Doggy Hero
    This is an amazing story. I wonder if my boys would do the same for me...hopefully it never comes to that.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

My Jack Russel Terrier defended me from a Rottweiler and if any dog bigger than her gets near me she gets on the defensive.

Jack Russel Terriers think they are bigger than what they are.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek

Jack Russel Terriers think they are bigger than what they are.
    Jack Russels are awesome! I swear they have NO fear!

One hunting season my german shepard mix attacked my hubby because he came downstairs in carharts and looked "bigger" than normal. Even after she heard his voice she would not let him in the room until he took of his carharts and looked "normal".

I think the animal-human bond is a fascinating, amazing thing!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

what amazes me is dog stomachs.

our dogs got into my pantry this morning. between the three of them they ate:

1 can coffee grounds
    2 water bottles
    1 large container of dog treats
    2 containers of pill pockets
    5-6 poop bags

How do they do it?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

OMG!!!! Be prepared for massive diarrhea! lol

Most terriers are just fearless.

We have a Cairn who I know would defend the pack (family) against a pack of lions. If she hears any odd noise in the garden when she's let out before bed, she's straight out there barking at the unknown. If we're not careful, she's out the front door to face up any dog she sees of any size, there's been a few that end up hiding behind the owners legs several times her size while we go and retrieve her.

As for eating stuff, she was at the vets a while ago having downed the bony remains of a plate full of spare ribs she shouldn't have had, before going outside and killing and eating a whole rat, the skull of which (eaten whole) got stuck in her gut. Vet had to remove the bones manually from the stinky end of her digestive system - so glad I do AM.

He is really a hero...
    How I wish I have a dog like him...
    But I won't wish to be on that situation, it's too scary. I hate pitbulls, they seem so aggressive that could attack/bite you any time.

Paul, you definitely win the gross pet story of the day award.

Idea Guy, I think you need to take another look at pits! I love 'em and 99% of them are loving and fantastic pets!!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly

Idea Guy, I think you need to take another look at pits! I love 'em and 99% of them are loving and fantastic pets!!!!
    I agree with ya Joe, pits were some of my best, lovable patients! It all depends on how they are raised.

Paul, you totally get the gross gold star

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I feel compelled to speak to the Pit Bull comment. It really is not a one-size-fits-all description of the breed. I had two at the same time - Sampson and Delilah - and loved them dearly. They were wonderful animals, loved the family fiercely and would have licked to death anyone who came into the house. That said, they were also very protective of us. Any breed can sense when they have to protect their master/mistress. Animals are much better at sensing those that don't have our best interests in mind than humans.

As with any animal, you must be a responsible pet owner. This means providing a loving, safe environment, proper training and socialization. Bully breeds are a bit tougher to handle than other breeds as they are so stubborn and headstrong, but the rewards you reap in return for inviting them into the family far outweigh all else.

/pro-pit bull rant
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Kim that was very well stated. I know a bunch of pit rescuers here in town. Unfortunately due to new HOA and community restrictions there is a lot of bsl going on.

Terriers are tough to train, and pits are so big and strong that they can really get out of control if not trained strictly and consistently. I've known pits that I would trust around any of my animals and little kids. I also know pits that have been very vicious. You just have to stay on top of them and make sure they understand you're the alpha.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

My neighbor had a couple of Staffordshire Terriers that used to terrorize the neighborhood. Any dog or cat outside was at risk. These dogs would attack anything, anywhere. They would go into peoples yards and kill dogs that were chained up. One day they just disappeared. Nobody knows what happened to them.

If you want insight into who someone is or how they live just look at their pets. This scumbag who mistreated his dogs and let them run free eventually moved out, after his house was repossessed.

This is not an isolated event unfortunately. What's not mentioned in that story is the culture of some groups in NZ to keep pitbulls solely for their intimidation factor. These 'class A' a-holes couldn't give a damn about the dog, or any consequences of it's actions. Here's a follow up story:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10437525

9 times out of 10 it's not the dog that should be put down...

Vege...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegemite

9 times out of 10 it's not the dog that should be put down...

Vege...
    AMEN!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

There is no need for Pit Bulls to exist. They could easily stop being bred.

The cost of their existence from the wrong people having them is too great. If some a-hole has some other dog breed and doesn't train/raise it right, only the dog suffers. If they have a Pit Bull and do the same, it could (and they do) kill a child or seriously maim an adult.

If I keep tigers and treat them right everyone admires me. If I don't and they kill someone - everyone thinks no-one should keep tigers.

We've gone through that (in the UK) hardly anyone can keep a tiger - some dogs are in the same category. Dogs are large carnivores and built to do the job. Some breeds are unnecessary - why should we risk people keeping tigers because some morons don't do it properly even though most do.

Pit bulls were bred for fighting each other - they do it very well - they are dangerous and there is no need for their existance. There are plenty of other dog breeds to choose from.

Yes - I am a dog lover.

No breed should ever cease to exist

I have more scars on my arms from cats and small breed dogs than any "vicious" breed. The responsibility is up to the owner to raise a well socialized animal.

Pits will never be eradicated because too many breeders make big bucks from producing "desirable" traits, whether that be great conformation or aggression.

My grandmother was chased down, knocked down and bitten by a pit bull running loose in her neighborhood. Even though she received several stitches in her arm she asked animal control NOT to euthanize the animal because the responsibility was on the OWNER, not the pet. The dog was put down anyway and the owner given a slap on the wrist for not having the dog insured.

The problem isn't in the breed, it's in the irresponsible breeders and pet owners. Education is the solution, not extinction.

Just my 2 cents

A breed is just an artificial collection of genes put together by man, there's nothing magical about the concept. Some are good, some are bad, some should continue, some shouldn't.

Paul your comments aren't quite based in fact. Pit bulls were actually originally bred to take down bulls in packs. They were later used by dog fighters. Take a look at the stats here, which are compelling:

http://network.bestfriends.org/Libra...ad.aspx?d=2124

Based upon AKC and UKC stats, the number of pit bull attacks as a % of registered, papered dogs is much lower than many other breeds.

Pit bull haters artifically inflate their numbers by:
    1. Counting american pit bulls, american staffies, staffies, and english bull terriers in the "pit bull" category.
    2. Counting pit bull mixes as pit bulls, rather than as mixes.

I'm not suggesting that pits are for everyone. I have 3 very challenging breeds that I'd never suggest to anyone. The key is responsible ownership. A dog left "roaming" or left on a chain in a yard is, much of the time, owned by a poor owner (not to offend the mushers on the board.:-P) ANY dog, under those circumstances, would be prone to biting or other anti-social behavior.

I would assert that there is a type of person who wants to own a pit specifically for the intimidation factor, and that this type of person isn't interested in doing any sort of training or socializing. In other words, I think it's more a function of the owner.

I have 3 dogs...a border collie, a bouvier and a shar pei. The shar pei is VERY VERY VERY protective of the family. We love him, he loves us, he loves strangers and kids, and all 3 of our dogs get along quite well. He's also very well trained, by pet dog standards. However, a strange dog in our home or elsewhere would be attacked. I treat this as an inevitability and don't put my shar pei mix near situations where other animals would be present. Does that mean he should be put down? I hope not because I love him like a member of the family! It just means that as the owner I have to be responsible and know my dog's limits.

-Joe
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread