Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    "Booth Babes"/Sexism In This Industry - Your Opinion
    Just wanted to get people's opinions on this.

Industry shows and events. Scantily clad women representing different companies. Thoughts.

http and a telephoto
    Doesn't do a thing for me...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Does it bother you? I know some people are ok with it, some aren't. Is it - that's just the way things are or is it something you think should be done away with. It's usually women, don't usually see guys walking around like that. Should that be a part of a business event in which both women and men attend?

I am for hire for future events.

ABW Ambassador
    Serious question. Connie, on Sam's blog about a certain advertisement for an event, you had a problem with it.

post 22
    Last edited by Trust; April 27th, 2007 at 10:07 PM.

Yes, in all seriousness I do have an issue with it. I find it degrading as a woman. I find it shameful that other women would lower themselves like that. Really, isn't your product or company good enough to stand on it's own merits? Why the need for the babes?

Maybe something to do with AdTech? Maybe booth babes there?

Personally, I don't think it represents the market appropriately .... but they must think otherwise. So, to each their own I guess.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

ABW Ambassador
    Let's get it back on topic. It was a serious question. Just wanted to know how everybody felt about it.

http and a telephoto
    I think "booth babes" are used because they are effective. If they weren't worth the money spent, advertisers wouldn't pay. So regardless of our opinions, until people (men) stop appreciating them, they won't go away.

I would prefer knowledgable people that can really discuss the business the booth represents be at any booth. But sometimes even office staff can't do that .... sadly...
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Well for me, I'm not going to sign up to a network just because you have some scantily clad woman there. I sign up to networks to make money. So if they weren't there, I think people would still sign up because they want to make money. They also could be alienating the women in this business.

"So regardless of our opinions, until people (men) stop appreciating them, they won't go away."

I think opinions can change it. If you accept something, it's going to happen. If it's ah, nothing's going to change, it's part of business, it will be.

http and a telephoto
    Trust, you can say what you do... but if men keep signing up when approached by booth babes, and those men convert... the babes will continue to be hired. ROI needs to be there or the practice wouldn't continue. Companies don't measure what they might have lost, they aren't told. They measure what they gain, which they see.
    Deborah Carney

I as a woman have no problem with a woman making her bucks this way...however, I think in a business setting for an industry that should be trying to attract women as well as men, this is not really the best way to represent yourself. As a man, I would be offended that you felt like you had to drag me over by my private parts instead of showing me some serious reasons why I could make money with your program.

That being said..men are men and if there is a georgeous babe there, they will enjoy the scenery, nothing wrong with looking, but I would think serious affiliates aren't going to base a business decision on it though.

For some reason the company/network escapes me, but the one at Affiliate Summit West that had the race car and models in the short shorts just did nothing for me. Actually, it turned me off thinking that was so far off base for that kind of show. Now, Caroyln Tang in the flannel PJ's from her merchant was appropriate.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Thread split to stay on topic.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I like the booth babes it gives me a quick hint of who I don't want to work with. My favorite thing is trying to get them into a topic like the intracasies of Adsense arbitrage.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

There was a little bit of discussion about this in the "Booth Attraction Ideas" thread.

I said: I really don't think "booth babes" draw the right kind of interest. (Billy might disagree.) I'd rather be able to talk to the people I work with (or would work with).

Billy even said: the leggy booth babes were a turn off!

Noth said: I ended up with "model blinds" after a while, much like the AdSense blind site visitors end up with after a while.

skishore2006 said: Booth babes irritate me beyond belief.

helpingmoms said: Booth Babes make me NOT want to include you on my site.

I'm sure they appeal to some, but they're a big turnoff to many. I think you'll attract a better (and more targeted) crowd if you have actual people from your company there.

About the only booths I saw with "booth babes" were CPA networks. I'm sure they need them. They have nothing else to attract people.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Michael wrote:
    About the only booths I saw with "booth babes" were CPA networks. I'm sure they need them. They have nothing else to attract people.
    I love a man who can cut to the chase. Now THAT is a turn-on!

I've never been to one of these functions so I have to rely on my imagination. It sounds cheesy, at minimum. I have attended plenty of other professional and commercial events and cannot recall ever encountering a booth babe. It would definitely turn me off to the company who thought I could be led around by my libido.

You wanna deal? Talk to the brain, not the crotch.

I never seen them in front of Google booths!

I enjoy me some eye candy anytime, but it's hard to keep your eyes at this woman's face, let alone talk business:
    http://www.adrants.com/images/cpx_girl.jpg
    Last edited by Sam Bay; April 28th, 2007 at 09:44 AM.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I am for hire for future events.
    They want to attract new customers - not run them off.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think it depends on the industry. The car and game industry, all you need are booth babes.

In the aff marketing industry, i do not think it will work if the booth babe does not have the brains to go with it.

If you have the brains and beauty, I do not see a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    What are they selling????

What are they selling????
    I tried to find the answer, but not even after I zoom in x-times on the "name tag", I was not able to read the blue text in that tag.

It makes me think that the people in the booth have something that isn't interesting enough to sell on its own so they have to find a way to sucker people in.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i don't care either way, i don't visit cuz they have them and don't not visit either.

the one thing i find a tad embarassing is when i go there, greet a booth person, ask a question and then i realize she's a booth babe and has no clue... it makes me feel like i've made them feel stupid or uninformed - the conversation gets a little weird when she says why she's really there. I assume in-house people of all degrees of beauty can be manning the booth, so i treat them as such. most booth babes wear something different or whatever, but once in a while, they're dressed just like everyone else in the both. my only preference is that it's very clear who is just eye candy and who is part of the real booth team. i have no need to chat with a hired gun booth babe.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I tried to find the answer, but not even after I zoom in x-times on the "name tag", I was not able to read the blue text in that tag.
    CPXinteractive.
    http://www.adrants.com/2007/04/the-g...celebrated.php

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast