Product Links User Backlash?
    I have some pages for individual products that are linked like this:
    1. The product image is linked out to the merchant.
    2. The product name is linked out to the merchant.
    3. "Buy at My Merchant" is linked out.
    Now I'm thinking having 1 and 2 as links could make some users mad as they are unexpectedly moved to a new site. If this page is where they entered my site they might expect those links to go to more information there, and not to a new site. Is one clearly marked link enough?

ABW Ambassador
    I think 1 clearly marked link is enough.

But you might consider a second link to another page on your site with more product info. You could link that second page back to the first as well. This would help with people who expect to stay on your site. And it is an opportunity to attract customers with different keywords to the same product.

Affiliate Manager
    If you're trying to build user loyalty for you site and brand then 1 prominent link is probably enough. If it's your typical datafeed site then I'd the more links the better since your #1 goal is to get the visitor to the merchant's site.

I'm experimenting now with having just the one link on a single product page. I've been polling some local friends, and it just seems right.

I was careless though. I whacked all 3 links on those pages, but was lucky and caught it the next day.

Definitely one link. I think the best thing to do with the product image is to have a zoom feature. It would be even nicer to have a zoom with "next" and "previous" arrows to browse through multiple product images. If you're doing price comparison you'll usually have a variety of product images to choose from in which case you can allow your customers to browse through them in thumbnail or large format.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I always use AT LEAST 3 links. Usually just 3, but if I write lots of spin on the page, then I put in more so people can go ahead and BUY no matter when they decide not to read anymore. I do avoid the "Christmas tree" effect (overdoing it by linking up every keyword), though.

As for users ending up on a different site, I figure that's what a link is for...if the link wasn't going to take them elsewhere it'd be in the nav, not the main body of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpaw
    I've been polling some local friends, and it just seems right.
    Don't just ask your friends, who don't buy (or if you get 'em to, they're doing it because they're your friend, not because of your site). Look at your STATS!!! Compare the conversion ratio of new version vs. old.

The Commission Check is **THE ONLY** critic whose opinion means a single thing. All other discussion is just filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think the best thing to do with the product image is to have a zoom feature.
    That definitely should be good. But unfortunately, CJ merchants just have one size of pic in the feed. Same with Perf, IIRC.

Also, when it comes to a true zoom like clothes sites often use (rather than what would better be described as "view larger image"), if the picture isn't big or detailed enough, it just pixelates. I've seen a few merchants where "zooming" actually made the detail get lost, and that was on their own sites.

Multiple images are also cool, but that can only be done where there ARE multiples to show. It may be hard to imagine, but there are plenty of items out there where there are--fortunately--NOT lots of different merchants selling the same thing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread