http://catalogs.google.com/cathp

Well, this is not looking good.

And they are NOT charging the publishers either.

You have to imagine that although it is free now, they have to find a way to monetize it.

It's been around for a while like this. I don't think it will really impact things much, to be honest. However, the rumours that Google are going to start affiliate marketing is a different issue.....

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/6023.htm

Hello:
    This is Marifer from Catalogs.com. We have been monitoring the Google Catalog experiment for about a year. They used to have the link to the catalog page on Google's main page but they have taking it off and is a little hard for a user to find it. We deal with the same cataloguers most of which don't know their catalogs have been scanned and publish by Google. I know that the ones who know about this are not happy at Google's scanning their catalogs without their permission and have threaten to sue them. Still, we found that their experiment has not posed a threat to Catalogs.com and our affiliate program (we pay up to .75 per catalog request- All catalogs are free). Please keep in mind that Google does not have agreements/right to publish the catalogs they have up there.

This might become a threat if the word gets spread around and Google decides to promote their mini site and charge the catalog companies. I am requesting from all members of the affiliate community not to promote Google's catalog site but rather promote Catalogs.com.

Please let me know your thoughts about this topic- is greatly appreciated.

Marifer Vergara
    Affiliate Manager
    Catalogs.com
    The #1 Source for Catalogs!!
    http://www.catalogs.com
    AOL: Marifer006
    MSN: NanaVergara
    Yahoo: maria_maria_s

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    We have all had real sales reporting problems for years with CatalogCity group and their e-catalog product displays are a definite PITA.

I assume you run a service for those with paper catalogs who want to request them and you sell no products. I'm not inclined to promote any "lead" merchant due to backend alliances with opt-out spammers and telemarketers. Others here are very active in pushing lead programs.

WebMaster Mike

Mike:
    I guess you are addressing me and Catalogs.com's program. We are a catalog request website and have been doing this since 1997. We were known as CatalogSavings.com and I have changed everything to Catalogs.com.

We are very selective with the advertisers we work with. We have a very strict No-Spam policy and have kept away from doing business related to spam. Heck, they are all about 2 hours from here in Boca Raton.

As far as been contacted by the cataloguers, people on our website can opt-in to receive info from the cataloguers after they requested their catalog.

And, we do pay per lead but we do not charge for any of the catalogs we offer--We do not collect credit cards at all.

Marifer Vergara
    Affiliate Manager
    Catalogs.com
    The #1 Source for Catalogs!!
    http://www.catalogs.com
    AOL: Marifer006
    MSN: NanaVergara
    Yahoo: maria_maria_s

What is it we are supposed to get paid for? If someone subscribes to your newsletter?

Chances of that are nill, none and nothing.

It is way down the page and not at all what people going to your site want, anyway. They are off to the merchants to look at their site where you get paid but we don't. Sorry, I don't see that your program has anything to offer me.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread