What From Name Should You Use?
    When sending out newsletters what From Name is most effective?

Looking in my inbox, I see several recurring types of From Names:

1) "Affiliate Team", "affiliates", "affiliategroup", etc. This is totally useless. I can't tell who it's from. Even worse, some of these don't clearly identify their company in the email either.
    2) Affiliate manager name (or variations thereof). This is only useful if I know the affiliate manager. Even so, with many I have to think to remember what company it is. Keep in mind that many of your affiliates won't know who you are.
    3) Company name. This is considerably better, but I still can't distinguish between affiliate newsletters and other newsletters.
    4) Company Name Affiliate Team. This is the best! Hats off to the merchants who use this or similar From names.

So merchants: Take a look at the From Name in your newsletters. Are you using the best possible From name? If you work for Widgets.com, you should use "Widgets.com Affiliate Team" or "Widgets.com Affiliate Manager" or "Widgets.com Affiliate Program" or "Widgets.com Affiliate Newsletter" for all of your affiliate newsletters.

On a related topic, make sure you provide full contact information in every newsletter and email.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just found the perfect example of what not to do. Here's a newsletter from one merchant:

To: mcoley@amazing-bargains.com
    Date: Apr 25, 2007 4:49 PM
    Subject: Spring Coupon Offers

Get 10% Off of Your Order - or - Free Shipping with our special coupon codes. See Site for Details
    Get Html

Valued Publisher,

. . . check our latest Coupon Code promotion below . . .

SPRING COUPON OFFERS!

Now, for a limited time only - you can pick which way you want to save . . .

Save 10% off of your order!
    - OR -
    Choose the Free 'Budget' Shipping Coupon!

Offer Information Coupon Code

10% Off Coupon KUX004xr00
    Free 'Budget' Shipping Coupon Code KUX094xy55

Get 10% Off of Your Order - or - Free Shipping with our special coupon codes. See Site for Details
    Get Html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To use a promotional code: on the shopping cart page where it says: "Your Shopping Cart Contents" just click on the Blue Link where it says: "Enter Coupon Code" and follow the on screen instructions.

* These offers are good on in-stock items only. Coupon offers/codes may not be combined. Please see site for more details including latest pricing, availability, and restrictions on each offer. 10% offer has a maximum discount of $18.00, Free 'Budget' Shipping offer is valid on orders of $25 or more. You must select the 'Budget Shipping' option in the scroll down menu. This offer is not available where prohibited by law.

Information
    This special offer is only available until 5/15/2007 11:59:00 PM Eastern Time or while supplies last.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was sent by an advertiser in the Commission Junction network based on the mail settings selected in your account. Commission Junction does not send messages to individuals outside of its network and guards the privacy of all information received. To unsubscribe from receiving this type of message, login or visit www.cj.com to sign in. Once in the Account Manager, navigate to the mail settings page located within the MAIL tab. You may opt-out of receiving messages from this specific advertiser through their advertiser detail page.
    There was absolutely NOTHING ANYWHERE telling what company this is from. I had to click through "Get Html", get the link, and click on it to see who it was from.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yeah, we were just talking about that one, not one mention of the company. Idiots

Right, I got this back:
    We apologize for any confusion the recent mailing caused. We accidentally cut/pasted the name of the Coupon Offer in two different fields on CJ.com.

You live and learn I guess.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Good point Michael,

I was just telling a merchant that her emails should be sent and be seing to affiliates as:

That's how I've always set them up for merchant programs from day one, makes it even eaiser to identify on rules folders too.

Even my own email I have it as:

From corporation I guess Company Name Affiliate Manager works best for me because I either don't know or can't remember every single name. But I also want to see the affiliate manager's actual name and contact info in the email.

It's okay if the affilaite manager puts his / her name on the title too. Not a big deal. For OPMs like Jorge I like to see the OPMs name just like Jorge does it.

I don't like anything bordering on anonymous, and above all I don't like anything with the word "Team" in it. First thing that crosses my mind is "Team my a ss " and "So which one of you team am I talkin' to here?".

A team is faceless, over-used, corporate speak IMHO of course.
    Last edited by mr_jones; April 25th, 2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added "over-used"

Excellent point Michael. In CJ, I usually just used the company name so this gives me something to consider. With SAS, we don't have much choice with only the "from" email dropdown as an option.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I like to include the signature block I use in my emails which include my name, phone, email, IM's (3) and forum links. It gives the affiliate a chance to contact me directly in half a dozen ways.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I don't send out correspondence without sending a preview to myself first. Then I read through it again and ask myself, "If I were on the receiving end, what would my expectations be?"

My From address currently reads as Kim Rodgers [affiliatemanager@4checks-affiliates.com], and I close all emails with full contact information - name, email and direct phone number. I certainly can't help someone if they can't find me.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Great suggestion! I just changed mine to Jason Rosenbaum - MINDsprinting.com
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's a suggestion, use your name and brand yourself as the affiliate manager. Once affiliate know who you are they are more inclined to read your email. Also, set everyone of your auto reply emails via the network to have you full contact information. Then if you are getting a lot of spammy applications you can tighten your filter but it still gives the affiliate an ooportunity to reach you. I get a lot of auto apply applications from affiliate who do not ever pull a link. I would rather work with the ones that really want to join and help them get started.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    What about individual emails you receive from affiliate programs from the AM - such as coupon update or news on the program? You'd normally see those as FROM [affiliate manager name]. Is that also confusing or do you tend to recognize those names and email addresses more?
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the NAME, not the ADDRESS. I think "affiliates@companyurl.com" is probably the best address, but that doesn't really matter as much as the name. The name is what I see in my list of emails.

Here's a suggestion, use your name and brand yourself as the affiliate manager.
    This is great INSIDE the newsletter, but I wouldn't recommend it with the From Name. It's more important to let the affiliate clearly see what company the newsletter is from. Plus, with OPMs that manage multiple programs, a name doesn't tell me that.

What about individual emails
    For individual emails, I actually prefer the individual's name (and usually a different email address). It's basically just newsletters where I suggest using the company name as the from name.

I was just telling a merchant that her emails should be sent and be seing to affiliates as:

Careful there. Many email programs will display that as "affiliates". Make sure to include a NAME as well. For instance:

From: "Widgets.com Affiliate Manager" <affiliates@widgets.com>
    Even my own email I have it as:

Keep in mind that there is a limited amount of space and the end of long names might be cut off. Yours should be fine, but some longer ones might not display the whole thing. For the from name in newsletters, I think the company name is more important than the AM name, so I would suggest people order it like "JRami.com - Jorge Ramirez".

That's a good point, too. I think "CompanyName.com - John Smith" would be a fine alternative to "CompanyName.com - Affiliate Newsletter", although I tend to prefer the latter a little more.

One other advantage of having the word "affiliate" in the From Name... Many of us search our spam folders for that word to make sure nothing got flagged incorrectly. I always find a few.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Bumping this with an example of what not to do.

Going thru my email see one with an attachment.

From - person's real name
    Subject - (none)

Looks like spam, normally I delete.

It's from CJ/Only Natural Pet Store

http and a telephoto
    At Shareasale the from field is chosen from addresses in the contact interface, we can't customize it to say anything in addition to the address itself. So I use subject line instead "Company Name Affiliate Newsletter"
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    At Shareasale the from field is chosen from addresses in the contact interface, we can't customize it to say anything in addition to the address itself. So I use subject line instead "Company Name Affiliate Newsletter"
    I wondered about that.

This is a very old thread, but thanks for bumping. The info is still in the realm of Best Practices.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    This is a very old thread, but thanks for bumping. The info is still in the realm of Best Practices.

I have just noticed that it was from 07. Glad to know that it is still the best practice to use.

http and a telephoto
    Using the company name in the title is key to getting read. There are some other threads about emails from managers, and we plan to do a Merchant ABCs podcast about it too, there are lots of affiliates that have very strong opinions about what to do and not to do with affiliate program newsletters. I'll see if I can find the link to one of the threads. I have it printed actually to use some the info (with permission from the poster).
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I received one from a network yesterday that showed

Subject: (no subject)

If not for my filter, it would have gone to spam automatically.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread