Why I hate affiliate marketing!
    I hate affiliate marketing because this is why:

1) You can never buy a house or car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meaning 1 month you might make 10000 the next month you might make 100 and the next month you might make -$50

Dont get me wrong you can still buy some nice things but as a career it very shakey ground.

How many top affiliates have retired from their jobs? And how scary is it month to month?

So the bottom line for you nnewbies, keep your job and make extra cash, because i nthe afffilate world, everything changes daily

My cars are paid for and my mortgage is getting close.

I'm a merchant these days as well, but I've been an affiliate for a lot longer. Keep your day job if you want to...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

"The loftiest edifices need the deepest foundations." - George Santayana

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him." - David Brinkley

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

Just some food for thought.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    ...You can never buy a house or car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
    I started this affiliate "stuff" eight years ago and the pickings were quite slim for the first couple of years. However the last couple of years have gone very well. In the last year-and-a-half I managed to buy a new Saturn Vue and a lightly used Mercedes Roadster - without financing them. I was able to write a check for each; and the Mercedes purchase was a "business" check.

Our house is nearly paid for and our second home, an oceanfront condo, is half paid for. I work a ton of hours, but I am able to work when I want and where I want. Today I am working in my home office, but tomorrow eveing I'll be using my laptop while sitting on the balcony and watching the waves march along the beach. The paperwork is started for me to take "early retirment" next month - but I went down to a half-time position four years ago.

As Scott posted, "You have to learn the rules of the game." That took me a long while. But, with "practice" you can learn to play better than the competition.

Good luck with your business. It truly can be done, but it helps a lot to find a niche that is fun for you (as I have been able to do). And be willing to keep learning...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Internet Cowboy
    Jason, your rant tells me that you have probably not worked to diversify your business. If you are relying on a single traffic source, a single merchant (or even different merchants in a single vertical market), a single network or one of anything else, you need to work to diversify.
    I usually make within $1500 of the same amount every month. There are ups and downs, but there are ways to stabailize your income in this business.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Whoa. In this thread you talk about making tens of thousands per month. You trying to scare away your would be competition?

I don't understand. I own a company that pays me a salary every month. I have a steady income. The bank doesn't see it any differently than anyone who has a j*b. Everyone has ups and downs. Not everyone manages them correctly.

I feel you rfrustration I guess it comes across as. The only thing i can say to this is that I love this business for the same reason I guess you hate it.

I love the everchanging programs, offers, techniques etc. It is a challange to me. Ihave an MBA - Minor in Marketing and yes I could go work for a company 8-5 M-F and be that check to check stability person or I can be the one to take risk and come up much better.

I have done well for myself in thsi industry buying my first house at 25 in Southern California I think is a major feat. Maybe you can chang eyou thinking a little to be more of the challange such as. How can I make those 10k months more and frequesnt then the $100 months.

I wish the best to you! Dont be discouraged just keep plugging away.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    I hate affiliate marketing because this is why:

Meaning 1 month you might make 10000 the next month you might make 100 and the next month you might make -$50
    putting your website in your sig really helps

ABW Ambassador
    When you say you make 10,000 a month. Is that gross or net?

I could lose my "day job" today. Nothing is for certain. That's why I make sure that my life is diversified. If you can't hack AM full-time, and I certainly understand. Because right now I can't, then yes it's time to get a job.

But I think the statement "I hate affiliate marketing" doesn't help anything.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    OH RLY?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaders-Site
    Possibly best of all, the purchase of this car is

UNTAINTED BY EMPLOYMENT!
    Thank God for Commission Junction!
    I bought it new in 2002, but it's still only got ~25,000 mi on it (I'm usually sitting here, not driving), so I haven't had any grand desire to replace it yet.

As for a house, I'll wait for that until I can pay CASH! I've seen too many people who get m*rtgages end up in some j*b. House payments are evil!

Mortgage underwriters will average your self-employment income right off the tax return. They do that because they KNOW it can be up and down, no matter what kind of S/E it is. If you're making the bucks, it doesn't matter what month it comes in, unless you're spending it as fast as you get it.

I think I'm wasting a serious answer on a rant that wasn't serious though.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread