First to send or last to send? Who gets commission?
    In our affiliate software I can choose whether the first affiliate sending traffic or the last affiliate sending traffic gets the commission for a sale.

Most affiliate programs seem to be set so that the last affiliate sending traffic gets the commission.

My view is that the first one has had the most important impact. They introduced the buyer to my site. From then on it is really up to our site to convert the visitor to a sale. (We do that with a free report, capturing the contact details and follow up emails.)

If they are redirected to our site through another affiliate later, they might purchase. But only because they know and trust us already.

What is your view? Do you prefer to be paid as the first or last to send traffic?

Alexander

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    My vote is for last person to send legit traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by PassionateManagement
    My view is that the first one has had the most important impact. They introduced the buyer to my site. From then on it is really up to our site to convert the visitor to a sale. (We do that with a free report, capturing the contact details and follow up emails.)
    With your software, I would get your merchants to sign some agreement and also make sure that you and they have a good privacy policy. Capturing email and personal identifable info (PII) is nice but just make sure that you adhere to the legal requirements. Hint, search for "second bite".

Maybe with your software, you want to download the PII and affiliate ID into a different bucket and market/email it from there after the cookie expires, if they convert, they get the credit. Mutually exclusive.

This is a frequently discussed question here. The only fair way to do it is for the last legitimate affiliate click to get affiliate credit. Very few programs operate the other way.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The first affilliate to send the traffic had AN impact. The one that closed the sale had the most important impact.

Granted there is no way to measure the impact that each referring site had on the customer but assume that the customer was not ready to buy after they left the the first site. If they were ready to buy they wouldn't have continued looking.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    last in, always. i won't work with first in. if you think there are issues with cheaters on last in, first in is much worse.

as MC said, it's been discussed here in detail - search and you'll find a lot more, virtually all of it in favor of last in.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    I tried to search for any other threads on it, but was not successful. WOuld you know of a thread?
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    The first affilliate to send the traffic had AN impact. The one that closed the sale had the most important impact.

Granted there is no way to measure the impact that each referring site had on the customer but assume that the customer was not ready to buy after they left the the first site. If they were ready to buy they wouldn't have continued looking.

-rematt
    You know how they say that consumers have to get in touch with a product or marketing for that product 7 times before they will purchase? I guess if an affiliate "prepares" the buyer and builds a mindset for them to trust in the recommended product, then last in is definitely the one to pay, but if they only send the traffic?

What makes you say that the last onehad the most important impact?

You know how they say that consumers have to get in touch with a product or marketing for that product 7 times before they will purchase? I guess if an affiliate "prepares" the buyer and builds a mindset for them to trust in the recommended product, then last in is definitely the one to pay, but if they only send the traffic?

What makes you say that the last onehad the most important impact?
    Because that's where the deal was closed. I'm not saying that the first, second or even third referring site didn't have an impact on the buyers decision. However when the customer left their sites they were still not ready to buy or they wouldn't have continued looking. It's crazy to continue looking for something once you've found it.

It's possible that the last site only reinforced the impression that the other sites left in the buyers mind. But you can't measure the buyers impressions and can only measure their actions which in this case is the sale.

An assist is great, but he who makes the baskets makes the bread (I couldn't resit after the Bulls kicked Heat butt today ).

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

they wouldn't have continued looking...
    ...they wouldn't have continued looking...

That is a great statement. Reminds me that we are not in the business of selling to people, but offering to fulfil their needs.

I am convinced and will change to last gets credit.

Thank you
    Alexander

You're absolutely right. And sometimes the last site visited gives them just the rational they needed to make a decision to buy. It could be an exclusive coupon, a thorough review of the product or that 7th BUY ME.

Sometimes we're good, sometimes we're just lucky.

-rematt

Hopefully good and lucky most of the time.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I tried to search for any other threads on it, but was not successful. WOuld you know of a thread?
    Alexander
    Here's one:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58451

There are others, but often it's a tracking discussion (or adware discussion) that subsequently mentions first-in versus last-in, so they're not super easy to find by title or by searching for keywords and then scanning thread titles.

ABW Ambassador
    Last click gets the sale, it's who closes. If I knew a merchant was first in, I would never put up links.

What is your view? Do you prefer to be paid as the first or last to send traffic?
    I've just posted a poll on the subject here

Geno

"They introduced the buyer to my site."

And the buyer was not a buyer at all. They decided to keep looking. The second affiliate brought them back as a ready buyer. The idea that the first affiliate should get any credit whatsoever is just absurd.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Thanks a lot, that is fantastic. I have also been working through your book. Excellent source for many great ideas.

Alexander

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread