First two sales this morning :(
    This is my first post on the forums (hi everyone). I joined shareasale a few weeks ago and was thrilled to have two sales this morning. One was a decent sale, too. However, both sales were reversed this afternoon due to 'duplicate orders'. I contacted the affiliate manager and she told me that they give the commission to the last affiliate link clicked (which I knew). Unfortunately, that link wasn't mine.

How disappointing.....Sorry my first post in the forum had to be such a downer. Hopefully, my future posts will be more encouraging.
    Janet

Welcome.

Sorry to hear your first sales went like that. Don't get discouraged, it will get better.

Welcome.

At least you are getting traffic and making sales, and you know this merchant is making sales, and that's a great start! Hopefully, your next sales will stick.

ABW Ambassador
    Hang in there Janet!

Not a good start but it will get better. Just keep working those pages & some good sales will show up. Welcome and Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for making me feel better. I will admit that as discouraged as I was this morning, part of me feels good knowing that this IS possible. The next sale will stick!

Quote Originally Posted by janet21
    I contacted the affiliate manager and she told me that they give the commission to the last affiliate link clicked (which I knew). Unfortunately, that link wasn't mine.
    Are they running their program on more than one network, or offering a private program? If exclusive to Shareasale, this shouldn't happen.

Keep your chin up. It can and should get better.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager
    I say bravo on you for sending the traffic over there! GREAT start and I'm sure its the beginning of some good selling for that merchant for you. Hang in there

Just in case you haven't already, run a search on ABW for the merchants name and make sure similar reversals have not been previously reported. I was thinking...two reversals in a row is a bit strange.

Now that I think about it, when first sale reversals have happened to me in the past...once or twice...I never really hit it off with the program.

But again...if you are getting traffic and conversions you are doing something right!
    Last edited by mr_jones; May 2nd, 2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: clarified

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Are they running their program on more than one network, or offering a private program? If exclusive to Shareasale, this shouldn't happen.
    Yepper, I concur - look for SAS Exclusive merchants. If they're on autodeposit and managed by somebody active at ABW, your chances for success go way, way up. You might also look at PowerRank within SAS as well, to find the movers and shakers there.

"Run a search on ABW", what exactly does that mean?

Anyway, I believe this merchant runs other affiliate programs. the merchant is www.birthdayinabox.com. This merchant just signed up with SAS this past March. SAS doesn't have any other party supply merchants that sell the products I am looking for. However, I am also signed up with 2 party supply merchants over at cj which I don't use as much. If I see this happening more, I may just switch over to one of those merchants instead. I found two reversals odd myself. One, maybe. But, two. Strange.

I am totally new to affiliate marketing and I certainly have lots to learn. Thanks everyone.

"Run a search on ABW", what exactly does that mean?
    It means to use the search function on the menu bar on top of this page (ABW = Abestweb). Enter several variations of the merchants name in the search box and research questions or comments that may have been previously posted about the merchant, or by the merchant.

It may give you a sense of merchant history, past problems, or issues like commission reversals.

Follow up on reversals. I emailed the affiliate manager and asked them approximately how often these reversals happen. She told me that "about 1 out of every 5 sales are duplicates sent from 2 affiliates." That seems high to me. Is it? I really need to consider switching over to another party supply merchant, don't you think? The only other party supply merchant on SAS that sells the products I am looking for only has a 1 day cookie! So, I'd rather not go with them. The other two are affiliated with cj. Not sure what to do here, I could use some advice. What would you guys do in my situation?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    janet21,

Contact the other merchant if you wish, and explain your situation. Merchants are able to set "Custom Cookie Durations" for individual affiliates and they may be willing do so...

(Thanks to a suggestion from Geno a while back. )
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Internet Cowboy
    BirthdayInABox has an inhouse program where they give coupon codes to affiliates. If a sale from a non-coupon affiliate comes in and it has a code in it, I think the coupon affiliate gets the sale.

I traded an email with them about it and it seemed pretty confusing to me.

I would suggest a different merchant. Look at PrintableGamesAtoZ. If they will work, that program is managed in-house at Shareasale and you will get credit for your sales there.

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    BirthdayInABox has an inhouse program where they give coupon codes to affiliates. If a sale from a non-coupon affiliate comes in and it has a code in it, I think the coupon affiliate gets the sale.

I traded an email with them about it and it seemed pretty confusing to me.

I would suggest a different merchant. Look at PrintableGamesAtoZ. If they will work, that program is managed in-house at Shareasale and you will get credit for your sales there.
    Scott,

Unfortunately, Printablegames won't work for me because my site is about Kids Birthday Parties and that merchant doesn't cover that area. Plus, I need kids party packs, and other party theme related products. celebrateexpress is the only other sas merchant that carries it and they have a one day cookie (I am going to contact them like Brian suggested.). It kind of stinks since celebrate offers 8% while birthdayinabox offers 12% (currently 15% on promotion) . However, if my commissions are going to continously be reversed, the 12% commission really doesn't mean much.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread