A little question
    How many store can a free popshop have ? I am planning to test a few stores, but somehow Iam reluctant if someday PopShop decides to cancel the pages I've built.

On this page it says 10 - http://www.popshops.com/signup/

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hi Redsand,

Mack is right, the Free plan does allow for 10 shops to be built.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Can you just make one page in a shop? I can't figure out how to make a second page for the same shop. Example: Page 1 code is to show red shoes only, Page 2 code to show blue shoes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    Can you just make one page in a shop? I can't figure out how to make a second page for the same shop. Example: Page 1 code is to show red shoes only, Page 2 code to show blue shoes etc.
    Hi Porkchop,

In our current configuration you can have more than one page in a shop, but you can't customize the subsequent pages. This is why we allow unlimited shops in our Pro and Enterprise level plans for those affiliates who don't want to rely on autofeed, but want to control the customization ability of all aspects in their shops
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Djambazov
    Hi Redsand,

Mack is right, the Free plan does allow for 10 shops to be built.
    Is that right ? I currently have 12 shops. How do I know if I'm overlimit ?

Quote Originally Posted by redsand
    Is that right ? I currently have 12 shops. How do I know if I'm overlimit ?
    Hi Redsand,

The only level that limits shops is the Basic level. In part because we want to highlight our feature set to a new audience AND since we are in beta, we are giving users access to everything like they were at the Enterprise level.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

Hi PorkChop,
    Just wanted to add to what Angel said. Here's how I handled a similar scenario.

One of my sites showcases backpacks for kids. My navigation looks like this:
    # Things that go
    # Plush backpacks for tots
    # Character backpacks
    # Animal backpacks

Each of those links go to a page that has one PHP snippet of shop code. I have autofeed turned on, so each of those sections has page 1 (that was personalized by me) and then multiple additional pages which were automatically fed in based on my original search criteria. All the pages are SEO friendly.

So, basically, I create a bunch of top level navigation pages (section homepages) and let PopShops feed in the rest. This gave me a somewhat robust site with multiple merchant products showcased together in a common theme.

Don't know if that makes sense...

-- JessieJ

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    Tons.

Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    If it makes money, it makes sense. I need to go look again because I missed this feature in my testing. I haven't gone live yet waiting for the release. I already like it, plan on using it, anything added from this point is just icing on the cake. You just showed me more icing I didn't see.

Thanks Jessie. How many items did you have listed on your page 1?

Is there a recommended number of rows/columns to put on your page where load time will not be a factor? I am on regular dial up and there seems to be a pause before the products pop up ---Hey PopShops :-)
    Last edited by porkchop; May 4th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.

I have a follow up question.
    When selecting items for your page 1 are you using just one merchant or several? How specific does your search need to be?

Here is an example: If I put in firefighter I get all sorts of results. There are a lot of books in the results but if I search for firefighter book nothing comes up. It only comes up when I put in just firefighter. So.... if I make my first page with just firefighter books does the autofeed know I am selecting only books or will it put in all sorts of items because my search word was just firefighter?

Hey there,
    As for # of products/load time, I don't have any specific recommendations. The product images themselves come from the merchants, so it depends on how large those actual images are.

I almost alway use several merchants in every shop (for SEO reasons and because I like to offer breadth).

For better AutoFeed results, right now, the more specific the search the better. One thing you need to be aware of is that this is just the V.5 of AutoFeed. After our new servers are in place, and we've finished pounding the new version, AutoFeed will also be able to take into account the category that you selected your products from.

When we've finished upgrading Autofeed you'll be able to use the keyword search term "firefighter" and click a category called "books" and we will feed in only items from that category/merchant/keyword. Now you don't see categories when you do a search. This is a known issue.

AutoFeed will be improving which is why we haven't talked about it much. It's a little buggy currently and we're testing/fixing/testing/fixing/rinse/repeat it.

- JessieJ

Great info!

I noticed when I tried the autofeed I would see the same product come up several times. This will be great once all the bugs get worked out.

Hi PorkChop,
    Yes, that's one of the bugs resolved as "fixed" and verified as working on our test server. You should see that go away as soon as we do our next push (aka soon).

- JessieJ

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread