Blog Site Feed Settings
    I have a few blogs and a few questions:

The blogs promote some affiliate items for sale (but such sales are not the only purposes of the blogs -- i.e. some post entries are content for the sake of that content).

How should I set my Site Feed Settings?

Blog Posts Feed:
    short or full?

Blog Comment Feed:
    short or full?

Per-Post Comment Feeds
    short or full?

Please give an example of what to write in the Feed Item Footer

Please give a reason for your answer[s]

Do you think publishing blog post entries in full [RSS feed] would dissuade people from visiting my actual blog since they can read the entire feed or do you think that would encourage people to visit my blog?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 28th, 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I think feeds help to encourage people plus you can submit them to rss feed directories.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

So Glinted, you would set them to full so that the posts can be read in their entirety?

I'd prefer people to visit my actual blog instead of reading my posts via RSS.

What if people click an affiliate link while reading the RSS feed? Does the affiliate still get the commission?
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 29th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd prefer people to visit my actual blog instead of reading my posts via RSS.
    I'd put the posts to "short" to try to get people to click over to see the rest of the story.

Of course, if you write with brevity, they may still be able to see the whole post even with "short" on (check in an RSS reader and see what shows). If the whole thing is still showing then, be wordier, at least enough so that they have to click over to catch the important part of the post.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks, Leader

The only problem I notice is when I set it to short if I use snippets of code from a merchant the feed will say <--snippet code here--> whereas if I set the settings to full, the whole thing is shown.

You have a good point, thanks
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I tried the "full description" during the weekend but I think the "short" entices people to actually click. The blog itself is the experience not just the post entries

There is a loss of "atmosphere" when the entries are published in full in the feed.
    There's some loss of formatting and the feed doesn't totally feel like my site, so I think the short will do.

Does anyone else have opinions on full vs. short publishing of the blog's datafeed?

Does Feedburner have to be published in full? (I haven't tried that yet, my datafeed capability was messed up so I am glad that it has improved)

Again, the only thing that looks "weird" (when formatting is set to short) is
    <--snippet code here-->
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 29th, 2007 at 07:09 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

FULL FEED!

Here are some opinions:

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...l-feed-debate/
    http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...her-test-case/
    http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...scriber-count/
    http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...for-your-blog/

Basically it comes down to what RSS is all about. RSS should be a way to read site contents without going to the site. That's the point. Excerpt feeds are just annoying for those of us who use feed readers as they are meant to be used (an aggregated place for information), and not supplying full feeds can turn your subscribers off. Plus, as shown above, there isn't really too much evidence that partial feed readers click through to the site...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You're welcome!

I think ultimately you have to think about what is best for the user. A full feed allows a user to read your site in their feed reader or on your website, whichever they like. Besides, most blogs should be interested in gaining more subscribers and readers.

Plus, having full feeds does not have to interfere with your monetization efforts. If you get enough subscribers companies like feedburner will pay to run advertisements IN your feed, and if you write about products and include affiliate links in your articles, those affiliate links will be in your feeds as well.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I signed up with Google Reader and now I can't tell if a blog is offering full or partial feed -- it just says "Subscribe to this page" and goes to Google Reader -- I used to like to see if the feed (of another blog) was partial or full -- oh well.

One observation -- all the feeds (fed into a reader) can be overwhelming.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Overwhelming is right! Just don't subscribe to more than you can handle!

As for preview, if you are using Safari or Firefox you can hit the little RSS button up in the browser address bar to preview the feed before you add it to your reader.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    As for preview, if you are using Safari or Firefox you can hit the little RSS button up in the browser address bar to preview the feed before you add it to your reader.
    That's what I used to do

The ability to see the preview stopped when I signed with Google Reader, now when I hit that button I get an "Add to Google" page without the preview

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason

I can't find a way to fix the settings so that Google Reader isn't my automatic only choice
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ah. I believe if you go into your Firefox Preferences, then the Feeds Tab, you can select how the browser deals with feeds. Either choose No Application to make Firefox show the feed, or choose Preview and ask me which Feed Reader to use, I think that one works for this situation.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread