Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Any comments about Petsmart?
    Hello,

Is anyone currently promoting Petsmart? I read some posts in this forum dated 0.5-1.5 years ago, about serious tracking problems with them etc., but how is situation now? I have started with them a couple of weeks ago and getting suspicious about abscence of any sales. I am sending them very targetted traffic, but nothing happens so far. Analogous products from other advertisers (from CJ) are converting pretty well, that is why I wonder. Any comments or advice are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    you are right. They were having tracking issues and as of like 9 months ago, they still had issues then but I have not been keeping abreast with that. You might want to check Test orders forum on ABW

Thanks a lot for your post! I am new at ABW and had not discovered Test Purchase Reports Forum yet, so your advice was very helpful. Thanks

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    in this case.. Welcome and do contribute

Test purchase link
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

also do a search for "Pets mart" or "petsmart" in the Linkshare forum and also test purchase forum.

Welcome aboard

Thank you very much for your warm welcome and kind assistance! I am glad to be here!

Just wanted to add my 2 pennies since I've never seen a product sell so poorly or most likely have tracking problem.

My stats from Adwords (very targetted PPC):
    From
    8/3 to 8/10
    233 clicks 12.95% CTR $67.3 position 3.4

0 sales.

This is not really funny but PetSmart is a dog :-)

I'm probably going to email the aff. manager and try 1 more week...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Great CTR so the Ads must be enticing. I'd suggest trying out some Google adsense Ads from their beta merchant pool. Look for those taking the time to include category and hot product links and Banners. If they don't show banners then some robot just ported over some lame text Ads with homepage landing pages.

August PPA adsence clicks 97. Number of sales 11. Commission 96.40. Nice part is the merchant landing pages don't trigger BHO's and their are no couponers hawking their domains or brands. Always checkout if a merchant has privacy issues like MetaRewards or others poaching customer info & CC from their shopping cart checkout pages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    As an affiliate, the only sale I've ever made was the hampster food I bought myself

I receive weekly emails as a customer - don't think I've ever received an email as an affiliate

15 years and counting
    Petsmart likes parasites as much as pets. They are working with commission stealing affiliates like eBates, uPromise and others.
    So don't expect too much.
    Their tracking works

ABW Ambassador
    I remember those past tracking problem threads with PetSmart and felt they were having issues myself. I see sales every now and then but it's not the best program for me and there are other pet merchants I like better.

Oh yeah, was just checking those past threads, I said:

"Something is definitely wrong with Petsmart, I am sure of it. There is a tracking problem somewhere. They used to convert great for me and I just now checked stats and don't send them a lot of traffic and they're 0 for the last 500+ clicks. I used to be around 8% conversion."

But I've been getting sales since then but now a little leary.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    OK, saw this & HAD to post!

They've been through a couple of AM since I joined 3 yrs ago. I can never get a call back when I call - long distance no less!

They are getting ready to completely re-do their site and I have over 400 links to REPLACE! I'm mad as heck and want to drop them!

However, dropping them puts me in a real bind - all the toys and carriers are through them & I'm having trouble getting replacement links.

Now, as far as sales go- I guess they don't track very well. I get over 320 CT a month and maybe 4-5 sales. Not a good percentage, but about average every month. I REALLY want to drop them!

HELP! I've posted elsewhere about how to get a datafeed from another merchant - this one on SAS & seems like a better program. Unable to access the datafeed I was approved for & am looking for help. Getting them lined up, I'll drop PetSmart in a hot second!

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen

I'll drop PetSmart in a hot second!

I replied to questions in both posts.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen
    They've been through a couple of AM since I joined 3 yrs ago. I can never get a call back when I call - long distance no less!
    Who are you calling? Petsmart is managed by Linkshare. There is no in-house AM listed.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    Get hold of their corporate offices, there's somebody. I got an email about a week ago telling me the bad news (posted below): Sign up for email & you'll get these type notices....

=====================================
    <petsmartaffiliates_at_linkshare.com>

We'll be launching the new and improved PetSmart.com on August 29!

What does the new site mean to you? If your links are updated automatically
    through LinkShare, you don't need to take any action. However, if you copy and
    paste links, you will need to visit LinkShare on August 29 to retrieve new
    links.

What does this mean for your customers?

A FABULOUS SHOPPING EXPERIENCE

- View your shopping cart from any product page and watch it update as items
    are added or subtracted.
    - See all the details you need to make decisions with larger images than ever.
    - Pay quickly and easily with Google Checkout.TM
    - Access recently-viewed products easily.

A FABULOUS SHIPPING EXPERIENCE

- Receive products quicker than ever.
    - Choose from more low-cost shipping options starting at $4.99.
    - Ship product to multiple addresses.

A FABULOUS LEARING EXPERIENCE

- Follow the Smart Pet Path to a library of pet-related articles and care
    guides.
    - Find product recommendations or demonstration videos in the Solutions Center.
    - Connect with pet parents and get expert advice on pet-related topics in the
    online pet community.

A FABULOUS GIVING EXPERIENCE

- Choose to gift wrap products.
    - Include the message of your choice with gifts.
    - Give recipients immediate access to shipping with E-gift Certificates.

Dana Lanzaro
    PetSmart Affiliate Program
    =====================================

Since I don't have automatically updating links, I have to change them all out & if I stick with PetSmart, I'll have to do it all overnight! Forget that!

ABW Ambassador
    You're just wasting your time calling their corporate office. Their corporate office doesn't manage their affiliate program.

I don't see how you are in a bind, tn-morgen. It's about as cut and dried as you can get. Your time is certainly not worth changing out 400 links manually for 4 or 5 sales per month. Just drop them. You're just giving them free advertising.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL.... - Pay quickly and easily with Google Checkout.TM

Translated... if we have a way to manually track down and cross refererence GC order#s with our own order#'s and magically paste together the ones that had a referral affiliate ID cookie before being sent off to the GC checkout deadend. Not even Google Analytics can track Google Checkout sales for their millions of Adwords accounts. On the plus side not even the Linkshare BHO's, LiveHelp operators and checkout page embedded Loyality/Reward's cart poachers can get around Google Checkouts blind spots.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I've been slowly working out their links, the checks keep getting smaller.

I think the only reason they have a website is too drive traffic to the approx 900 stores, so all I'm doing as an affiliate is reminding my users to go to the local store.

There are better pet merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't Look Promising
    My stats with PETsMART are 1241 clicks, 1 sale with $4.15 in commissions. That one sale was actually something I was directly involved with. I really haven't spent much time looking at the program as it appears to be a typical Linkshare dead end program.

I feel bad about the money you lost in your PPC campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    My stats with PETsMART are 1241 clicks, 1 sale with $4.15 in commissions. That one sale was actually something I was directly involved with. I really haven't spent much time looking at the program as it appears to be a typical Linkshare dead end program.

I feel bad about the money you lost in your PPC campaign.
    Thanks yintercept. It's all right, I paused after my post and got 1 or 2 sales (<$10) since then (looks like their reporting is days beyond).

Its hard to believe they convert so poorly or maybe they really want people to go to their stores. Another explanation is that they are "parasites friendly" (ie ebates) so most commissions get hijacked.

Anyway, I don't recommend this program as an affiliate. It's too bad since they are the #1 pet store in the US (with PetCo #2).

Cheers,
    Chris

Thumbs down
    Ebates

They have been with ebates I believe since 2004 at least.

They aren't the only pet merchant. Others

Bob Pets Warehouse

PetSmart's Back
    I have recently signed on as Affiliate Program Manager at PetSmart and would like to help with some of the issues discussed here. The affiliate program is my main focus and I am dedicated to seeing our extended network of affiliate partners succeed. Please feel free to contact me at dlanzaro/at/ssg.petsmart.com with any questions or concerns that you may have. I look forward to working with each and every one of you to meet your expectations!

Dana Lanzaro
    Affiliate Program Manager
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 7th, 2007 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Edited @

Hey Bob don't hold back, say what's on your mind.

Expose them all!

Wow Petsmart is a lot worse than I ever imagined.

Now all of a sudden they have a "new to the affiliate world" Dana,
    boy are you jumping into the fire.

Dana what about Ebates?

Tell us what your background is in affiliate marketing?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    @PetsWarehouse guy - Bob is it?

I've had your posts blocked since you showed up here the 2nd time around. I just unblocked you to find out what Dan367 meant by "Don't hold back"

You're using your competiter's thread to troll for affiliates?????? Can you be any more unprofessional???? Lemme see if Andy (Checks Unlimited) is badmouthing Kim (4Checks) on her posts... no. How about vice-a-versa? No.

@ Dan367...

Dana voluntarily comes here... states she wants to help... posts her contact info and ASKS us contacte her... and you belittle her on her first post?????????

If there are problems with their program - which there are - spitting on her hand as she extends it is probably not gonna' help!

@ Dana...
    Welcome to ABW. You have your work cut out for you.

@ PetsW again...
    I'm blocking your posts again. So if you'd like to curse me out, you'll need someone to quote you in another post, as that's the only way I'd ever see it

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    You're using your competiter's thread to troll for affiliates?????? Can you be any more unprofessional???? Lemme see if Andy (Checks Unlimited) is badmouthing Kim (4Checks) on her posts... no.
    Lemme see if Andy knew 4Checks was signed up with Ebates he would keep it to himself, Not.

A few points, I don't see this as a competitors thread, this is a newbie affiliates thread. This person asked for advise.
    I also didn't post all my thoughts here I did so in our thread.

webaurora was asking why there were no sales, don't you think an affiliate especially a new affiliate should be aware that Petsmart enjoys their affiliations with Parasites, therefore that relationship may be the answer to not seeing sales.

Because I monitor this sector carefully I say it like it is.

not going to happen.

Petsmart needs Frontline

Bob Pets Warehouse

Animal Lover
    Petco converts for me (they are with CJ - they moved from LS) - they have good coupons that get sent out to you regularly - I've been with Petsmart and they don't seem to convert. Petco has a nice datafeed. I'm afraid the Petswarehouse's datafeed had too many problems the last I looked at it so I didn't put them up on my site.

cheers
    Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast