Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry Dell Customer Service - Horrbile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dam i hate dell. I went to their site to order a simple power cord for my laptop, First I talked with a repr online, so far so good, the rep told me what i needed and the part number and i had to call dell sales to order, Ok no problem

This is where it starts

First i had to call the sales number 11 times to get through to a HUMAN, they use that bullshit automated answering service which is not worth a fuk. -Everytime they transferred me to sale, i got a busy signal and guess what I had to call the number again

Ok I finally got "cheokisoki" on the phone that speaks no english. i stated want to order part number "F2951". Then she says i need to check your ccount before we can proceed, I said I just need to order this part here is my credit card number, After 2 min of arguing I finaly gave here my email address my phone number, my address, my dogs last name , etc

Ok can we order the part now? No. What computer system do you have. i said thats not relevant just send me the part. Okkkkk its a inspiron 1150. She says can you hold 3 min we need to check your account. Dammit just order me the part.

Ok do you want the ac adapter, No i just want part number "f2951" So you dont want power apapter. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the part number i gave is for the freaking power cord that plugins a wall.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    Finally taking my credit card information, cant understand her because she is sitting in a hut in malyasia, this last other 10 min.

Ok mr bishop i need to ask you a couple of questions? HUH okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk go ahead....

WHo will be using the part? ( my computer who the fuk else)

Will you be using this part in United States Of America?

What part of the United States of America will you be using this part?

Will this part be used for Business or Home?

Is the billing address the same as the address you will be using this part? (Well dam ask me this first and you answer all your damm question)

It sounded to me like i was ordering (uranium)

Finally I am done 1 hour 13 mintues to order a simple 11 dollar power cord........................................................................................................................................

Sorry for the ranting but anyonle else have this problem?

HP's technical support makes Dell look good. I'm still waiting for a replacement hard drive after mine crashed last month.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Yes, Dell puts everyone through those usual hoops when making any kind of phone order, no matter how small or cheap the part. To be fair, it's generally good practice for the computer merchant's rep to take an extra minute or so to find out exactly what type of system the part is for, to avoid selling the wrong part and having to deal with a product return and a probably angry or frustrated customer. Obviously they do the same information checking when you order a piece like a laptop or printer that's much more expensive, so why shouldn't they do the same for everything a customer orders?

Keep in mind that Dell only sells products directly and doesn't have a store that customers can go into to return products. It's in their best interest to avoid mistakes since they have to ship everything, and have every return shipped back to them.

I've had mostly good experiences talking to Dell sales reps on the phone, but I have had a few clueless individuals and wished I'd ended up with someone else on the phone. I haven't had a single one with poor English, though, in my many calls to Dell. In fact one thing they've all been good at in my experience has been their communication skills and command of English. You got unlucky, I think.

In the case of ordering a small part like this, it might be faster to skip the phone process and just order it online.

In a very different Dell experience I had today, I chatted online with a support tech (who answered immediately) about a hardware problem I'm having with a *used* pc I bought recently that is still (barely) under warranty.

No problem; they're sending out a tech to swap the mother board and the hard drive. Just like that.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

when Dell Support called me an Ass by accident

I emaled Michael Dell dude replied that same day.

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Will you be using this part in United States Of America?
    Will this part be used for Business or Home?
    Is the billing address the same as the address you will be using this part?
    These are to make sure they send you the right part. Power cords are different in different parts of the world and sometimes different in home or business use.

But taking that long is poor customer service. Couldn't you just look it up and order it directly? I did when I added on some extras for the laptop in my truck. I got extra cords, etc.

Well I wish I could just order it online, but the product I ordered is not on the website. I have no idea why, but thats what the rep told me (online rep)

Maybe i did get a bad one, however in 2001 when i talked with support, i also got someone with no english

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    why not buy it off eBay?
    Dell is a hit or miss thing. Something you get good service, sometimes, you get a rep that knows nothing and at times, you get nobody (and just wait and wait).

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    What part of the United States of America will you be using this part?
    Is there another part that we are not aware of? I think everybody in US is running the same voltage too.
    (unless that are parts of US that I am not aware of

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    In a very different Dell experience I had today, I chatted online with a support tech (who answered immediately) about a hardware problem I'm having with a *used* pc I bought recently that is still (barely) under warranty.

No problem; they're sending out a tech to swap the mother board and the hard drive. Just like that.
    I was going to start backing up the old hard drive sometime today, so that when the tech would call in a few days I'd be ready...when the phone rang at 10 a.m. It was the local Dell contractor tech, asking if it would be convenient for him to come in about 15 minutes.

He came, swapped out the mother board, tested the hard drive (which seems to be okay), and was done.

The whole thing, from initial online tech support chat to mother board replacement, took less than 24 hours. Wow!

My wife's Dell desktop has had the DVD-RW drive go out twice (both times under warranty). I wasn't that impressed with the overseas troubleshooting (wasted over an hour both times, just confirming what I already knew), but the local repair tech (same guy both times) did a very good job. He was in and out in 5 minutes. The newer computers are incredibly easy to swap parts out on. You don't even need a screwdriver.

Similarly, I'm still incredibly unimpressed (and that's a major understatement) with HP's overseas support, but their domestic support is impressive. I finally escalated my problem to their corporate headquarters, writing a scathing letter about the problems I've had with my last three HP purchases (two laptops and a multifunction printer). I was assigned two domestic case managers (one for the laptops and one for the printer). I'm still waiting for a call back on the laptop, but the printer issues is totally resolved to my satisfaction. I didn't expect them to do anything with it, because it's over 3 years out of warranty. In light of the other problems I had, plus the fact that my problems happened during the warranty period as well, they were very accommodating and they went far beyond what I expected.

It's really a shame that the overseas technical support at both companies isn't better.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's really a shame that the overseas technical support at both companies isn't better.
    It's a shame they they even exist. I don't have anything against anyone overseas, I just don't like that it has become a reality in American business. (That's a whole different debate, don't want to derail the thread)

I guess Dell is like any other company who has to support millions of users. Some will have great experiences with them, some will not. Usually someone in the not category will usually post before someone in the great catgory will. I've had good luck with them.

Affiliate Manager
    http://www.impactcomputers.com/f2951.html

Takes only as long to order as it takes you to type in your info.. hehe. I love Google. Sorry about your probs though.
    Has a friend who bought a HP Laptop when he shipped out to Iraq, a week later it wouldnt start so he called the number and was told he would have to ship it in so he asked the guy if he could just run over a couple sand dunes and turn it in himself.
    Apparently the guy on the phone was originally from Argentina and exploded at him in spanish which left my friend scratching his head trying to figure out what this guy was saying in Arabic.

just hope i get the right psrt, because they spea k no inglish

Angry
    Did i say horrbile?

Mac mac mac mac mac mac mac

Get a mac!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Well, HP shipped my replacement hard drive today. To the wrong address. Sigh.

They're shipping out another one. Hope this one isn't backordered for 2 weeks, too. I was hoping they could just reroute the package (which would mean I would get it tomorrow), but I gave up after 3 hours and numerous phone calls.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Argh. I just double-checked the second replacement order, and it's the wrong hard drive. Time to get on the phone again. At least this one hadn't shipped yet. (Sad to think of that as a positive...) This is beyond ridiculous.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    HP is encouraging you to buy another brand for your next notebook and PC.

On a diff Q: How hard is it to take an replacement order with the right address and parts?

After 9 hours of trying to reach my case manager, I finally got a call back from someone at HP who could help. She's canceling the latest erroneous order and has given me the authority to go buy a hard drive locally and get reimbursed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Does Sun or Oracle or whoever it was a few years ago still talk about moving all computing to the net?

From an old VAX/VMS guy, I still think it was a mistake to go with PCs. It makes each of us responsible for maintaining hardware and software when that's not usually our expertise (and good support is clearly a hit-or-miss, as this thread indicates). It's not hard to imagine that in a few years, we really will use terminals to access the net to run our apps.

Ok Round Ten

I get an email saying DHL can not find my address from dell.com

So i call and wait 20 mintues on hold, where I get another broken english worker.

They refered to my name as MR BEASHUP (Its Bishop)

On my address they put 1031 LN

My address is 1031 Lynn Drive as I clearly told the idiot the first time. Not once but three times.

My phone number they have was not even close.

They state " OK Mr Beashup please allow 24-48 hours for us to fix the problem, and we will get back to you"

I bet you anything DHL will shipp it back and Dell will have to send another one, lets wait and see......................................................................................................................................................

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You can call DHL yourself and get that fixed, if you have your actual shipment tracking number (actually called the "airbill number" on parts of their site and phone system--whether it went by air or not) and not just the order number.

The number for shippees isn't that grand IIRC, but they have a general customer service number as well. That one has real humans, and I think it's open all night (can't guarantee that, but I didn't need any alarms in order to reach them).

They even speak English!

Not as satisfying as making Dell fix it, but judging by your experiences, you calling DHL has a heckuva lot better chance of actually working.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader is right. You as the recipient should be able to correct an erroneous address as long as the city is correct. If it's in another city (like my almost identical issue with HP's overseas technical support), only the shipper can re-route it.

On a side note, I'm almost finished getting my new laptop back to 100%. I bought a new hard drive locally. The biggest stumbling block I had was cloning the old hard drive to the new one. HP had partitioned the original drive with 20GB wasted in two smaller partitions and I wanted the new one with a single partition. Trying to clone it with HDClone, it created the big partition, but the filesystem on it was the old size. From what I read, Norton Ghost was the only drive cloning software that would copy and extend a partition. So I bought a copy from Symantec to download. But instead of giving me a download link, it said it was waiting to generate the serial number. After several hours in online support and the phone with Symantec's technical support in India (ARGH!) they told me that it would take 24-48 hours before I could get a download link. I could cancel the order and place it again. Huh? How would that help? I could download the trial edition (which I had already done) and it would let me do everything that the full edition did (wrong, the copy feature is disabled). I started researching alternatives and discovered that Partition Saver (freeware) might work. I tried it and it did. I spent another half hour on the phone canceling my unfulfilled order for Norton Ghost.

So now I'm in the final stretch. I just need to copy the few things that have changed in the past month and do a whole lot of catching up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I have had no problems with Dell's service.

Sorry to hear that.

I have always had good luck with Dell, and even better luck with IBM.

IBM is the King.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast