Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Asking for a commission rate increase?
    As an affiliate, what kinds of arguments and pleas do you use when asking a merchant's AM for a commission rate increase? Aside from the obvious points contained in your plea ("I have generated $xxx in sales for your company in the last 6 months and have been a consistent performer"), what else would be appropriate to add? I know this is a variable answer depending on what kind of relationship you have with the merchant, but I'm looking for some basic arguments that would hopefully be convincing. One thing I thought of is that I might have more sway with a merchant that does not already have a bonus/incentive structure in their program which recognizes better performers. But many of my merchant partners that already have bonus programs have ridiculously high requirements to get to even the lowest bonus tier.

Thanks for any input.

I'd say offer them something, be it better placement, an ad in your newsletters, more PPC traffic, whatever it is you can offer. Show them you are going to do more to promote their brand.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

For our network we try to work with our pubs who show us consistanty as well as week after week of steady performance. The business works both ways. THe more money you make the more we do. So we need to insure before making us loose more of our take we get you to stay consistent and steady so it balances off for the long haul. But we work with people all the time. I really do not think its any magic words that need to be said but more so the personal contact you should I hope have with your AM and just tell them the truth. You would like a payout increase. And build your case with your comitment to the netowork and performance. If they dont help you then you should think abotu moving elsewhere. IMO

I sometimes have affiliates call and ask for higher commissions. I normally do two things: 1) offer to increase commissions based on number of sales per month and 2) agree to match our competetiors' commission rates if the affiliate has written proof of the offer.

I have offered to promote them more and in better placements on my sites inturn for a higher percentage. My best merchant just gave me a 50% increase $$$ for life

ABW Ambassador
    I have been successful in getting a commission increase with several merchants by using Ebates (and other cash back sites) as a comparison point. In some cases, the Ebates rebate is higher than the standard affiliate commission. In other words, Ebates customers are earning more than a regular affiliate is earning. This strategy has worked with some merchants but not with others.

I don't drop merchants that refuse an increase if I'm earning money through their program but I don't give them premium placement.

I usually promise the merchant that if they will increase my commission I will be able to send them more sales in the future. And this way it will be a win-win situation.

This is one of the strongest arguments that I'm using.

ABW Ambassador
    dapyx, the merchant must ask how you intend to do that. After all, any potential customer doesn't know what your commission is so why would they be more inclined to buy thereby increasing your sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    dapyx, the merchant must ask how you intend to do that. After all, any potential customer doesn't know what your commission is so why would they be more inclined to buy thereby increasing your sales?

IF you do PPC more money = more traffic = more sales.
    If you do SEO it will be something like you will work more to get traffic since there is more money involved in that.

Well hell, wonder why I'm not richer than Gates right now.

I've always found that it's easier for me to negotiate commission increases up front. Once I'm generating the traffic, I've found it very difficult to get higher commissions unless I'm able to promise and deliver even more traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Premium placement on my homepage works to get higher rates, but i hate guaranteeing that for any period of time.
    I find that just asking sometimes helps..
    But if they don't increase it, I find other merchants to promote.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've always found that it's easier for me to negotiate commission increases up front. Once I'm generating the traffic, I've found it very difficult to get higher commissions unless I'm able to promise and deliver even more traffic.
    ...and unless you have a competing merchant that offers you more.

G.

It never hurts to ask. I would just tell them I'm planning on making a special effort to promote them and I would appreciate them making it worthwhile.

If I ever find a merchant that pays less than ebates refunds, I'd drop them in a heartbeat . Cutting a special deal to a parasite would be a giant red flag as a merchant you probably don't want to deal with anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    I usually ask for commission increase when merchants call me or send specific emails to offer me exclusive coupon code, better ad placement, or join their newer sites...

I had an AM called yesterday to thank me for the sales and ask me to join one of their newer sister site. I got a 60% increase in commission for both programs.

Say whatever reasons you think you deserve to have a raise, nicely.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join the program and generate sales, then go back with a track record and offer to increase sales for an increase in commission. You have creditability and every AM is interested in more revenue. Ask for your ranking in the program and then ask what the top commission is. Give the AM a plan to meet that level for a similar level of sales.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread