Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    CJ Publisher Advisory Board/CJ Suggestions Thread
    Finalised about a week ago, see Michael and Connie on the list and some others:

http://www.vinnylingham.com/2007/04/...finalised.html

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    (Wow, that's tiny type on that page!! *Hits "Increase" on FF text size a couple of times* )

I hope it works better than LS's panel at preventing network idiocies...but I'm not going to bet on it. Rather, I'd bet that they either get ignored, or any supposed "implementation" of suggestions ends up so pretzelized that it'll be worse!

(CJ and LS sometimes seem to compete with each other for a corporate Darwin Award. Actually having a panel that made good suggestions--and then following them--would take them out of that competition...)

and some others:
    Yeah. Some names/companies I recognize, others I don't.

The fact that Paul Nichols and the Upromise person are on the list along with "regular" affiliates, tells me that at least some of the panel's suggestions will probably oppose each other...

There are bios for the PAB members on CJ, too:

http://www.cj.com/publishers/advisory_board.html

Both CJ and LinkShare are getting more active on soliciting feedback and implementing suggestions from their advisory boards. (I've heard good things about the Performics advisory board, too, but I'm not on that one so I can't speak from personal experience.) Both started out with more of a "here's what we're going to do" (or often "here's what we did") mindset, but are rapidly changing. Meetings and calls are more frequent. They're seeking our input on what we want to see. They've both cancelled projects based on our feedback. They're asking for our feedback on specifics of how to implement various projects. They don't listen to everything and things don't always go as we'd like, but they're improving.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Half(?) on the list have used or are using questionable marketing tactics ... but hey, that's the new CJ for ya. The premise is good, execution ... ehhh.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Half(?) on the list have used or are using questionable marketing tactics ... but hey, that's the new CJ for ya. The premise is good, execution ... ehhh.
    I totally agree with you H. And I wonder what happens when you get the good folks (Coley, Berg, Jangro and others) in meetings with the not-so-good folks... and questions about ethics come up... good folks won't rollover and not-so-goods aren't going to stop unless forced... so on ethics issues, i see no possibility for progress here. Especially since CJ has condoned it for so long.

However...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    They don't listen to everything and things don't always go as we'd like, but they're improving.
    Coley's right here too, of course. And if I could choose to have the not-so-goods there solo -or- for there to be some good folks there too, I'd surely crowd the room with folks like Coley, Berg and Jangro.

Congrats to those on the list, all of you.

Also, thank you for your service - time is very valuable to all of us - thanks for giving some of yours to benefit the rest of us.

Internet Cowboy
    Please convince them to make a better way to sign up for datafeeds. It often takes a week to add a datafeed to an existing push.
    In the past, an affiliate could call their Tech. Svcs department and get someone on the phone who could add it while you were on the phone and it was done and done right. It took one 45 second phone call and it was done.
    Now their AAQ system is used for that and it is just too slow. Even if you have an account rep, all they do is fill out the AAQ request for you. I have had several times when I requested a feed to be added and the others in that push were removed at the same time.
    Also, there should also be a place where you can preview a feed.
    Case in Point: I just got done having the BassPro feed added to my mix for use on my fishing site. It took the better part of a week and when I got it, I realized it is horribly mis-categorized and all links resolve to the home page. I could have saved us both some time there if I had known what a mess the feed is.

A GUI where the affiliate can preview the feed and add it themselves would not be hard. Limit access to it to established affiliates if you want or even charge a small amount of money for each feed addition to keep rookies from adding every imaginable feed only to do nothing with them.

Affiliates work crazy hours, CJ works 9-5. There is no reason we should not be able to add feeds at 3 am.

Thank you all for your time on this board.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I couldn't agree more. I would add that anyone representing themself as a publisher be required to disclose the name of their primary website(s) that are used for affiliate marketing.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    So happy to see fellow ABWers on the panel. WTG guys and gals!
    And to echo Scott: thanks for your time and efforts on our behalf!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    And I wonder what happens when you get the good folks (Coley, Berg, Jangro and others) in meetings with the not-so-good folks...
    From what I have seen, there isn't any throwing of chairs and table like the parliment in taiwan. At the one event, some affiliates gave the uPromise reps a dirty stare but most were polite.

ABW Ambassador
    Should we have a CJ Fix It Thread? So you guys can put forth some ideas?

I wouldn't recommend it at this time. I'm trying to encourage CJ to actively participate here, and it might be a good idea when/if that happens, but for now it would just be an exercise in futility. I don't think any of us on the PAB have any shortage of ideas and things that need improved.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    "I don't think any of us on the PAB have any shortage of ideas and things that need improved."

Well if they're actively listening to you, they might read some input. Or you guys can read it and offer it to them. I'm sure you have great ideas but others might have some you might not have thought of. Plus I know they lurk sometimes. Might start one later.

Probably should have that type of thread for every network and affiliates and merchants can drop ideas as they come along and the networks can decide if they want to use anything.

At the one event, some affiliates gave the uPromise reps a dirty stare
    Got pics or vids? That would be precious LOL!
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Looks like they picked a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. (Don't ask, we all know who's who.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Looks like they picked a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. (Don't ask, we all know who's who.)
    Sorry for the n00b question, but I don't know who's who. Can someone enlighten me in a PM? I'd appreciate it...

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Sorry for the n00b question, but I don't know who's who. Can someone enlighten me in a PM? I'd appreciate it...
    If you see the company on that list and if you see them on this page
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

If you see a match, those companies have questable practices.

Thanks, Eric.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    If you see the company on that list and if you see them on this page
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

If you see a match, those companies have questable practices.
    That doesn't tell the whole story. I know of at least one person on the PAB who continues to engage in questionable affiliate marketing tactics who is not affiliated with anyone on the linked ABW page.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Who is there from CJ?? Any decision makers?? How often do you meet, who sets the agenda? Is this a face to face meeting??

I think it is a terrific idea whenever a network gives its customers (affiliates and merchants) the opportunity to voice concerns and ask for improvement. It would be interesting to see an advertisers advisory board as well!!

Definitely decision makers there. There wouldn't be much point if there weren't. Face to face meetings at least a couple times a year, plus quite a bit of one on one email and phone conversations between meetings. CJ sets the agenda.

I don't know if CJ has an advertiser advisory board, but LinkShare does have a Merchant Advisory Board. One suggestion I've had for LinkShare is to include one affiliate in the merchant meetings and one merchant in the affiliate meetings, to provide prospective from the other side of the fence.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Well Michael, I am content with you being on this board and fighting the good fight!!

Too many bad players in that mix. With parasites and other problem sites like that in there, I don't see any good ever coming from this. Some of our biggest problems as affiliate marketers are their PAB Advisory Board members.

Not that all are bad, but I sincerely hope this advisory board fails quickly, or every CJ affiliate marketer is going to be encouraged to force toobar installations and partner with the unsavory folks.

And I thought thats what the cj performer was for too.. for them to get input on stuff. This just seems like a bad thing to me.

For what it's worth, I don't recall a single project discussed in the any of the CJ (or LinkShare) advisory board meetingss regarding parasites. The issues being presented to and brought up by the advisory board members have all been general issues that would affect all affiliates. (Actually some are things that would only affect large affiliates, like limited access for different logins, etc.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

... limited access for different logins...
    I've been asking them for that for a long time...

For what it's worth, I don't recall a single project discussed in the any of the CJ (or LinkShare) advisory board meetingss regarding parasites. The issues being presented to and brought up by the advisory board members have all been general issues that would affect all affiliates.
    Now would be a good time.

I think it is something that affects all affiliates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast