Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    ROFL, MI Farmer Jack's Goin' Down
    Just gotta share this.

*Gloating and Schadenfreude*

Farmer Jack to Sell Michigan Stores

Some of you may know that years ago, I used to have a j*b at one of these stores.

I TOLD 'em they were going about things wrong (in several ways, but I don't want to list 'em all, at least not in this post)...but they wouldn't listen! Noooo! And now they've finally gotten the degree from the School of Hard Knocks, instead!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

*/gloating*

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Since when did a "Farmer" know "Jack" about running a retail business anyway?

Reading the article, I was kind of puzzled over why A&P don't keep the stores and convert them over to the A&P name and model. Presumably, the stores aren't competing against A&P stores and if they are, then why sell them to a competitor who might be better competitors. It sounds like the problem is something to do with the Farmer Jack system itself. And, since A&P feels its own model is good enough it can expand elsewhere, why not convert the Farmer Jack stores to a model they think is successful? It sounds like A&P's management is as bad as that of Farmer Jack.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Years and years ago, A&P did have their own name on stores in MI. Then they bought FJ and changed the A&Ps to say FJ instead! The A&P name in this area was associated with older stores, while FJ was considered the better one. Once they renamed 'em, there wasn't any competition (around here) between the various A&P-owned stores--it was either FJ, or some unrelated chain. Which would be Kroger, in nearly every area.

So they probably couldn't stand to eat the crow, and put A&P back on everything. Plus, if they didn't stop running the places like they had their heads surgically implanted up their.... it wouldn't have helped.

I didn't w*rk there while they were still using the A&P name, but from the customer-side I didn't see any big difference in how they actually ran 'em, other than the fact that as FJ they spent more on maintenance and floor wax than they had done as A&P.

It sounds like the problem is something to do with the Farmer Jack system itself.
    Their business philosophy and operating procedures are made of whacky-weed clippings and crack rock shavings mixed together

I'm really surprised it took this long to implode!
    Last edited by Leader; April 25th, 2007 at 02:22 AM.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread