Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    [edited to update the paper]

We, the undersigned, submit this "Honesty & Fair Practice" statement for review by the respective Ad Networks while they are 'Defining the Rules of Engagement for Software Technologies' on November 7th, 2002.

1. To use the services offered by [insert network name], all affiliates* and merchants* must agree to use honest and ethical business practices as defined by existing USA and International business and criminal laws. Any action, misrepresentation or software application that circumvents or violates existing or future laws will be just cause for immediate termination from the [insert network name] affiliate network with loss of all network benefits and accrued commissions.

2. Merchants must divulge in their profile if they use any of the following tactics:

a] The merchant uses an 800# call center that either acts as an affiliate or works on a commission basis without recording the original referral ID# to credit the referring affiliate.

b] The merchant uses a third party gift certificate or gift registry service that either acts as an affiliate or works on a commission basis without recording the original referral ID# to credit the referring affiliate.

c] The merchant approves and works with "incentive" and reward affiliates.

d] The merchant approves and works with affiliates who deploy ParasiteWare™*.

e] The merchant's website contain non-commissionable products or links to partner sites that do not track commissionable sales.

f] The merchant offers commissions based upon recruiting customers for third parties.

g] The merchant offers loyalty shopping incentives.

3. Merchants must divulge in their profile the following information:

h] The merchant's number of return cookie days and if they are disabled after the first sale.

i] Confirmation that the merchant has passed all network test purchase transactions (done on a random basis at least once a month).

*Definitions

1. ParasiteWare™ is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasiteware™ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.

2. Merchant: A licensed business who receives payment for products and/or services and takes responsibility for the delivery of the same to customers. Merchants agree to pay all commissions derived by honest affiliate sales activity in a timely manner and divulge any activities that undermine or negate referral commissions. Entities who have been accepted to pay commissions by [insert network name] but who are not involved in delivering a billable product or service, will be clearly marked as "special class merchants" in their profile.

3. Affiliate: An identifiable hosted domain or subdomain who seeks commissions for driving targeted traffic to [insert network name] merchants using trackable affiliate coded links assigned to them. To qualify for a commission, an affiliate must originate the trackable click from their own authorized domain or from e-mail identifying their authorized domain or subdomain.

[This message was edited by Haiko on November 03, 2002 at 07:12 PM.]

[This message was edited by Haiko on November 04, 2002 at 08:42 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> must agree to use honest and ethical business practices as defined by existing USA and International business and criminal laws <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I have said numerous times ... U.S. law wont help us. It is up the the network providers and the merchants to act on integrety.

The internet dosnt operate on U.S. law

Dave

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Please finalize things ASAP - I (Elisabeth and I are speaking separately) am putting all of my material together this weekend.

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.us/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

Just to make it publicly clear that I am 100% NOT in support of this opinion paper.

It addresses many issues that have no place at the November 7th meeting, while glossing over many of the key issues surrounding parasiteware, such as the diversion of traffic from merchants and other 3rd party sites.

For reference, I have submitted my own position paper privately to Elisabeth and Shawn.

It is my sincerest hope, Haiko, that you will remove the "We the affiliates and merchants..." section and put "I, Haiko..." there instead - since clearly you're NOT representing all the ABW affiliates/merchants.

--
    Genki Productions http://www.genkiproductions.com/
    Free Email - Affiliate Programs - Web Promotion Tips - Jobs in Japan

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I like it, and agree to it. I did not submit an opinion elsewhere, as I felt there would be something like this that, though it might not speak for everyone, could serve as a voice for several.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    That's a yea from me.

A bit of clarification about this thread before people get to worked up in a lather. If you are in agreement with the position paper and want to be associated with it, then you can state so here so your name will be attached to it. If not, then no need to do anything. Well, except submit your own position paper. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The part at the beginning about "members of ABW" is only referencing those people who have publically stated that they are in agreement to the position and whose names will be attached to the bottom. It is not a blanket statement reflecting all affiliates and merchants of ABW.

This position was actually first presented by Mike here . In a thread, I might add that got much support, which is why it has been presented to the membership at large formally for anyone who would like to be associated with it. Again, it's your choice.

Haiko was kind enough to post this in response to requests by many members stating they wanted to be associated with a group statement. It is also in response to concerns some have expressed regarding security issues with the current format for submitting proposals and the degree of personal information among other things that is required. These concerns have been raised in other threads, and have gone unanswered. This way your can respond and have your name connected with a position for presentation to the reps (again if you agree) by just your ABW screen name. Once people have a chance to respond, then all those who have responded yes, will have their screen names added to the bottom of the proposal for it to be submitted.

Let's all try to keep our frustations and bashing focused in the right direction and not at each other. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    To make it clear for all.

There is no way that everyone can attend a meeting and speak. If I had it my way- it would happen, but we have to be pragmatic.

So far both delegates have been working hard to collect papers in the format I have asked for and communicating their progress with me. I asked for this specific format because I felt it was important that people sign their name to their opinions and suggestions, their business and their company (or URL.).

No one should be on trial for doing their best, and I am sure both candidates will do their best. A task like this is never easy for anyone.

I ask that all individuals keep that in mind that we all are business people, and that this event, even thought it is charged and controversial, solidifies us as an industry- an industry that is working to address its own problems.

Everyone deserves a pat on the back (from all sides) for doing their best at keeping their emotions in check and shaping the industry we enjoy and work in.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

I'll put my name to it.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Yea!
    Cazzie

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Erm, I was originally going to say "yes - except for the spelling, grammar and stucture".

Then I thought I'd really have to list the stuff that needed fixed.

Then I thought I might as well just do it.

Then one thing led to another and I ended up doing a substantial rehash - which probably isn't my place to do exactly.

I don't believe I have changed the meaning at all - you may feel otherwise - but IMHO it is clearer and more consistent. Sorry if throwing this in confuses matters at this late stage but I couldn't sign up to the original "as is".

Accept, combine, ignore - I leave it up to you ...

==========================================
    We, the undersigned, submit this "Honesty & Fair Practice" statement for review by the respective Ad Networks while they are 'Defining the Rules of Engagement for Software Technologies' on November 7th, 2002.

1. To use the services offered by [insert network name], all affiliates* and merchants* must agree to use honest and ethical business practices as defined by existing USA and International business and criminal laws. Any action, misrepresentation or software application that circumvents or violates existing or future laws will be just cause for immediate termination from the [insert network name] affiliate network with loss of all network benefits and acrued commissions.

2. Merchants must divulge in their profile if they use any of the following tactics:

a] The merchant uses an 800# call center that either acts as an affiliate or works on a commission basis without recording the original referral ID# to credit the referring affiliate.

b] The merchant uses a third party gift certificate or gift registry service that either acts as an affiliate or works on a commission basis without recording the original referral ID# to credit the referring affiliate.

c] The merchant approves and works with "incentive" and reward affiliates.

d] The merchant approves and works with affiliates who deploy ParasiteWare™*.

e] The merchant's website contain non-commissionable products or links to partner sites that do not track commissionable sales.

f] The merchant offers commissions based upon recruiting customers for third parties.

g] The merchant offers loyality shopping incentives.

3. Merchants must divulge in their profile the following information:

h] The merchant's number of return cookie days and if they are disabled after the first sale.

i] Confirmation that the merchant has passed all network test purchase transactions (done on a random basis at least once a month).

*Definitions

1. ParasiteWare™ is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasiteware™ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.

2. Merchant: A licensed business who receives payment for products and/or services and takes responsibility for the delivery of the same to customers. Merchants agree to pay all commissions derived by honest affiliate sales activity in a timely manner and divulge any activities that undermine or negate referral commissions. Entities who have been accepted to pay commissions by [insert network name] but who are not involved in delivering a billable product or service, will be clearly marked as "special class merchants" in their profile.

3. Affiliate: An identifiable hosted domain or subdomain who seeks commissions for driving targeted traffic to [insert network name] merchants using trackable affiliate coded links assigned to them. To qualify for a commission, an affiliate must originate the trackable click from their own authorized domain or from e-mail identifying their authorized domain or subdomain.

==========================================

Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A bit of clarification about this thread before people get to worked up in a lather. If you are in agreement with the position paper and want to be associated with it, then you can state so here so your name will be attached to it. If not, then no need to do anything. Well, except submit your own position paper. The part at the beginning about "members of ABW" is only referencing those people who have publically stated that they are in agreement to the position and whose names will be attached to the bottom. It is not a blanket statement reflecting all affiliates and merchants of ABW. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea!

come on people we don't have much time to waste. the meeting is six days left.

it's a simple question Haiko ask, at least give him some credit and say No or yes!

To Miss Elizabeth and Shawn,

Good luck and I thank you personally for represting all of us in this matter.

what ever the outcome of it.

I still say I am very grateful to both of you and to Haiko.

I wouldn't know all of this issue and be driven blind with out this board!

in my own Language "Salamat" (thank you)

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I vote yes on presenting this group paper. The meeting has to resolve something positive for normal affiliates in order to justify itself. The A-F diversion notifications are 2 years late in appearing in the merchant profiles. The Ethics and Fair practices statement has to have some teeth in it to prevent the BHO Affiliate Application crowd from driving us out of business. Remember this is phase I and Phase II will be helped by Federal Legislation and FTC controls.

Mike Hyland -www.EcomCity.com

Here's my wakeup call for the networks and those who think they can poach sales by BHO apps and advertise on the web sites not belonging to them attending this meeting. The FTC will apply all the existing fair trade practices,protections and restrictions they have on the books regarding TV -Radio-Newspaper and print advertising to Internet publishers. In the real world it is not only unethical, but illegal, for any enity to intercept or interupt the airwaves-broadcast bands or modify print advertising during the print process belonging to another enity. WXYZ-TV channel4 owns the rights to their assigned and paid for broadcast band. No other TV station can infringe on their FTC approved band to show their advertising. Sames goes for any radio station and the Internet is a public broadcast medium. My DA step brother and several Attorney generals have narrowed this down and have presented this to the Federal regulatory agencies and FTC as the legal means to shut down or muzzle the abuses of the P2P networks and others abusing the property rights of IP address owners.

Yes I said IP address owners who all are to be protected from any outside party interloping on their assigned and paid for domain address. This means any registered domain with a DNS entry will be able to enforce by law their rights to publish their content and have a say as to any advertising displayed there. NO IP address will be able to intercept, change or infringe on the rights of other IP address owners.

I have recommended this behind the scenes, since last Spring, and not only is this politically supported, but the general public and Corporate America demand this legislation. There will be hell to pay politically for opposition groups to undermine this planned action. These laws have been in on the books and strickly enforced for decades.

So before the CEO's of these networks get caught throwing all their apples into the BHO IP interlopers baskets they'd better stop listening to Wayne's BHO technology innovator clients. The moment the FTC applies these existing broadcast rules and truth in advertising restrictions the Dupers and parasites in any flavor will be toast. The only thing that will happen in the meantime without network intervention, as their private sales figures show, is that the IP traffic interlopers will run hundreds of thousands of normal affiliates out of the affiliate industry. The very same folks who built their industry and made merchants like Overstock a brand name before there ever was a BHO application.

The angry Duck has spoken and I'll help pull the rug out from under anyone who infringes on my IP addresses. Everyone tell your local DA's -Attorney Generals and Congressmen that you'd support this type legislation.

WebMaster Mike
    PS: I drink Johnny Walker Red & water in moderation.

Nova,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yea!

come on people we don't have much time to waste. the meeting is six days left.

it's a simple question Haiko ask, at least give him some credit and say No or yes!

To Miss Elizabeth and Shawn,

Good luck and I thank you personally for represting all of us in this matter.

what ever the outcome of it.

I still say I am very grateful to both of you and to Haiko.

I wouldn't know all of this issue and be driven blind with out this board!

in my own Language "Salamat" (thank you)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Salmat, for being a part of the fight, the fight for justice!

We will win, we are prepared with Shawn and Elisabeth and our cause .... the turth, the results may not be seen in two days or two weeks, but I promise you it WILL HAPPEN!

Haiko

If it starts "We, the undersigned, " I don't find it objectionable at all. In fact, it contains many good thoughts in part 2. But, I hope it does not draw attention from the main objective of sending representatives there in the first place, which is to get rid of parasites.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Good Luck!!!

I deleted extraneous posts in this thread as I submitted a link to this thread in the online form.

Anyone who is supportive of this stance, please post your accordance, NOT disagreement (that can be done in another thread.

Thank You,

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    I agree
    Cazzie

YEA

Yes. I agree.

Keep up the good work.

James Martell
    Author: "James Martell's Affiliate Marketing Handbook - 2002"

ABW Ambassador
    Yea

Add my name please.

Game on!!!!

Yea

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

YEA

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

ABW Ambassador
    I would also like to encourage everyone to help Elisabeth with her expenses as suggested by Haiko in the email he sent us.

I would like to donate $10.00 for Bucksworths efforts but can't seem to figure out how to transfer it from Paypal. Help please. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast