Target - Build your Own Links
    I hesitate to mention this but you can get to the BYOL and Upload Links option for Target by going to "Available Links" then at the bottom of the page you have access.

The reason I am mentioning this instead of just using it, is I am afraid the resulting product links will not be tracked therefor a waste of time.

Any news of when the BYOL will be "officially" available?

Tami

Your suspicions are correct:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...599#post691599

If you build your own, I would recommend grabbing an existing link, following the redirects to see the gateway page and parameters, then carefully building your own following that pattern.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    There is a problem with Target's Orange Links, they also look similar to their text links and are causing problems with my orange link system... the title looks like this (replaced any numbers with "000":

"000|Performics|_FS_Furn _||Text Link||000|000|"

that's a strange looking promotion title. I hope Larry etc can check it out!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    There is a problem with Target's Orange Links, they also look similar to their text links and are causing problems with my orange link system... the title looks like this (replaced any numbers with "000":

"000|Performics|_FS_Furn _||Text Link||000|000|"

that's a strange looking promotion title. I hope Larry etc can check it out!

Those are, in fact, Target's link names. They have them like that to match up reporting with their internal analytics package. Our tech team is working with them to find out if we can modify the naming conventions so they are usable. But I imagine the pipes in the names are what are causing your problem.

ABW Ambassador
    Those links look horrible in the browser when clicked on. They're telling the whole story to customers.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by l_adams
    Those are, in fact, Target's link names. They have them like that to match up reporting with their internal analytics package. Our tech team is working with them to find out if we can modify the naming conventions so they are usable. But I imagine the pipes in the names are what are causing your problem.
    They never used to have link names like this, these are not very good names when they are including numbers and pipes, I would call it a mistake.

These are still coming through in the orange links and they should be text titles like all other merchants have for this field (it is not a numeric or other field but it is the most important field of the datafeed), how are the developers getting on with fixing this?

The pipes are not causing a problem specifically but all of it is as it means I have to edit each link individually so it looks correct and this defeats the very purpose of orange links.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    Links that have stuff in the URL like

|Performics|Target| Affiliate | Product|

are simply telling the customer that "No, I'm not sending you to this merchant's site because it's a genuine, honest recommendation to a site that I think will provide you with the product you want at a good price"; it's instead telling the customer that you're referring them to that merchant because you're an affiliate who will get paid some MONEY for referring them to the merchant.

Not that we have to be ashamed of being affiliates, but it isn't too cool to throw it in the face of customers that the link isn't a genuine recommendation, but an ingenuous referral that's nothing more than a move to get their money.

I can't see where that's good for us, or for Target's branding image. And yes, I am ashamed to put those links up, they just might make me look like a money-grubbing phony to my site's visitors.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread