I have been approached by a company that has an interest in hiring me as a consultant. I guess this is another benifit pulling #1 in the SERP's brings. This site has been up over a year and is still pulling a white bar on Google. My strong points are web marketing not html or site design so I couldn't make the actual site changes but I could recommend what needs to be done. What would my services be worth? Is this type of work based on hours worked or a monthly flat fee. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What will the traffic bear? I wouldn't charge less than $35 to $50 per hour, but some will pay $75 to $100 per hour. I wouldn't set a flat monthly fee. You may end up working a ton more hours than anticipated and have yourself locked in and will regret it.

Whatever you do, don't undersell your talent. You have knowledge and skills that these people evidently sorely need with a proven track record that you know how to make it work. If they want the same results for themselves, they need to be willing to pay a consultant's salary.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I'd probably pitch your service on a montly consulting fee. XXX a month for 6 months, etc...

If they don't want to do it that way, give them a price for all the work up front.

As for how much to charge? I've seen seo companies charge from $25/hour to $400/hour. I've also seem them charge per keyword/ranking.

I always would take the guaranteed consulting agreement first though.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    You may want to consider charging for the % of revenue growth.

Your sales are x amount now. In 3 months if I grow it to x amount, you owe me 10% or whatever is within the margins depending on the company.

You can also do a hybrid deal, flat fee up front, against a draw of the % growth.

Don't lock your self down... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

I do a lot of consulting and one of the most popular offers is $2500 per month for 25-30 hours. Customer like it because it is a reasonable fee and I love it because I generally multitask on things.

Search engine and affiliate work can be done for a few sites at once. I can work on their sites and mine at the same time ... so in essense I am on their sites for more then 25-30 hours but I am doubling up the work.

Customer actually gets more than they expected and I do to.

BigFish

I did consulting for a few years here in North-Europe. I charged $150 per hour, but I live in a high-cost country so prices are higher all over. Don't know much about US prices though.

To do consulting you have to live by the word "Whatever you need fixed, I'll do it. Don't worry about anything". So be ready to do html also, clients usually don't want to hire several companies to do one job. You can hire a web developer for $10-$25 on elance.com, and charge the client $100 or something for those hours. Then you are a Project Manager [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

BTW, I quit consulting because I couldn't stand the clients and all their demands anymore [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

If you plan to charge monthly, put a limit on your hours, so it doesn't get out of control. That way, if it goes over the amount of hours specified, you can charge them for the extra work and you won't get overwhelmed for an overall low rate of pay.

J

I agree with Andy (TD) charge by %of growth or you could place a value on those postions/keywords and base it off of that.

Priorityspace.com
    Affiliate Details!

Thanks for the input so far. Great suggestions from everyone. Please keep them comming as I think this is an area that everyone might find useful at some point in time. I would really like to hear from Markymark. It has been rumoured that he has made a quid or two at this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread