Adcenter WTF?
    I got an email with new TOS:
    - Microsoft may use matching criteria other than keyword searches
    to display your advertisements.
    - Microsoft may display your advertisements on its network of
    advertising channels operated by the Microsoft network of
    participating websites and other distribution outlets.
    So now my ads will show based on (something??) besides the keywords I select? What?

So now my ads will show somewhere else besides MSN? Where?

I don't do much ppc adv. in general, now looks like I'll be doing even less.

If you do not consent to these revised Terms and Conditions, you may
    cancel your adCenter...

Wow ... talk about being vague!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    I was wondering what this meant as well when I read the email. A few weeks ago I was one of the advertisers that MSN automatically placed into the beta program and was using a slightly different adCenter interface and the opportunity to use their new content ads. Actually it was rather annoying as they turned ON content matching in every single one of the beta advertisers' ad groups by default, and I had to contact support to take me out of all of them so I wouldn't have to turn it off, one by painstaking one, in all my hundred or so ad groups. I was a "Content Ad Pilot participant" although as a result of having them turn off content in all my ad groups, I never actually had them showing in the new content network. Well, maybe for one day.

Anyway, MSN sent an email on April 25 saying that the system would be down for upgrades over this past weekend and also stating in the short FAQ built into this email:

Why is Microsoft adCenter upgrading?
    Over the past few months only U.S. Content Ads pilot participants have had access the adCenter beta site at https://beta.adcenter.microsoft.com. Now, it is time to share these new and improved features with all of our advertisers. Starting April 26, 2007, the improvements from the beta site will move to https://adcenter.microsoft.com, where you'll experience new upgrades and as well as manage your Content Ads campaigns. The adCenter beta site will redirect you to the main adCenter site.
    I suspect that because content advertising (as opposed to search advertising) is now available to all advertisers with this upgrade, that's why you see these changes in terms. Though I haven't confirmed that yet. This would explain "matching criteria other than keyword searches" and "Microsoft may display your advertisements on its network of advertising channels [...]"

If this isn't what the terms changes are for, I'm completely mystified. The email was extremely vague and should have explained why they were changing the terms.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    I suspect that because content advertising (as opposed to search advertising) is now available to all advertisers with this upgrade, that's why you see these changes in terms. Though I haven't confirmed that yet.
    Some of the accounts I manage are not yet switched, but I hear it's coming soon. Maybe terms first, then shift everyone.

Lightbulb Info on the new Terms & Conditions
    Good news! I spoke to an adCenter support rep, and it turns out that the changes in terms are just as I'd thought: the new terms only affect ad groups which have Content Ads turned on, to account for the fact that Content Ads show in other places besides the live.com/msn.com search engine sponsored results. Search-only ads are not affected and should display as they have in the past.

It should be noted that advertisers who have been converted to the new adCenter system (should be almost everyone by now), which now has both Search Ads and Content Ads, have the Content Ads option in all their existing campaigns and ad groups automatically turned on. If you don't want your ads showing in their new content network, you'll have to do either one of two things:

(1) Go through each and every ad group in every campaign you want to be opted out of Content, and uncheck the "Content" checkbox (which is within the "Ad Group Settings" tab, then click on the second "Advanced options" blue link where you'll see the two "Select ad distribution" checkboxes). Or,

(2) Contact adCenter support and have them opt you out of Content for all of your ad groups, saving you lots of time.

Unfortunately, it's set to opt in to Content by default. Also there's adgroup-level control but no campaign-level control for ad distribution (i.e. Search and Content checkboxes). I asked the support rep to pass on feedback to the developers to please have a campaign-level option available.

So bear in mind: every time you create a new ad group, whether it's in a new campaign or an existing campaign, remember to turn off the Content checkbox if you don't want your ads showing on the content network. I have no idea how well the content network converts, since even though I was in the Content Ads pilot program I turned them off immediately. I'm not a fan of content ads in general because they have a lower conversion rate than search ads in my experience, but your mileage may vary. If you allow your ads to be shown in Content, keep a close watch to see how well they're converting.

I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who decides to run content ads with MSN and can keep track of their conversion rate separately from search. There seems to be no easy way that I can figure out to lower your content bids in one quick action within a campaign or ad group, like you can do on Google AdWords. The adCenter bids can be changed using the Edit Bids button in the Keywords Performance tab as you would normally change individual bids. But it would be extremely tedious changing the keywords having a match type of "Content" one by one, even if you sort them so that all Content keywords are listed together. Hopefully Microsoft will add functionality to change them more easily.

As I said I'm not a fan of content ads so I won't be using them unless/until they prove to be relatively well-converting for affiliates.

Donuts,

That's interesting, as the support rep told me that all advertisers are now using the new system. The email about the recent upgrades pretty much implied the same.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Nope, I have at least one account that is missing the content distribution tab that you described above as...

"(1) Go through each and every ad group in every campaign you want to be opted out of Content, and uncheck the "Content" checkbox (which is within the "Ad Group Settings" tab, then click on the second "Advanced options" blue link where you'll see the two "Select ad distribution" checkboxes)."

I have others with it.

In the one without it, I can neither get in or out of the content network. There are the previous advanced options, not under a tab, but in each section - the ones for start and end date.

And another one I have has the time of days settings screwed up from the transition, but I'm fixing it now.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread