Profiling PHP for better performance
    For you PHPers that want to kick it up a notch. BAM!

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/...e-with-xdebug/
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I don't know why, some people like to code their pages in a way that unless we have our resolution set at 1024x768 or higher, we won't be able to read their content.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I don't know why, some people like to code their pages in a way that unless we have our resolution set at 1024x768 or higher, we won't be able to read their content.
    Because they're targeting you Mr. Sal - as punishment for derailing the topics of many a thread, including this one.

Patrick,

what did you find when you looked at your profile? what is the speed differenece you noticed and how much traffic do you have at any given time?

nice article thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Because they're targeting you Mr. Sal - as punishment for derailing the topics of many a thread, including this one.
    So you believe that I derail the topics of many threads?

And you also believe that I have derailed this thread just because I commented on a real fact about what I saw on the content of the page I tried to read from a link that was posted on this thread?

Thanks a lot for your observations, MR. Donuts!

042407-3281

side note: since were derailed

2007January (site not known)
    Higher 26%
    1024x768 54%
    800x600 14%
    640x480 0%
    Unknown 6%

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    side note: since were derailed

2007January (site not known)
    Higher 26%
    1024x768 54%
    800x600 14%
    640x480 0%
    Unknown 6%
    On a site of mine that is very webmaster-oriented (as is SitePoint), I get less than 4% 800x600, with the usual 6% unknown/other. I suspect the feeling is that webmasters/developers are less likely to use low resolution. True to my site; might be true in general.

All that said, now I should probably go read the article that kicked this thread off.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I guess I don't see the problem either Sal with the low % of people that use under 1024. However I don't think you derailed this thread

ABW Ambassador
    It isn't off topic at all to bring up resolution. Some people still have a good number of visitors who use lesser resolutions (who also have credit cards and spend money), and it's a usability issue.

There will never be agreement on the issue because people serve different markets and demographics, but it is a valid issue to point out.

But I guess some people's opinions are less important than other people's opinions, so maybe that just settles that.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    It isn't off topic at all to bring up resolution. Some people still have a good number of visitors who use lesser resolutions (who also have credit cards and spend money), and it's a usability issue.

There will never be agreement on the issue because people serve different markets and demographics, but it is a valid issue to point out.

But I guess some people's opinions are less important than other people's opinions, so maybe that just settles that.
    Nailed it!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Keep in mind what your resolution stats say is not necessarily what people see. I have 1440 x 900 resolution, but I don't keep my browser windows open any wider than about 800px. I've got lots of other stuff going down on my desktop too, so I need to see my other windows!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the colors on my computer are different cuz i use an older style ibm monitor with a tinted reflection screen. patrick24601, why doesn't this php error debugging software you posted about fix that?

A thousand apologies. I will write to the author and see what he can do about that.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread