Our Teacher Strike Ends!!
    Yay! After a 10-day teacher strike (actually, 21 calendar days from April 5 through April 25, but Spring Break fell in there), our school district finally reached an agreement with the teacher's union tonight, and our child will finally go back to school tomorrow. It's been emotionally draining, and unfortunately our district's top administrators chose to show dreadful disrespect and contempt for teachers.

I'm just glad to get my wife back -- she's been working nearly full-time (on top of her full-time job) helping to form a district-wide parent group, and hopefully now I can go back to my affiliate work. Alas, our daughter's teacher will NOT be returning to the classroom (due to a family health problem unrelated to the strike), so we're facing some very tough decisions about how best to help her catch up and finish the 6th grade.

And, of course, the distraction kept me from trying to meet up with any ABW folks at the AdTech conference across the bay. :-(

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Now it's time for the STUDENT strike! That's what we did in high school after our teachers' strike ended. Someone called for a sit-down strike and we were pretty much all in...THEN we came up with a "reason" and some demands! LOL It actually came to some good, once the student council members (budding politicians with a sense of what will go over) got in and replaced the immature demands with some that the school board would actually agree to some of. It was funny to watch the school's reaction go from "we'll expel all of you!" to "we'll suspend you for weeks" down to a meek "OK" in a matter of 3 or 4 days, when they realized that expelling/suspending hundreds of high schoolers really wasn't an option.

It was a definite "what I learned in school they didn't intend to teach me!" moment. "How to Peacefully Revolt and Win" wasn't supposed to be on the curriculum

As for your daughter "catching up," there shouldn't be any catching up to do. The whole school was closed, it's not like she skipped 10 days while everyone else kept going. So, nobody would have had a chance to get ahead of her.

Unfortunately, that might not stop the teacher from loading the whole class down with a bunch of extra work to "make up for lost time."

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Leader we had a similar experience in high school.. at our revolt we all just left. Student walk out. Same reaction from administrators.. 'Get back here or you're in trouble' while it was happening to 'Please come back' once 900 students left the campus..

Leader - when I referred to 'catching up,' I was referring to the fact that our daughter's regular teacher was already gone (on family leave) for many weeks during the past few months before the strike, and now we're only going to have a substitute for the rest of the year. During the strike, we realized that the school curriculum doesn't match the state standards -- basically, because of the pressures of the "No Child Left Behind" law, under which our 6th-graders are tested ONLY on language arts and math, there has been very little social studies or science -- I don't think they are even one-quarter into the social studies curriculum, with only six weeks of class remaining (and no teacher); it's unclear if they've even opened the science text all year.

The district is continuing to treat the strike days as "regular instructional days," so there will be no make-up days. The district reported that about 20% of students attended classes during the strike, but that's an inflated figure that includes hundreds of students who were allowed to simply sign in and then go home each day; in a court filing this week, the district admitted that those who remained did not receive instruction nor even worksheet packets matched to their grade levels or subjects. At the board meeting last night, one high school junior stated that the ONLY "curriculum" he was offered at school during the strike was a packet to prepare for the High School Exit Exam, which he and most juniors had already passed a year ago.

Next week, our district's students will take the California STAR tests, with virtually no preparation. (At one local high school, the principal decided to go ahead and start administering the tests during the strike, with students sitting in the gym bleachers to take the test, which was illegally proctored [supervised] by custodians.) Our district will almost certainly face huge penalties from the state because of the strike.

(Yeah, I have some strong feelings about this strike, and the administrators and school board members who deliberately provoked it.)

I don't think teachers should have the right to strike. I am glad NYC has a law against it.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread