Cool Converting Inactive Affiliates into Active Ones
    What I would like to discuss is the best known strategy that an affiliate manager can adopt in order to make their affiliates active. Of course the 80 / 20 rule exists that 80% of revenue is generated from 20% of your affiliates. And at usual time this has become a 95 / 5 rule in the affiliate marketing industry. Hence the state of paradise being a 100 / 100 rule that would results a 100% results from all your affiliates. I have researched and come to the conclusion that:

1. Filter your affiliates don’t let just anyone join as it invites spammers and inactive affiliates. Of course you can also filter them out afterwards if initially choose not do so.

2. Send them a postal letter for that all time personal touch with a welcome note some goody or a single $1 currency to convince them that you are not running a scam.

3. Educate them as per your industry as to me the best strategy is to have affiliates of the same industry sharing the same interests that can actually help “Push” your product / service forward while creating a “Pull” with their personal abilities.

4. Meet their technical requirements such as customized links banners and support

5. Pay them as soon as they reach their threshold

6. Make one on one customer relationships

7. Send periodical newsletters educating and informing them about changes and updates

8. And finally announce affiliate of the month, campaigns, e-coupons for motivating your affiliates and distinguishing between inactive normal and super affiliates.

Please comment and add to this topic

Great post we actually cover many of these tactics you outline with our network and our retention and affiliate performance has been strong. Our big pluses with our network that affiliates have praised us for is our literally 24-7 support. Anyone can reach me or any of our 4 employees anytime. Second is our community setting with the interactive blog and our communication and strong relationships with each of our affiliates. Another major thing is our payouts. We set a very low commission threshold for our affiliates to meet to start weekly payments.

We are working on a newsletter that is worth sending and reading right now as well.

I really like the idea of an affiliate of the month. Nice post thanks for sharing.

Joe

Talking
    What about the idea of Postal marketing and the $1 ?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahzuberi
    What about the idea of Postal marketing and the $1 ?
    I'd definitely remember your program if you did that!

But whether it'd motivate me would depend on other factors--if I was just unmotivated before, that could get me to put up some links just because it's so rare (the only other places to send me $1s were radio ratings companies and survey companies).

However, if there was some major problem with your program or company (for instance if your datafeed is junkified, or I've found that your competition is offering twice the commissions and just as good of conversions, or something else bad like that), then the $1 alone won't be enough to get me to do anything. Any serious problems on your end would need to be fixed.

If you have a good program and you have product links (with pictures of the products available) and your links convert, the dollar bill in the mail is not necessary.

I like an AM who responds to my e-mail when I have a question, a problem, or a suggestion: this means more to me than a dollar bill in the mail but hey, at least you thought of a good possible gimmick

(I pretty much agree with Leader's take on the situation)

Filter your affiliates don’t let just anyone join as it invites spammers and inactive affiliates.
    I disagree: I don't think that's what would make an affiliate inactive.
    I think instant approval can be good because chances are the affiliate is creating something related to the site the affiliate decided to apply to.
    Wait too long to approve the affiliate and the affiliate will go on to something else (the affiliate could forget or be distracted or in that interim of time the affiliate might find a competitor).
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 2nd, 2007 at 08:41 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you are selling a product that actually does what it is supposed to do, then make this offer to affilaites:

1. Buy our product and use it. If you don't like it, return it for a full refund, shipping costs included. If you like it, keep it and set up links for our product.
    2. Use your own experience as a testimonial to help sell the product.
    3. Upon the first sale, you will be credited all or part of the purchase price of the product. I am thinking the markup could be refunded.

Personally, I have a hard time promoting something I would not touch with a ten foot pole myself. I get emails "Why is there no activity?" from a network that promotes nothing but freebie-SPAM offers that I would not wish on anyone. This particular network has nothing of value.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheesehead,

Do you think Zales needs to follow those steps?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Cheesehead,

Do you think Zales needs to follow those steps?
    Sure! I know you may be joking, but why not? They could certainly afford to refund the markup in exchange for an active affiliate and an additional sale.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Sure! I know you may be joking, but why not?
    Yeah, I was joking but if you can convince Zales, go for it
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

1. Filter your affiliates don’t let just anyone join as it invites spammers and inactive affiliates. Of course you can also filter them out afterwards if initially choose not do so.
    See my other post on this.

2. Send them a postal letter for that all time personal touch with a welcome note some goody or a single $1 currency to convince them that you are not running a scam.
    See my comment on this

3. Educate them as per your industry as to me the best strategy is to have affiliates of the same industry sharing the same interests that can actually help “Push” your product / service forward while creating a “Pull” with their personal abilities.
    Why do different affiliates need to share the same interests?

What if a different affiliate has a different marketing angle? As long as your products are marketed in good taste, why would all affiliates need to be the same? I think you should give them access to the same resources.

4. Meet their technical requirements such as customized links banners and support
    Affiliates often ask for banners in different sizes, in what other ways do you offer customization?

5. Pay them as soon as they reach their threshold
    Better believe it!!!!!!!

6. Make one on one customer relationships
    Could you expand on this? Do you mean relationships with affiliates or with actual customers?

7. Send periodical newsletters educating and informing them about changes and updates
    Okay

8. And finally announce affiliate of the month, campaigns, e-coupons for motivating your affiliates and distinguishing between inactive normal and super affiliates.
    Not every affiliate wants the publicity of "affiliate of the month" (unless it's a private deal).

Coupons don't motivate all affiliates. I sprinkle coupons here and there but my sites are not coupon sites. Plus I get tired of coupon mails (and sometimes they don't carry an accurate affiliate id in the links) -- I'd rather go to the AM's site (in whatever network) and get the coupons myself.
    I get too much mail -- a lot of times it goes unopened.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

There's a thread in the Merchant Best Practices forum about this, too.

This would probably be very effective. Many people feel an obligation when they're given something.

A year or two ago, we received a big packet in the mail from American Express (I think). I opened it up. There was $2, a catalog, a 4-page survey, and a cover letter asking to look through the catalog and fill out the survey. I glanced through the catalog, glanced at the very long survey, put the $2 on the counter, and threw the rest in the trash. A couple hours later, my wife saw the $2 on the counter and asked about it. I told her about the survey, and she dug it out of the trash and filled it out. She felt obligated. If someone would have offered to pay her $10 (in person) to fill out a survey, she probably would have turned them down. But since she was paid and couldn't say no, she felt obligated. It's just human nature.

Another good tactic to use (especially if you have a unique product, a fun product, or a high quality product) is to send a sample to prospective (or new) affiliates. Not only does it help create that "obligation" in many people, it also helps familiarize the affiliates with your product. I've had numerous merchants send me samples. It doesn't always get them added to my site, but it gets them much more consideration than they would have had without the sample.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread