ABW Ambassador
    Question Sites that begin with "Welcome"
    Is this still cool or is it 1990's

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ff=1&q=welcome

Oh, it's so 90's, modern sites begin with 'Who else wants to <insert desireable subject>'

Renet

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I think 90's

More people are making video welcome messages now, so I think the trend will be not just Welcome, but a Welcome Video even on the home page.

Specially for service type businesses like these are doing:
    http://www.cprlaw.com/site/welcome-video.html
    http://www.hiroller.com/Welcome_video.html

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    I think the first welcome video I saw was on: http://www.briantracy.com/, and this was over 2 years ago. I remember that although the video was slow (especially so as I was on dial up in Bangkok) I was ever so impressed .

Video can be great for boosting conversion rates and also increasing trust. We've seen an 80%+ increase in conversion rates for selected GT Media products promoted by video. (The conversion rate was not bad before the implementation of video either).

I think that video is something we'll be seeing more and more on the internet. I reakon that over the next year all major websites will have video on them somewhere.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think a welcome message is very appropriate when it's a personal site or a site that reflects your creativity, personality or interests. It's good to welcome people into your home, so why not welcome them into your web site?

However, welcoming someone to a business site...I'm not so sure about that.

Not cool. Definitely 90's. It screams to me, "I still think frames are cool!...And animated gifs!"
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I agree with Rhea, I think it depends on the site and it's content.
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    >>personal site or a site that reflects your creativity, personality or interests.
    JUST FINE

For an eCommerce site one might try:
    "Get your credit card out NOW"
    (:>

You might be right, Adam. Telling a consumer to get out their credit card NOW probably works more than any of us would care to think...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

In this day and age (how's that for soooo 90s?), it is best to get your point out first. Writing in the inverted triangle style with your lead sentence adding value entices readers to read on.

A 'welcome to X' is just a lazy way for what could be a profound statement that captures your audience.

Use your h1 and h2 to grab the readers attention and make your lead sentence impactful and relate to the h1 emphatically.

Change your home page up frequently and post new articles on the home page.

A site about pets for example:

Pamper Your Pets
    The Guide to Pampering, not Spoiling Your Pets

Pets getting bored quickly? Think you need to buy Barkley new toys every week - think again! Getting the right toys and treats that won't bore your pet is paramount for keeping your pet grounded and your wallet full.

Here are 5 must haves for your Pets:

Dogs: Kong...yada, yada - 5 things - add clickable images with call to actions
    Cats: Feather...yada, yada - 5 things

Ending summary paragraph: links for other pets, like ferrets, etc.

Welcome to Puppyland and Kittydom doesn't draw your reader in at all...

All the best,
    Ceri

It sounds to generic, for any year.

haha, This is totally 90's. How did you think of to do this? Just bored?

Affiliate Manager
    I think Rhea summed it up well. When a user goes to a business site, they have a goal in mind. A welcome page is just one more thing to click through to get to their goal, an impedance rather than a help.

Rather than a separate page, you can make your visitors feel welcome by making an attractive, engaging front page that helps them get where they want to go smoothly and effortlessly.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

That is a very good point. The perception at one time I beleive was welcome let me show you to my products/service etc. Now the key objective is to get them to the site and keep them there. A Simple welcome will not do that. Attractive, engagging as stated above ae key factors. Our site uses humor to keep peoples interest as well.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    As an AM an amateurish site denotes an amateur. I don't have a problem with a newbie site and am actually thrilled to see one that has had a lot put into it. Just slapping up a first site with a template and then applying to every program doesn't impress me. Welcome looks weak to me and I doubt that I would approve the affiliate for one of my programs.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Saying "welcome" (NOT on a welcome PAGE! Just starting the spiel with the word "welcome".) is an okay, but nonstellar, type of thing--but any writer is going to know that it really means, "Hi, I had major 'blank page/blank mind' effect, and couldn't think of Jack else to say..."

I've got it on a few sites, myself. If I can't think of something with pizzazz that night, I figure, better to start by writing "welcome" than not end up writing anything at all. If I think up something better later, I can revise it then. At least "welcome" isn't anticonversionary.

But as Welshie said, the ideal pitch starts with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshie
    a profound statement that captures your audience.

Use your h1 and h2 to grab the readers attention and make your lead sentence impactful and relate to the h1 emphatically.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

*feels self conscious, goes to change one of my sites*

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I have "welcome" on our homepage but I like it Our site is more of an info site than commerce and we want to create a friendly, interactive atmosphere for our readers.

We always welcomed new clients at our clinic so I guess it's been instilled in me to be hospitable when dealing with the public. I know who my target audience is and they can be a very fickle group. I need to make them feel comfortable or welcome to our site, otherwise, they will go elsewhere.

On the flip side of that, I do understand that "welcome" can be tacky if used on a site that's not service related. Even in our taxidermy business we have a tendency to be a little chummy with existing and perspective clients because we are offering a service, not a product. We need to build at least some sort of small relationship with them or we could lose their business to a competitor.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    I agree with Rhea, I think it depends on the site and it's content.
    It makes sense for certain types of websites to have a Welcome page like government pages (see White House welcome page under that first link to the google search for "welcome") such as IRS or Social Services, universities and other academic institutions, and sites in the tourism/hospitality sector. These sites I think need an anchor with which to hold visitors since there is a lot of information, reading, and site mapping that goes on. Especially in these categories, you get a span of generations who may or may not be particularly web savvy (especially government sites) and need a welcome page so they can figure out where they are and where they want to go.

So I think what someone said above, that it depends on the content, is true. For informative sites such as the types I listed, I think its helpful. For coupon sites, ecommerce sites, game sites, etc the welcome page is something that is unnecessary because you already know what you want when you get to that site and its not too difficult to figure out how to get there.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Talking
    Sites that begin with "Welcome"
    For sale: 1990's newbie images. 99 each.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are good examples of 90s gifs, Mr. Sal
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reneton
    Oh, it's so 90's, modern sites begin with 'Who else wants to <insert desireable subject>' Renet
    How coincidental that you say that. I just read something a few days back that someone sent me that talked about that very phrase. I don't know that it does or does not work any better, but the coincidence intrigues me.

On a homefront note, I asked my wife to look for a new "Welcome" mat for our front entry. Rather than "Welcome" I'll have one made that reads:

"Who Else Wants To Enter Our Home?" I'll see what affect it has.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    Not cool. Definitely 90's. It screams to me, "I still think frames are cool!...And animated gifs!"
    Uh oh!!.... (calling programmer with changes)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread