As an affiliate, when is your job done?
    Is it when you make a sale, or is it when the visitor has clicked your affiliate link and moved over to the merchant site?

(There are of course other goals such as acquiring recurring visitors and making visitors purchase items that are more profitable to the affiliate but I would like to focus on the first two).

Let's assume your site is selling ink cartridges or plus size clothing or any other popular affiliate product these days (my point is that your site is NOT selling a very specific product which requires a pre sale pitch like a money making ebook or the latest magic abs machine) . You've done your keyword research, google is behaving nicely and search engine traffic is rising with the right keywords for your niche.

Now let's assume that a decent number of visitors are clicking your affiliate link and are directed to the merchants’ websites. Who is to blame for a poor conversion rate, you or the merchants?

Quote Originally Posted by krelian
    Now let's assume that a decent number of visitors are clicking your affiliate link and are directed to the merchants’ websites. Who is to blame for a poor conversion rate, you or the merchants?
    All depends. It could be you (if they are untargeted hits, not really seriously interested in the end product, but, say, triggered by an attractive coupon/discount offer), or it could very well be the merchant (that may have all sorts of things going wrong: from landing pages to generally unattractive/uncompetitive offers/pricing). All depends on many factors, and no one true-for-all-situations answer may be given.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    To me success is a sale. Nothing else really matters.

First, I find the right merchant. This merchant has THE RIGHT PRODUCT AT THE RIGHT PRICE, and an attractive and reliable website. The merchant must also have a track record of paying promptly.

Then I research the keywords, write good ad copy and send the merchant good targeted traffic.

If we BOTH do our jobs right, a sale is made! And I'm very happy

I've always thought of the affiliate as a marketer, someone whose job is to bring the customer into the shop, so to speak. Then, imho, it's the merchant's job to make the sale.

Having said that, the affiliate has an obvious interest in helping make that sale more likely. This can be done by providing enough presale information to the customer so they can decide to buy while still on your site, and then making the link a call to action (=buy).
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

My job as an affiliate is done when the customer eventually dies. Until then, I want them coming back to my site regularly, telling everyone they know about my site, and ordering frequently.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    My job as an affiliate is done when the customer eventually dies. Until then, I want them coming back to my site regularly, telling everyone they know about my site, and ordering frequently.
    Hey, that's my job!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    My job as an affiliate is done when the customer eventually dies.
    Don't you promote coffins?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As an affiliate, when is your job done?
    Is it when you make a sale, or is it when the visitor has clicked your affiliate link and moved over to the merchant site?
    It's not an either/or. It's like passing a ball: In order for the merchant to make the catch, YOU have to throw properly.

But the short answer is, when I make a sale. I don't use merchants who I figure can't catch. So if the conversion ratio isn't at a certain level, I figure I need to throw better.

Who is to blame for a poor conversion rate, you or the merchants?
    It could be either, but since I don't use merchants unless I think they can do their end, I tend to look in the mirror first.

Only AFTER taking all the steps I can to improve my conversion ratio, do I start blaming the merchant. Writing different spin, updating my site, etc. comes first. After all, if I saw something unconversionary about the merchant's site, I wouldn't have signed up to begin with!

On the other hand, if I'm using a page format that I know converts, or if the conversion ratio suddenly drops, then I recheck the merchant site to see if they did a redesign. Sometimes a merchant's customers simply will not like a new design--and, sometimes the new design doesn't look "bad" either. Whether a new design will work depends on the customers they've built up. One merchant in particular had their sales tank after going from a cheesy design to a very pro-looking, high-end one. I figure their old customers assumed that the prices had risen to match (kind of like if you went to a thrift store, but found a Nordstrom's atmosphere when you went in).

Also I start to check for reviews on the merchant, to make sure they aren't getting a bad reputation. Sometimes people won't buy from a place because it sucks...

ABW Ambassador
    Leader thanks for the tip. I can't believe that I didn't think to check a merchant's online reputation. Googling a few right after I leave here.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    With all do respect to MichaelColey, my job is done when I'm dead not when the customer is dead, b/c there are plenty of live customers to replace the dead ones. And after I'm dead who cares if I make any sales anymore, although I do hope someone keeps my cow dance running, maybe add a 21 moo salute and of course no lawnmowers to mow my grave. I would like a virgin heifer be sent out each day to graze my grave. I suppose the adsence I get from the cow dance can pay for it. I suppose the grave stone should be painted in a cow print pattern

But I would like that this opportunity to express my condolences to all my visitors who have died, especially those who have died in some sort of weird cow accident.

OK, I've gone crazy, but u know know I can get goofy every once in a while.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread