Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I've seen a lot of posts that touch on the need for a resolution to the ParasiteWareâ„¢ issue in advance of the holiday shopping season.

That is certainly a goal for me, but I would urge everybody to consider that any policies that are meted down from the solution providers to their merchants will take some time, due to corporate bureaucracy.

I think this is an important first step in the process, and not the final solution.

What do you think?

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.us/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Personally, It doesn't effect me as I've pretty much changed my strategy to go completely co-branded store(s). Now, if I ran an online mall and lost 10% of my monthly take, then I'd probably have a different tone. I simply won't take the chance that my links can get 'jacked.

However, I expect big things to happen eventually for the good of our industry. In time, we should end up with a "fair" resolution. Do I think affiliates will get everything they expect, no. But do I think that we'll get completely shafted, no.

As far as the holidays go, we're in full gear right now. If you're not, you're behind. I do not expect any decisions to happen this year that could change the next two months.

Shawn is right, be patient because it will take time. Or do what I did and change your strategy so they don't have the opportunity to do it to you.

ABW Ambassador
    I like Ralph Wilson's words:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The advertising or affiliate link that brings the shopper to the merchant's site should be credited with the sale. No usurping software should be allowed to subvert this process and divert affiliate commissions to those who did not earn them by initiating traffic to the site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(taken from http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt7/affil_hijack.htm )

Merchants can disassociate themselves from parasites at any time, and it only takes a few days to come into effect. All they need is to understand what's going on, plus the ethical backbone to do the right thing. That's where the real delays are, it seems ...

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not optimistic this makes any headway at all before the holiday season and I probably won't like progress made after it either since I'm opposed to "diversion or distraction from any bho plug in or other method used to divert or distract users viewing content on MY site".

IMHO It's going to take affiliates banding together and acting on specifically targeted merchants to make our stance felt along with network support to get this issue effectively addressed. Otherwise the parasites and the networks (and many merchants) keep taking a bite at a time. We might not can drop an entire network so easility but surely we can target individual merchants.

Let me go on record as saying we need a formal merchant awareness meeting and any help you and Madam Buckworks can do in forcing the networks to faciliate this would go along way. It annoys me to no end that I can't even get email addresses for my merchants at performics.

The days of merchants being able to claim ignorance on this issue will soon be gone. We know of existing merchants who are aware of the issue and are just insensitive to it. Why should we promote them now and help put more food on their table when all they want to do is take food off of our tables?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Well, as I recall, CJ DOES give people violating their TOS 7 days notice. I'm sure 7 days notice would serve as quite an impetus for change.

Additionally, parasites are WELL aware that they need to make changes in their business model, and they have had adequate time to anticipate changes that would be required.

The way I see it, there are specific, definite steps that must be taken immediately, to prevent parasites and their ilk from stealing Xmas shopping income from a majority of affiliates. These steps are quite doable.

I expect my representatives to go into this meeting with that attitude. Terminate the outright theft and redirection immediately.

Clean up the rest of this mess later.

No backing down, no platitudes about how great it is to 'finally meet'. Get their hands outta my wallet.

Anything less than this, and I think we will need to raise a crescendo of complaints unlike anything they have yet to comprehend.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

As far as patience goes, well, NO. This meeting is occurring because they have already used up our patience.

The network that goes into this meeting and bends over backwards to get results NOW, IMMEDIATELY, will dwarf the other networks in growth three months from now: affiliates will flow to them.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Well, as I recall, CJ DOES give people violating their TOS 7 days notice. I'm sure 7 days notice would serve as quite an impetus for change.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, when I was accused of cheating, the first I knew of it was an email saying that my account had been closed and all commissions had been forfeited.

So there really is no need for any delay. If they wanted, CJ could do something about the thieves NOW!

However, their selective adherance to their TOS by CJ speaks volumes.

My personal solution is to simply stop promoting the merchants who allow the parasites to steal from me. That affects the parasites income, the merchants income and also CJ's (or Linkshare, BeFree, Performics et al). Now I search for in-house programs or become the merchant by dropshipping.

So the bottom line is let them all take as long as they like, they'll get no more from me.

Just trying to make an honest buck

ABW Ambassador
    The network representatives are going to hear a number of speakers on November 7th. There will also be a Q&A period. The goal is to obtain unified standards within in a short period of time after this meeting. I would expect very early December at the latest.

There will no definitive solutions being announced at the meeting. However, I do feel very optimistic that definitive actions will come in a reasonable amount of time.

I am sure there will be a number of people in the decision making process and decisions will have to be drafted and approved by their legal teams and then be agreed upon by each executive team. This is if they all agree- I can extend no guarantee that they will.

To expect companies, who are all fierce competitors, to come together and agree on a standard in one hour, or even one day, is not practical or reasonable. The vast majority of people I have spoken with agree that an announcement by early December is reasonable.

Until resolutions are announced affiliates and/or merchants that feel there are problems have the option of disengaging themselves from any partnerships they feel are not mutually beneficial.

regards,

Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

Wayne's quote-
    Until resolutions are announced affiliates and/or merchants that feel there are problems have the option of disengaging themselves from any partnerships they feel are not mutually beneficial.
    - - - - - - -- - - - --

Yes, or they can ENGAGE themselves with any partnerships that are not mutually beneficial, until the partner changes.

I'm not going to withdraw from life just because they aren't playing fair.

And Wayne, not meaning to be tough on you at all, thanks for your help, I really appreciate what you are doing - I just want everyone attending to understand that NO, actually, affiliates should not back off if things don't go their way.

They should press forward and upward, and raise a ruckus, if things are not resolved fairly and quickly.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

ABW Ambassador
    Amazing how certain people always cite a "vast majority" or some incredibly high percentage...

No decision until early December means a vast majority of the holiday sales period will be affected.

There is no reason all networks have to agree before starting to take action. That is just a stall tactic.

(notice how ebates has not implemented its new affiliate-friendly version, haven't heard a peep out of our trusty Overstock.com AM).

The holiday period is the perfect time to pull merchants links. Particularly when some relatively important affiliates do it in concert against a select list.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, or they can ENGAGE themselves with any partnerships that are not mutually beneficial, until the partner changes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes- Exactly!
    Affiliates and merchants have the ultimate decision making power.

I do know the networks are working diligently on the issues and they will announce their decisions within a reasonable time frame from the meeting. You will probably see a joint press release. However, I do not know what the outcome will be.

I would add that many people have said that merchants "do not know" about these issues.

While this may be true in some cases I don't believe this is always the case.

Many merchants *do know* about the issues and they actively choose to work with client-side software applications.

I have to ask how merchants can have large partners and not know how they operate? That seems almost reckless to me.

-wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Jimbo,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Amazing how certain people always cite a "vast majority" or some incredibly high percentage...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you referring to "people" or just me Jimbo?

That is based on my phone conversations, talks with merchants at industry events, and e-mail correspondance. I don't have an exact count, but on a whole most people are willing to be a bit more patient.

If you are not happy with that then it is certainly your choice and you should do what you feel is best for your interests.

regards,
    Wayne

- - - - - - - - - - -
    Many merchants *do know* about the issues and they actively choose to work with client-side software applications.

I have to ask how merchants can have large partners and not know how they operate? That seems almost reckless to me.
    - - - - - - -

I agree.........

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Wayne...

You said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am sure there will be a number of people in the decision making process and decisions will have to be drafted and approved by their legal teams and then be agreed upon by each executive team. This is if they all agree- I can extend no guarantee that they will.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have any idea after speaking with these folks up to this point as to whether there is any kind of consensus at all? Or, do you think they are waiting until the meeting to throw their own ideas on the table, and to just arm-wrestle until one idea comes to the fore?

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    ObstinateDon,

I cannot divulge any confidential information, but I think it is safe to say that things are moving in a positive direction in terms of companies working together and discussing issues.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread