this matter. Some affiliates spend a lot of time adding product links to their sites. Is it not reasonable that they should be notified so as to not waste their time adding links that don't resolve as they should? Creating unnecessary work for your affiliates is irresponsible.

I think you owe it to your affiliates to send out a systemwide email about this today and then do the same when it's fixed. Simply posting here is totally inadequate. I would have expected more from the largest retailer in the world.

Affiliate Manager
    We got the new feed uploaded and processed by LinkShare this afternoon. All of your existing links should work since the products they link to are now back in the LinkShare database.

Again, I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused everyone.

Randy

Thanks Randy!

The product links are back.
    I appreciate the quick response.

Tami

ABW Ambassador
    Mine are still going to the homepage, and I had put them right up top on the page. I'll try getting diff links at LS for those items and see if those work now.

The majority (85% or so) of the 15-20 product links I have just tested still go to the home page, and none of the GoldenCan products I tried are working yet either.

Product Links still not working
    Same here, either it was working for a short time yesterday or I did not check enough links. All the product links I just checked all default to the home page and are still in stock.

Randy, you need to check this out again!

Tami

All Product Links Not Working
    Quote Originally Posted by rcalmond
    We got the new feed uploaded and processed by LinkShare this afternoon. All of your existing links should work since the products they link to are now back in the LinkShare database.
    Randy,

This did not work, all the product links I just checked do not go to the product but instead to the Walmart home page.

Let us know your working on it.

Tami

This morning I received a response to the email I sent, presumably to the Walmart Affiliate Manager, before rcalmond posted here. In it, I described how "all of your product links, both individual links obtained through the Linkshare interface, and feeds obtained through GoldenCan, do not go to the indiviidual products, but are now all going to your Home Page."

I received this response:
    Dear ------

Thank you for your email!...
    Please send us a copy of the
    generated HTML you are using so we can test the link.

Thank you for contacting LinkShare!

-------
    LinkShare.com Affiliate Support
    So, somehow this was answered by LS and not by Walmart, and they want html for the link that is not working.

.. and still nothing further here from Randy.

I just checked 9 of my best selling Walmart products and *ALL* of them went to the Walmart homepage. My Walmart sales have disappeared since the start of this issue, so I think it's in everybody's best interest that this is fixed immediately.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Since we haven't heard from Randy since Saturday, I think we all need to contact Walmart and LS - emails, even telephone calls if someone has a number - since this problem is not being timely resolved.

LS lists the Walmart contact email as affiliates at walmart dot com, but as I said in my last post, this was poorly responded to by someone from LS. That's also the email in their newsletters, etc. and there is no telephone number listed anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Since we haven't heard from Randy since Saturday, I think we all need to contact Walmart and LS - emails, even telephone calls if someone has a number - since this problem is not being timely resolved.

LS lists the Walmart contact email as affiliates at walmart dot com, but as I said in my last post, this was poorly responded to by someone from LS. That's also the email in their newsletters, etc. and there is no telephone number listed anywhere.
    I just emailed Randy directly. If he doesn't get back to me via email quickly enough I'll give him a call.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I just emailed Randy directly. If he doesn't get back to me via email quickly enough I'll give him a call.

- Scott
    What email addy did you use and can you give me the telephone number? If you don't want to post this info, can you pm me?
    Thanks, Scott

Affiliate Manager
    Hi guys,

I was working on this issue over the weekend and have our engineers working on it today. It's my highest priority and I hope to have it fixed this afternoon.

I'll post later today to give you an update.

Randy

Errggg. Just saw this thread, of course my links are going to the homepage too... Would explain the lack of Walmart sales lately.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Affiliate Manager
    Hi guys,

Still working on this. We have a fix that will go in place tomorrow morning and I'm trying to see what I can do to get the links live this evening as well. More to come...

As a work around, if you have the time and energy to convert links, the links created from the method Randy gave us in this thread do work:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...018#post569018

I converted many of my higher traffic items to these links and they go to the right page and product and do track.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    As a work around, if you have the time and energy to convert links, the links created from the method Randy gave us in this thread do work:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...018#post569018

I converted many of my higher traffic items to these links and they go to the right page and product and do track.
    Thanks, CathyM, I've fooled around with this and it does seem to work.

Actually, using this method would be quicker and simpler than trying to get individual links from the LS Walmart "directory of products and categories".

Actually, using this method would be quicker and simpler than trying to get individual links from the LS Walmart "directory of products and categories".
    Yes, I agree. Once I figured out the method, it is quite fast!

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for posting that old thread Cathy!

LinkShare has our feed and is reprocessing it. The links should be back up within a couple of hours. Thanks for your patience and help through this. We've been working on it at the highest levels at both Walmart.com and LinkShare. I'm very sorry for the difficulties this has been causing you.

Randy

ABW Ambassador
    Randy, when this "crisis" is over, you might want to take a look at what Popshops has. Somehow they work it so folks can pick individually selected products out of the feed - in addition to other options. There are some real good people behind it, and even in the early stages it's looking VERY good and going over very well.

If they can do what they do with the Walmart feed it would make promoting your products as easy as pie. Maybe have Angel take look and get his input on what he could do for you - and us.

Everything seems to be working ok this morning.

Randy, any word on compensation for lost sales for the last few days?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast