Performics Redirected Links - how long til active?
    After reading here about all of the issues with link hijacking, links not being displayed due to Norton Internet Security, visitors hesitant to purchase through long and ugly affiliate links, etc..., I've moved the job of redirecting my links through PHP to the frontburner (I'm also appending them with &afsrc=1.

My linkshare links all behave fine when using a simple PHP script to accomplish this. Doing the exact same process for Performics links is causing problems however.

When clicking through to test my Performics links, I get the following error message,

Sorry, This link is not active! Please go back to the previous page.
    I emailed Performics regarding this, to see if they allowed for PHP redirecting on their links. This is the response that I got.

Hello:

We apologize for the difficulty and inconvenience.

As you are now probably aware, we do permit the use of PHP link redirection. The error page you saw is being caused by a delay between when a link is created and when all our servers recognize it. We are working to prevent this from occurring and appreciate your understanding.

Please let us know of you have any questions or need additional assistance.
    I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this problem. How long has it been occuring for? After making a link active, how long does it take generally for Performic's server to recognize these redirected links? I've had some of mine up now for nearly a week with the same message...

I may need to upload files and "age" them a bit before linking them in to my site if this is an ongoing thing....
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by lschofield
    I may need to upload files and "age" them a bit before linking them in to my site if this is an ongoing thing....
    Yep. I don't know how long the wait is, but I usually wait 2 days them put them up and test. PF is my "highest maintenance" network to work with, they make things harder than everyone else does. I'm stuck with it because some of my best merchants are there.

Hopefully, now that they have been purchased by a technology company with a couple extra bucks, they can make some improvements.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by lschofield

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this problem. How long has it been occuring for? After making a link active, how long does it take generally for Performic's server to recognize these redirected links? I've had some of mine up now for nearly a week with the same message...

It should never take that long, at the moment the queue of data waiting to get pushed out to the click servers is empty right now so this isn't due to a problem with your data waiting to get out there. I suspect there is something wrong with the link you are using. Do you have the problem when you paste the clickserve link directly into your browser? Please send an email to affiliate at performics . com and give them the link that is causing you trouble.

Here's a little more detail about expected wait times for publishing links. Links that are provided by advertisers (templates) should work immediately when you generate them/download them. The only exception to this would be if you had very recently (within a couple minutes) created a relationship with the advertiser; in that case, the links won't work until the relationship information has been published to all of our click servers which usually takes less than a minute, but can take a little longer under peak loads.

BYOLs (links you define for an advertiser with a landing page you select) can have more variable delays because they need to be pushed up to the servers as you create them. We batch this data up for efficiency's sake so the wait times for getting a BYOL live can be as short as under a minute up to 10-15 minutes.

In very exceptional circumstances, we will see longer delays but we have been doing a lot of back end work to minimize this and have had a lot of success in eliminating the biggest bottlenecks. If you are consistently having serious delays in getting your links live, please send me an email with your account information and some details about when and what you were doing (ladams at performics . com)

Larry Adams
    Affiliate Product Manager

Thanks Larry for the information on this! I checked again today and found they STILL weren't working, so I contacted Performics support.

They got back to me VERY quickly (almost instantaneously) and found the problem. I have &s rather than &s in my links. I had put those there in order for my html to validate. Apparently everything works fine without those in there.

I think I'm safe to remove the &s and still validate though, as I'm redirecting these through PHP files. Once the html parser hits PHP I'm thinking it will skip over it. I know everything parses fine with amazon links encased in forms (even though it has deprecated elements such as font tags, etc...)

Thanks again!

Just wanted to let you know that I took out the & for just & and the links work great. Also, the page still validates thanks to that PHP redirect! Many thanks for the tip!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread