Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Question Is this a Freudian slip by CJ?
    I happened to stop and read the paragraph for publishers on CJ's homepage, which says the following:

Maximize your revenue opportunities by developing sustainable relationships with top-tier advertisers. Perform and get paid for every sale and lead you generate. For qualifying publishers, take your program to the next level with our industry exclusive solution for top-performers. Click here to join our unparalleled network of publishers and learn more about our commitment to the long-term success of top-performing publishers.
    I bolded the part that caught my attention. It probably doesn't mean anything, but I was wondering what others thought this might mean about how CJ feels about their less than top-performing publishers. Maybe it's a Freudian slip?. After all, how many companies put a statement on their homepage that only refers to "top" customers?
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

My interpretation is that they are more interested in their "top-performing publishers."

What about the learning curve? Are they shutting out all others [in a sense] in favor of just a hand picked few?
    Is CJ putting most of its eggs in a few baskets (metaphorically Speaking)?
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 2nd, 2007 at 09:37 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Well they have the CJ Performer program which is something they do for top performers. Maybe it's to encourage more folks to work hard to become top performers too?

ABW Ambassador
    'What about the learning curve? Are they shutting out all others [in a sense] in favor of just a hand picked few?"

Anybody can become a top performer. They're not hand holders and going to spend time with people not doing anything and help them up the ladder. You gotta show a little something to get a little something.

it's a business people...cater to those that don't line your pockets and you will have no pockets (within reasonable rules of fair play of course ;-)

Being a CJ performer has its perks...but service isn't one of them. I'm a CJ performer and its hard to get any help at all; and I don't ask too often. help being tracking, information that I need for my websites etc.

Its worth is to become a CJ performer because of the opportunities you'll receive though. And the guys above are right; its definitely an achievable position.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Everyone has good points to make. Like Rhia suggested, they need to consider the learning curve. Somewhere on ABW there was a thread talking about how no company can predict who will become a big money maker for anyone. But then as Trust said, you do have to put some effort into it yourself. Newestuser, mrbshouse and cowboysfan also raised good points.

Personally, my first couple of years, I was a 5-bar affiliate with them, but have since slipped to a mere 4-bars. Yet I received an email from one of their reps a week ago wanting to call to talk with me about what I can do to "grow in to CJ Performer accounts." So it's not like they are ignoring everyone else.

I think the reason the statement on their homepage bothers me is because I spent over 20 years in retail management and I always tried my best to treat every customer as if they were the only one I ever had. Their statement seems equivalent to putting up a store sign saying "Satisfaction Guarenteed: as long as you spend more money than 95% of our customers." Whether a customer is spending $1 or $1,000, you want to treat each one the same, because that little customer might come back later and spend a lot, providing you treat them right while they're spending their $1.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

This may be a little off topic but not totally. I notice the use of the term customer on this board when I often think it is out of place. I checked the Mirriam-Webster dictionary definition for customer:
    1 : one that purchases a commodity or service
    We are not CJ's Customer. They are our customer. They are purchasing advertising from us. They pay us not the other way around. Actually, they are the middleman (sort of like a bank or distributor in the middle) and the merchants are purchasing from us.

Sometimes I believe we need to turn our thought process around and be respectful of our customers.

OK, I am just as frustrated as many others are about support from networks but I also try to remember that they are my customer and treat them appropriately.

We are not CJ's Customer. They are our customer. They are purchasing advertising from us. They pay us not the other way around. Actually, they are the middleman (sort of like a bank or distributor in the middle) and the merchants are purchasing from us.
    I view my relationship with a network or merchant as a business partnership that is focused on the same goal; selling a specific product or service to our joint CUSTOMERS. In this relationship all benefit from that end result.

We are not CJ's Customer. They are our customer. They are purchasing advertising from us. They pay us not the other way around.
    CJ is not my customer. My customer is the individual that visits my site and makes a purchase. In order for CJ to "purchase" advertising from me we would need to negotiate a cost per impression regardless of whether an actual sale is made. When I'm paid only on the sale of a product it is called a commission.

Sometimes I believe we need to turn our thought process around and be respectful of our customers.
    I am very respectful of my customers (as defined above). My business partners earn my respect by dealing with me in a fair and ethical manner.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

with rematt

Online Marketing Consultant
    I think everyone is overlooking what they very well could have been doing which was placing the keyword phrase "top-performing publishers" for the SEs without realizing the meaning. Just a thought
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread