Shared Hosting - Multiple Websites - SSH
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for affordable web hosting that allows multiple domains, mysql, ssh. I run database driven sites and currently use vps and am exploring my options. I guess I'm a tightwad and don't like spending $35 / month for vps.

Well, you could try a reseller account, which would get you multiple domains and msql. But many will not allow ssh, and if your sites use a lot of processing power, you might run up against resource restrictions.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

what do you need in the way of control panels?

how much transfer and storage do you need?

if 35 is to much what are you looking for?

Right now I have 10gb of disk space and 150gb bandwidth on my vps server. I just figure there are better deals out there. I'm sure there are reliable shared, reseller, or vps hosts.

Last month I didn't make enough to even pay for the server. I'm a tightwad. lol

what is your experience do you need a control panel and updates like me or can you handle unmanaged? How much of the 10 gig are you using?

Seems like there are some deal if you know what your doing, otherwise with the control panel all my bookmarks point to the $35-45 a month for 10-15 gig, with cpanel (about 10-15 less a month without cpanel)

hosthideout, a2b2 and webhosting talk are good .coms to shop ;-)

I'll look around abit myself I swore i was moving 6 mos ago (then they threw free ram at me ;-) but have not had a push to go since then, sometimes a buck or two is less important when it comes to having your server up and on a fast node.

using dns stuff as the trace rt I've got a vps on a 7.7 ms 8 hop server and when google comes sniffing around I'm happy it's fast! 10 gig, 150 gig (trans) 384MB ram VPS with cpanel for $45 hate paying it but i don't regret it. Just add it to the expenses your running a business right?

VPS providers who are often recommended include powervps, knownhost, solarvps, and others. I have personally used rapidvps, which I also like. Unlike most, they actually specify how much CPU you get.

Do look at the offers section on webhostingtalk. There's a board just for VPS offers.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Looked over the offers after my last post some unmanaged down to 20 bucks or less depending on what you need.

solarvps has a sale but the 30% off does not match the price quoted as i saw it. Futurehost was getting some good reviews, but up in the mid 30's managed, yet they are a bit less then powervps my host.

if your using firefox there is a great plugin from dnsstuff that allows you to see how fast the server connects, keep in mind that is to dnsstuff server not your location.

try to find one with raid 10 it's supposed to be faster and more reliable, but sometimes more $

lots of deals there find what you need then search for a review of the host...they can be brutal there ;-)

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread