Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dieting, Fitness, & Health Forum Purpose
    Pursuant to my Personal Milestone Thread I decided to open a forum that had tips, resources and ideas for getting healthier and to support one another.

So here it is ... let's get healthier
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Nice! and congrats btw! I haven't gotten a chance to say it in the other thread so I'll say it while I'm here.

Diet support, I think is crucial and am so glad there is some in my favorite place
    KK

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Cooool! I was hoping you would start a support forum

I did my last "bad girl's night out" last night. Got all of the drinking and eating fried foods out of my system. While I had every intention of getting up this morning and going for a walk, the hangover said otherwise Sooooo, feeling crappy today is all the more motivation to feel healthy!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Ditto...five years ago, me and my 5'5"-tall self tipped the scale at 171lb. I'm down to a healthy weight now, would still love to get rid of the jiggly bit that is my tummy, but feel so much better about myself these days.

Having a support network is absolutely critical...I have friends and family who are food pushers, and that really undermines my self-will sometimes. Anyway, I'm glad this is here. Thanks Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Pursuant to my Personal Milestone Thread I decided to open a forum that had tips, resources and ideas for getting healthier and to support one another...
    As expressed elsewhere this is an awesome idea, man!!

WTG!!

Geno

Sure the day I was gonna start a weight loss forum
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thanks for that. I finally cured my "Dunlops Disease" but still have a little ways to go.

I'm finding that the closer I get to my goal, the harder it is to reach. Then I catch myself doing the "I've done so well I deserve this extra large pizza and chocolate shake" justification/excuse.

I just kicked the Dr Pepper habit and am on my way to all around better eating/living...this is gonna be so good for me!

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Has anyone seen the "Supersize Me" independent film? That was a huge wake up call. Saw it earlier this week.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's progress during the next 6 months Plus having everyone kick me in the rear when I get lazy!!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Ditto...five years ago, me and my 5'5"-tall self tipped the scale at 171lb.
    My God! Can't even imagine that - You look so tiny now Carolyn! WTG and keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    I'm down to a healthy weight now, would still love to get rid of the jiggly bit that is my tummy, but feel so much better about myself these days.
    I'll bet. Tummy issues ...uh yeah. Me too.

I threaten to get out of this chair and just walk every day. That's a good start for everyone. And getting off the soda habit is huge. I have never been a soda drinker but I've seen many people lose 20 lbs in a month just by dropping that nasty habit. Even diet soda is evil. I know it's hard to imagine, but dropping diet soda will drop pounds, too.

My advice is: protein, fruit and veggies. Plus any exercise you can tolerate. Identify your "trigger food" and work to overcome that addiction. Mine is sugar, other addictions can be salt, soda, bread, fried and greasy foods. Whatever you crave is probably your trigger food. When I'm trying to kill the sugar addiction, I replace tat craving with any protein or salty food. Cutting the addiction is the first step. The pounds drop rapidly once that trigger food is eliminated.

Also, a good multi vitimin daily and exercise is vital. Having the energy to get out there and move is hard when there's all that extra weight to drag around.

Here's to 2007 being the year of healthy, lean affiliate marketers!

Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Haiko's giving out pedometers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    My God! Can't even imagine that - You look so tiny now Carolyn! WTG and keep it up.
    I was gonna say the same. Carolyn

Rexanne, why is your post all red? ...Excitement?

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Rexanne, why is your post all red? ...Excitement?

Geno
    Ackkkkkk ... not excitement, just trying to keep replies easy distinguish. Probably for myself mostly.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    And getting off the soda habit is huge. I have never been a soda drinker but I've seen many people lose 20 lbs in a month just by dropping that nasty habit. Even diet soda is evil. I know it's hard to imagine, but dropping diet soda will drop pounds, too.
    I had NEVER in a million years imagined this could be remotely true!

But a couple of months ago, I-- *I* --quit drinking my beloved Barq's. I had already cut down to 1 can/day before, with no weight change at all. But I was still feeling sugar-pickled (hard to describe...a physical sensation though), so I stopped drinking it altogether. Not to lose weight, but because my body didn't seem to like having that much sugar (about 14 teaspoons worth!) going in. Weight-wise, I figured if cutting down to 1 can hadn't helped, then going to 0 cans shouldn't make a difference either...

But this week when I went back to the gym (after not going all winter), I found I'd lost about 13lbs (from what I weighed in January)! And now that I'm back to walking again, that should only get better. But what shocked me is that lbs went away even without exercise, once I stopped drinking ANY pop.

Diet pop was never an option to me...that stuff is yucky. But I've seen reports that confirm its weight-gain effect.

As for what I replaced the caffeine with...coffee. With its taste suitably masked with creamer and just 1 tsp. sugar. Only 1 cup with caff, then decaf for the rest of the day. Even though I sugar it, it's way less sucrose than is in a can of soda.

But, the newest reports out about coffee say it's actually good for you in some ways (especially for lowering diabetes risk)! I've never seen a report that said that pop was any good, other than the taste of it.

Having the energy to get out there and move is hard when there's all that extra weight to drag around.
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I stayed in this winter. I couldn't motivate myself to endure both cold, and then exercise!

But now my muscles are stiff again, and it'll take a few weeks of gym time just for them to obey without complaint. Blegh.

On the positive side, after only a couple of walks, my back has quit killing me!! It had started to hurt in the winter, and I suspected it was because the muscles had started shortening up, but I didn't expect such quick relief!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Oh geez - I have every vice know to man - and some I made up!!

But I'm a team player, and I support all of you, so I'll find some baby step thing I can do to be supportive.

Don't laugh, but to ME, that means buying a cantalope instead of a 3 Muskateers bar!

Leader

After Affiliate Summit I got home and saw the pics of me that the camera added 10+ pounds. I quit drinking soda and lost 15 +pounds without really trying. I was sitting on my A** drinking almost a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi every night while pounding out useless content. I have now found out that neither one is good for anything. (especially the worthless content) Went from 222 at the Summit to 206 right now. Goal 190 by whenever. I do still have Capt Morgan/Pepsi/lime on occasion becuase the lime is fruit and fruiit is good for you and because I own Capt Morgan stock lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The trick can sometimes be as simple as setting a series of small, attainable goals that can motivate you, instead of impossible larger goals that leave you feeling inadequate.

Also, visualization helps. Imagine yourself as the person you want to be: a little thinner, a little more spring in your step. Call up that image when your habit is to go snack, and use it to motivate yourself into a snack that's better for you and helps you to your goal.

Two years ago, my doctor said I should lose 20 pounds. I've lost 10 of them so far, and losing just another 10 feels possible.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Sure the day I was gonna start a weight loss forum
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Haiko, Thanks for having this forum here. I already posted request to your pedometer offer thread.

Definitely my weak point is exercise. On the days I don't garden I seem to forget to.
    I have a particular problem called Candida and have to follow a very strict diet to be well. I am finally getting healthy enough to consider shedding the tire. I'm going to start walking on my off-gardening days.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    Support
    Haiko, saw your personal milestone thread, and it was just too long for me to add another post! BUT, WTG!!! I'm so proud of you! I'm cig-free 5 months now, myself. Not without a little crutch, though. And I gave myself permission to eat any and everything for the duration - and I did! Gained about 20, need to drop them and another 50 to be healthy. Not skinny, just healthy.

However, I have a problem with my legs and can't always walk very well. I'll do what I can & drop the sodas and ice cream to support you and the others who are doing so well. All the best
    Last edited by tn-morgen; May 26th, 2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen
    However, I have a problem with my legs and can't always walk very well. I'll do what I can & drop the sodas and ice cream to support you and the others who are doing so well. All the best
    I was laid up with a lower back issue in December and discovered Chair Aerobics. You can buy the DVD's. It's amazing the aerobic workout you can get sitting in a chair. I would really recommend it if you have trouble walking.

Best wishes.

Here is what is working for me. But bear in mind, it takes dedication and motivation. Like most, I used to drink sodas, maily mountain dew. For the past two plus months, I haven't touched a soda. I used to drink beers too. Haven't drank anything since Jan.1.
    Changed the way I eat too. I guess you can call me, 80% vegetarian. I eat meats twice a week, maybe. Lots of fruits, vegestibles, whole grains. Switched from drinking regular water, to distilled water. And juices too.
    I fast once weekly for 24-36 hours, with water and an ocassional cup of coffee, mostly black, but now and ten I add cream only. And green tea, always tastes good...no sugars. And hopefully three times a year, will try a 7-10 fast.
    I started walking about a month ago. And also am involved in karate, made it to brown belt, in four years now and am working towards 1st degree black. In the past month plus, have gone from 240 to 225. My goal is 190.
    I will get there with a little persistence. Any suggestion, of what else I can be doing, would be great. Thanks for starting this forum, Haiko. I am sure we can learn from one another.
    One more thing, get a good dietary supplement. I have been on a suppliment that is vergetarian for the past year and it works great for me.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Thanks..............Madison

Thumbs up A shot of feel good
    This is a very good idea. I personally am fit but have empathy and much respect for people who have the desire to improve their physical self. This forum will offer encouragement so if any are needing some tips and/or encouragement, they came take a quick look in here and hopefully feel better!
    Last edited by stellarseller; July 29th, 2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: wrong word. replaced it.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I'll Bite!

Had a Heart Stent put in my Right Coronart Arterie in March of 2006.

By the time I got out of the hospital, 3 weeks later, I was told by my physicians that I had High Blood Pressue, Respiratory Distress, Border-Line Diabetes, High Chlorestoral and probably a bad case of " OOOPS" .

lol

I dieted, took my $800 a month of meds and lost 20 pounds.

I felt so good, that I started smoking again, needed to have a Steak and didn't think twice about Bar-B-Q'ing ribs - blah - blah - blah..

NEEDLESS TO SAY... Gained everything back!

Should I call Jenny Craig?

hehe ! :-)

Affiliate Manager Mark-RockCreek's Avatar
    This is a great forum to have Haiko. I personally can't get up any motivation to "work out" or "stay healthy," but I have found that getting involved in sports that you love will keep you healthy because you actually *want* to be out there, and you don't think of it as a workout or some kind of chore.

If you haven't found your sport yet, don't give up. There are all kinds of great things to do in the outdoors or at the gym that won't seem like work at all once you get past the initial stage of learning the new skills, building the right muscles, etc.

I always enjoyed running, but when I developed arthritis I had to find something lower impact, and I bought a road bike. Now it's about the only thing I think about when the sky is blue... I would ride every day if I had the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast