The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Is Performics Selling Our Information?
    I got a brochure from MarthasFlowers yesterday - a Performics merchant - wanting me to buy Mother's Day Flowers

It was addressed to

My name exactly as misspelled in Performics

my website #1/my website#2

(My 2 websites as listed with performics, including the forwardslash as listed with performics)

and my address.

Anyone else???

ABW Ambassador
    Are you an affiliate of marthastewartflowers.com?

yep - but it wasn't directed to me as an affiliate (there was nothing I could post on my website) - it was directed to me as a consumer

ABW Ambassador
    That doesn't suggest that Performics is selling your info. The merchant just used your contact info. that they have access to through your affiliate relationship with them through Performics.

I think that falls into inappropriate use of your contact info. and Performics should let the merchant know that any contact unrelated to your affiliate relationship should be ceased and your address should be removed from their database of non-affiliate related contacts.

Many times I get things like that from my merchants. I think they send it out to affiliates so we can see their stuff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have one merchant now that does it (not at Perf), and others have in the past.

I figure they're just trying to be efficient--they can let me know what sales are on just by putting me on their customer mailing list, so no need to put the same info into an affiliate newsletter.

If they actually have special links, then they send an affiliate newsletter, but some just put a sale on with no backend support. That's when their customer-facing emails come in handy.

The only time I resent it is if their regular mailing list also gets sent a lot of non-sale, non-special emails as well ("Hey customers, don't forget we exist!!" type stuff). I don't need to see their ads if I can't get any promotional ideas from them.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Anyone else???
    Yup, I received the same e-mail and yes, I am one of their affiliates.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    I wanted to clarify that my responses were based on my reading of Billy Kay's post that he was referring to a brochure that he received by snail mail. I just re-read his post and it still seems to be referring to snail mail. The word "brochure" doesn't sound like email. "Address" rather than "email address" also doesn't sound like email.

Now after reading some of the responses here, it sounds like he may have been referring to an email. Could you clarify, Billy Kay?

If, in fact, you are referring to email rather than snail mail, I retract my earlier comments.

Affiliates are potential customers as well, so some smart/guerilla companies expand their brochure/catalog mailing lists by adding them. I don't habe any problem with it, if it bothers you just don't buy anything and your name will be dropped in a few cycles.

Yes Snowman... it arrived via the us postal service

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Many times I get things like that from my merchants. I think they send it out to affiliates so we can see their stuff.
    I agree. I also get consumer emails in my affiliate email account from some of the merchants I am partnered with. I did not sign up for those emails via their web site, so I think they are sending them to keep me informed regarding their current offereings.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it would be more beneficial to limit comments to regular mail, not email, since that is what the original post is about. The merchant is inappropriately using information they have access to by virtue of the person's affiliate relationship.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Yes Snowman... it arrived via the us postal service
    OH!

I haven't gotten any catalogs/brochures/etc. from my merchants unless I actually buy something from them.

It doesn't sound smart to spend money mailing ads to affs...but I suppose it's as targeted as any snail-mail list that isn't a list of previous buyers. I don't think it'd bother me from a privacy perspective, although it'd get me wondering about the effectiveness of such a campaign.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread