ABW Ambassador
    I am looking at moving much of my CJ business over to private programs, but was wondering this.

How do you go about finding private programs since people tend to keep good programs secret (and rightly so). Do you go to google and search for "keywords + affiliate", or do you go to a place like associateprograms.com? Maybe both?

How do you check they are any good? Or do you just have to try them out for a while and monitor stats?

Any help appreciated here. I am desperate to see more diversification in my business. Last month CJ made up 54% of my affiliate income. This month they are only 26%. Some of this is due to new merchants elsewhere, but a lot of it is reduction in sales at CJ. I have had enough.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Try adding a search box from (edited out) with customizable search results and many linking options. Increase value while adding site stickiness with custom co-branding options.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Trust; November 14th, 2006 at 07:42 AM. Reason: many

ABW Ambassador
    Had a look at the site and even signed up. But now faced with a screen to deposit funds. i thought this thing was putting a search box on our site to drive traffic to other sites and earn money for the traffic we send.

Have I misunderstood?

Andy Williams

"reduction in sales at CJ. I have had enough."

Me too!!

ABW Ambassador
    "reduction in sales at CJ. I have had enough."

Time to diversify?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I found one of the best ways to find independent merchants is to use Yahoo or Google and type in the name of the product I want to sell and the word "affiliate" in the search box. Be patient and work at it, it may be six pages down before you find one. But it does work. I added six new merchants this year by doing that and they now, combined, surpass my CJ commissions.

I've also gone directly to companies I would like to promote that don't have affiliate programs. I've only had minimal luck getting any to join an Affiliate program, but two did come up with alternative ways for us to work together. In any case, it added more pages to my sites and increased traffic. A win/win solution for both of us.

PerfectG - I sent you a pm.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Perfectg ..is that search box site still asking for you to pay a deposit to send their advertisers listings. Maybe this as a parasite giving birth and your next move is to have to use Ad-Aware to detect some trash shopping bar/spyware? You sure don't want any indy merchants who are on any "incent" parasite or Superaffiliate merchant list.

Safe bet for me is not to add any independents til after the meeting on the 7th. If that goes sour I weed out the infected merchants and push those lame affiliate directory folks to get off their lazy butts and purge the crap & post some good ones.

Only recommendation I can give you on a 1 sale per 20 click merchant who pays monthly on time is at www.suspenders.com/affiliate.htm None of my indy's or private networks like Quinstreet in 2 years have shown me any conversion ratios to showcase them.

WebMaster Mike

If you can use a private fishing company or two, let me know. It's the off season right now, but coming up on peak in just a few.

"Where a conversion is no accident, it's a miracle."

Jim
    JAREC & Associates
    U.S. Sportfishing News

Affiliate Manager
    There are lots of listing sites- but many are outdated or incomplete.

I would start right here at ABW- look at the Managers who post and are not members of third parties- Pharmical is a new one. The Interactive Affilaite Network (travel programs) is mine- I would recommend it highly ;-)

Next, I find programs by picking products I would want to sell- looking for the top merchants and looking at the navigation struction for an "affiliate" link. There are quite a few out there who run their own programs- and those are my favorite from an affiliate side.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Jessica,

Thanks for the mention!

Our program is growing and improving every day. That's one good thing about independents - we sometimes work a bit harder to keep affiliates happy and earning.

I'd also suggest looking for those that sell the products you want to promote. There should be several, if not hundreds. Who has the best program? Let them compete for you.

Something else you might try is to check the PPC engines for the more competitive terms related to the products you want to promote. Many of the bids will be from affiliates promoting other programs. If they're willing to kick down cash for clicks, they must be seeing some return from those programs, right...?

If it's prescription drugs you're looking to sell, talk to me. For travel related, Jessica has some great programs. I'm sure there are many others.

Good luck! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Affiliate Manager - Pharmical.com
    affiliates@pharmical.com

ABW Ambassador
    I have to agree about bailing on CJ. Back when we started this "affiliate marketing" was largely unknown, so we had to depend on networks like CJ, LS, etc. But now AM is well know and widely distributed, so why do we need CJ anymore?

Okay, on the smaller programs where we don't make that much, just leave them at CJ but for our biggest earners, (which account for about 70% of our dollar volume) we are going independant.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Although there are a few good reasons for using networks, I think that the networks have been a little too willing to barter our destinies away to secure their income. Until I see overwhelming changes to their programs, I certainly will promote independants, and generally I search like the posts above, include the category you want and the term 'affiliate' in the search.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

PerfectG, you have a PM

-------
    Kan Johar
    Expiredtraffic.com - The biggest and baddest affiliate program on the net. Period.
    http://www.expiredtraffic.com

Correct. Go to Affiliate HTML under Affiliate Menu in your account manager to get your search box linking codes. If you have any help contact me on ICQ (edited out)

Quote Originally Posted by perfectG
    Had a look at the site and even signed up. But now faced with a screen to deposit funds. i thought this thing was putting a search box on our site to drive traffic to other sites and earn money for the traffic we send.

Have I misunderstood?

Andy Williams

Last edited by Trust; November 14th, 2006 at 07:42 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Not bad, only 4 years for a response

perfectg hasn't posted in 2 years, don't think he still reads here.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm always on the lookout for indy's and the only problem I have is keeping track with them all so I do prefer to use a network in that sense. I can tell you ways to find them but the best thing is to experiment and try out different programs, this would be very easy if you don't use many merchants but it can be quite a challenge when you use thousands of merchants.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    eclickzservices,
    thanks for participating but I think joining / replying to a thread after 4 years does not bring much value especially when replying to a question.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...51&postcount=4

Say No to spam!

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, toolbars and such, not good.

The orig post asked how to find private programs
    I was curious why they said that independant programs are "rightly so" kept "secret"

This is an eight year old thread. Moderator Note: Thread closed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

22. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread