Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Email Spam Control - What do you do?
    I am just overwhelmed with email spam (using some email addresses now for over 10 years) and finding it harder and harder to weed out the important email versus the junk. I've tried using my server spam filters, I've also set up filters on my email software, but still lots gets through and I occasionally miss a legitimate email.

I know this is a epidemic and only getting worse so I need to do whatever I can to gain more control. What methods/tools do all of you use?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Ron,
    I say open a Gmail account and send it all there. I get about 250 spam messages a day. I route all of my mail through Gmail and it filters it pretty well. I'd say I get about 4 or 5 each day that Gmail misses. I look at my spam sometimes before I delete it and they usually don't put real email in the spam box. You can now send and receive domain-based email through Gmail as well as you can use a Gmail address with Outlook and other mail clients. I am not sure if you get the benefit of their spam filter when using a mail client though.
    Where I list an email address on a site I use javascript so it is invisible to bots. That might or might not work anymore as bots get smarter.

Thanks, great suggestion. I get over 1,000 spam messages a day, so I really need ideas like this one.

I've seen instances where I've emailed someone and received an immediate response to reply to verify I am not sending a spam message. Anyone have any thing positive or negative about spam software/clients like that? As an affilaite manager, I sure don't want folks to jump through hoops to get to me, but this might work for some other email accounts I have.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

HI Ron,

I've been migrating over to gmail over the last couple of years and the spam filter has turned out to be the best feature.

With the new Google Apps, you can have G provide email service for your domains, instead of forwarding your email to an @gmail address.

I've switched all but one of my domains to G, leaving the one as an outside backup.

Tuan

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TLE
    HI Ron,

I've been migrating over to gmail over the last couple of years and the spam filter has turned out to be the best feature.

With the new Google Apps, you can have G provide email service for your domains, instead of forwarding your email to an @gmail address.

I've switched all but one of my domains to G, leaving the one as an outside backup.

Tuan
    Tuan, thank you for this info, I hadn't realized that!!! I was forwarding some domain mail to gmail, but I would rather they be my email service!!! Will take a load off my server also!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Deb,

Yup, load off the server is the point.

BTW, I use the standard/free edition (25 accounts @ 2GB each) which should be sufficient for most needs.

Feel free to email me if you need any help/suggestions, hope all is well in The Valley.

Tuan

Gmail is great for sure I agree. Their terms and conditions are scary though. They can basically have access to everything that hits your inbox. Now that may be me being a little paranoid but still, I like my privacy.

But I do still use gmail (not for business) and your right the filter works very well.

15 years and counting
    I use gmail too. They are the best to avoid spam.
    I hate seeing Google involved in so many activities (yep, it's scary) but I can't think of a better choice.

ABW Ambassador
    I get lots of spam with gmail, I guess it varies. I use hotmail and don't have a spam problem. I might get 10-15 spams a day for my main account. On new hotmail accounts I've opened, zero.

I've seen instances where I've emailed someone and received an immediate response to reply to verify I am not sending a spam message. Anyone have any thing positive or negative about spam software/clients like that?
    Ron - I would be one that did that to you. Here is my set up:

First I use Spam Assassin on the server set on 6/10 with a Junk folder set to auto delete in 7 days. The Junk folder gives enough time to get confident in the tightness of your setting. After a few weeks you need rarely go there.

I like having a domain based account for each site and don't care to route it all through gmail even though I have a gmail account and like it.

Second it comes through Choicemail, what you were talking about above, which stands between the server and Thunderbird. Choicemail goes under the assumption that all is spam and you need to be on my white list to get through.

You can do that 3 ways I think. By responding to the screening email that it sends you in which case I have to check off on it if you respond. The set up allows you to set how long to give the sender to apply. 99.9% that apply are good to allow. The second way to get in is to be in my address book. The third is to be the recipient of a message I sent.

Choicemail has filters but you don't need to do much. I see they have a free version now, but don't know about it. I paid for mine almost 3 years ago (version 2.66) The next level up has a 30 day trial.

Another vote for gmail. I route all my mail through their servers...hardly any spam!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Pumpaw, Thanks for the info. I've had several of those so not singling you out. I think what you use has advantages, but sure sounds like a lot of work.

Thanks all for the ideas...I will check them all out.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Speaking of spam...

Where is adfinity getting our email addresses from?

The one they used is not the one I use here, or ecomxpo or summit - it's not even on my website...

Subject: You're Invited to join Adfinity
    Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 02:43:23 -0800
    To: <me>

_Join Adfinity Today! Click Here for more information.

Are you earning the most revenue on your website traffic?

Adfinity dot com is the fastest growing affiliate network on the web because
    we provide awesome payouts on a range of tested high conversion offers.
    Whether you're looking for ringtones, dating, education, freebies and
    rewards, or numerous other types of campaigns, we've got a range of high
    profit campaigns for your traffic.

*Adfinity $500 Bonus
    Top 5 Reasons to Join Adfinity*

We have been over time as a newer network buying marketing material and mailings to get the word out about our network. The email came from an advertiser that we paid to get the word out about our network. If it was sent in an un-professional way of any kind please accept my sincerest apologies.

Just as most of you all are hard workers so are we and are just trying to gain business like anyone else.

Again if you are not happy about receiving that email please accept my apology. We are a very professional company that take things like this very seriously.

Billy Kay heard great things about you. I really hope that this did not rub you the wrong way about us.

15 years and counting
    ----------------------- Internet Header --------------------------------
    Sender: support@adfinity.com
    Received: from mail.adfinity.com ([221.5.40.104])
    Subject: Adfinity is emerging as a leader in the affiliate marketing industry
    "The email came from an advertiser that we paid to get the word out about our network."

I second what Billy Kay said:
    "Where is adfinity getting our email addresses from?"

We are just one of many CPA networks out there trying to get the attention of affiliates like yourself. If I told you who I was using to send out our advertising and recruitment e-mails I think I would be giving up my competitive edge. If anyone can understand this it would be SUPER AFFILIATES like yourselves. So far it must be working if we are able to get your attention. Now itís my turn to prove to you why I want you to give ADFINITY a shot to earn your business.

And again let me apologize to those who received an email that was unwanted.

15 years and counting
    adFinityJoe - Now itís my turn to prove to you why I want you to give ADFINITY a shot to earn your business.
    THIS IS SPAM.

Spamming to get my attention, come on.
    Spamming to earn my business: NO WAY.

I need to know from where you are getting our email addresses from.

Hey who stole my thread? (but good points above, Billy Kay and Zeus - we may need to split this off if more chime in.)
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I need to know from where you are getting our email addresses from.
    And who else they might be giving them to. Trading email lists is a problem.

So, according to AdFinity, it's acceptable to send spam if

1. You're a CPA Network

We are just one of many CPA networks out there...
    2. To simply get the word out

trying to get the attention of affiliates like yourself
    3. If you're a "super-affiliate"

If anyone can understand this it would be SUPER AFFILIATES like yourselves.

Are there any more quality reasons we should be aware of when SPAM is acceptable????????

Direct from their website:

What is your spam policy?

adFinity has zero tolerance for spam. If you received an email which you believe was sent to you without your permission and contains adFinity's url, please forward the email and your complaint to abuse at adfinity.com.
    Dear Adfinity,

Could you please report yourself to... er... yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by adFinityJoe
    We are just one of many CPA networks out there trying to get the attention of affiliates like yourself. If I told you who I was using to send out our advertising and recruitment e-mails I think I would be giving up my competitive edge. If anyone can understand this it would be SUPER AFFILIATES like yourselves. So far it must be working if we are able to get your attention. Now itís my turn to prove to you why I want you to give ADFINITY a shot to earn your business.

And again let me apologize to those who received an email that was unwanted.
    I'm not a (SUPER AFFILIATE) but, it looks like you're using a "China Network Communications" from Beijing, to send those emails.

Maybe my info is wrong, but that's some of the info I got from the 221.5.40.104 IP.

Alright everyone it appears that our decision to use this advertiser to promote our network wasnít the best choice.

Our intention when hiring them to mail out our network details and recruitment letter was never meant to be spammed or misused. According to some of you it has.

I am sorry for any problems this may have caused you we will cease using this company and you will have no further unwanted emails from us.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Hey who stole my thread?
    First of all, sorry for continuing on with the theme that stole your thread.

Here's what I do for some excellent 'spam-tracking' First of all, I setup a 'catch-all' for my domain. Then, anytime I give anyone (or any site really) an email address, I use something like 'theirdomain [at] mydomain.com'

Then, if I get spam from that address, I know where the spammers got it from.

Quote Originally Posted by adFinityJoe
    Alright everyone it appears that our decision to use this advertiser to promote our network wasnít the best choice.

Our intention when hiring them to mail out our network details and recruitment letter was never meant to be spammed or misused. According to some of you it has.

I am sorry for any problems this may have caused you we will cease using this company and you will have no further unwanted emails from us.
    Joe,

Sometimes happens!

But since you took about two hours to reply after I posted my post, all I want from you now, is to say if what I posted was right, or you was using someone else?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast