Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I Remember The Good Old Days When...
    Getting a good ranking in Altavista was all it took.

Affiliate Marketing meant Banner Farms.

"Google" was a sound a baby made when they needed their diaper changed.

......AND.......?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

...you had to hit refresh in chatrooms to see what the other person had posted.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I remember chatting in Chathouse

I also remember when mirc was hot
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I remember when the biggest BBS in town had THREE 164KB floppy drives and a 300 baud modem, tweaked to run up to 400 baud!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I remember when my **Zenith** laptop was all the rage...

ABW Ambassador
    I remember it taking almost 2 hours to download a Bruce Lee game via cassette on my Atari 800XL

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers...00xl/800xl.htm

and losing an ice cream eating contest to older kids. I was only 6, what do you expect?

I remember living with my Grandmother during the summers without a telephone or television (no reception without cable, cable was not yet available).
    The internet had not yet been invented. We didn't have computers.

Going to town to make a telephone call was a big excursion.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I remember when content was king but now that is so last month
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Starting out on a Commodore64 and thinking that new IBM PC would just be a fad - and continuing to stick with it until there wasn't a single program availabe anymore

You can still find C64 emulators and program images out there, if you're feeling nostalgic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I remember Prodigy -- my first internet service and no connection to the World Wide Web ... only BBS's and email.

Then later ...

I also remember creating a web page with affiliate links and presell info on a few niche online stores, then creating a ppc ad for FindWhat.com for less than .05 and making LOTS of money on the one ad, and the one page.

Sigh... it was Soooo easy.

Paper punched tape
    I remember my first 'pc' programming starting with a switch-toggled loader booting up a paper punched tape BASIC program/operating system from some outfit in New Mexico - I wonder what ever happened to them?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Starting out on a Commodore64 and thinking that new IBM PC would just be a fad - and continuing to stick with it until there wasn't a single program availabe anymore
    Sticking with the Commodore 64 (and 128s) until the hard drives crashed and there wasn't anyone to repair them.

Buying a custom 8088 PC with a 20 MEG hard drive and the salesman said "You'll NEVER use that much space....."
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    AmericaOnLine ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    CompuServe....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Dial up
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I remember my first computer, a Commodore Colt. No hard drive, 2 floppy disk drives, monochrome monitor, C:> prompts and I had to install the modem myself. Aahhh..those were the days.

Joey

ABW Ambassador
    I remember my first FAX machine that was to change the way we did business forever.

Planex RX gave you three full sized products each time a customer signed up under you id. I had a closet full of shampoo, vitamins, lotions, so much that most passed it expiration date well before I could ever use it. I was also able to give over 3000 full size products to women's shelters too! All for sending out a few emails :0)

I also owned a radio shack computer with NO hard drive ( just big floppys) and didn't even know WHAT a hard drive was.....

Used prodigy dial up long distance ( when you had to pay by the minute) at painfully slow speeds

I used to have Spectrum/Sinclair or something like that, programs were loaded from MCs, and regular TV was used as a display. Took some five to ten minutes to load a simple game (unless it didn't crash half-way there). Fast forward couple of years - text based talkers and IRC were all the rage, browsing web with text-based browser Lynx seemed so natural back in the day. Add some more years and animated gif images became a big hit, every website had to have them and a lots of them.

Renet

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The really sophisticated websites opened with MIDI audio files playing "America the Beautiful" or some other well known song in the background.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Turning images off so AOL pages would load in less than 5 minutes on my Hayes 1400 KBPS modem.

And further back to college days...

Driving my MG (with the top down in a blizzrd) to the computer center with a 20 lb. box of IBM punch cards to load into a CDC 6400 mainframe. Then driving back to the Engineering Center to get my printout and praying it would run or that a flock of geese wouldn't interfere with the laser beam connection between the two locations.
    ~Ernie

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I remember when I first bought a computer. Didn't have enough money left to pay for the internet, so I used our local library's free text based service.

I could log on, and move around the internet using DOS like commands. About the only thing it was good for was chat, so I hung out at Parent's Place, Chat House, and another one called Party something or other and chatted every night using that.

I also remember in high school being able to use 'the' computer as a reward for getting your work done first. About the only game to do on it was a spelling speed game that was sort of like the game centipeded, except you shot letters instead of bug pieces, and had to spell the word correctly doing that. We also each had a 5 1/2 floppy to keep our work on! *LOL*
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Who has any of these around 5.25-inch floppies

I still have 2 of them.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Jorge, 5.25 is what I meant, not 5 1/2. All I remember is they were HUGE! *LOL*

Actually having one in your possession was like a badge of honor when our school first got computers. *ROTFL*
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast