13 46.43%
  • Yahoo

4 14.29%
  • Hotmail/Live Mail

3 10.71%
  • Other/None/This question is stupid

8 28.57%
    Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo: Which one
    Which one do you use for email (see the poll) and why? I have been in love with my gmail for awhile. But I've realized that there is no way to send email without it looking like it is coming from Gmail. You can set up a sep. account to send from, but the receiver receives "from patrick@gmail.com on behalf of patrick@otherdomain.com". I need to send/receive ALOT of email at my otherdomain.com

I need to use a web based client and I am considering Yahoo! It looks like for $20 a year I can send/receive from other non-Yahoo accounts. I am leaning that way as long as sent emails do not in any way show they came from Yahoo (professionalism reasons).

How about you ?

(I need to use it to manage contacts and calendar also)

Thanks,
    Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Internet Cowboy
    I prefer Gmail but I don't send a lot of emails. Gmail has a very good spam filter and I like the way the userface is set up. Great search capabilities. I have domain email sent to Gmail and can send domain email from it too.

g has enough info on me already why do i want to let them read my email too?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    all...lol but gmail is the primary

Scoot can you check something for me? Send an email from your gmail.. but use your other non-gmail address. Send it to a test address that you may have elsewhere or use patrick . allmond @ gmail. I think what happens is that it comes as "unclescooter at gmail.com on behalf of unclscooter @ otherdomain.com". IF someone was to reply to that the reply would go to gmail.com.

That is what I am trying to fix. I want to look it look like me @ otherdomain.com and then when people reply I want it to go to otherdomain.com. I want gmail to just be the invisible vehicle.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

http and a telephoto
    I haven't seen it doing that Patrick, but I use Eudora to check my gMail.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

PM me your email address and I'll try it out on you.
    ---
    ---

Gmail sends the following headers in emails:

Sender: (your gmail email address)

How it displays to the recipient will depend on the recipient's mail client. Outlook sees the "Sender" field and uses the "on behalf of" phrase.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael - I did not realize the technical end of it. Do you know how Yahoo handles it for their $20 a year paid account ? I might have one of those within the hour if it can 'behave'.
    ---
    ---

No, I don't. For their free account, it looks like they use:

Reply-To: (whatever email address you specify)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I do use GMail for a few things, but I have been very happy with a couple of email accounts I have with Everyone.net. Privately branded for five accounts at $35 per year. I set the MX record to point to them and they handle it all. Very reliable, cost effective, and having my own domain makes things look a bit more professional. Added advantages are - no load on my server, no spam/hack attempts on my server, a great spam filter, emial notificaton to another account, plus a few more options.

You can also use a client side program, e.g., Outlook, to check and retrieve email. There is also a feature to check "external" email accounts within the everyone.net webmail interface.

I started with them about 7 years ago offering a "free" (but ad supported) affinity email for readers of my "main" beach and city web sites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks Beachy. I will always have my domain. It is just which of the popular webmail clients to use with it. I cannot rely on Outlook because I am very mobile. Need to be able to check email anyplace there is an available internet connection.
    ---
    ---

Update: I started using the Yahoo! $20 a year program one thing I can DEFINITELY tell you. The Yahoo spam filtering sucks! I am having to deal with so many spams in my inbox there might as well not even be a spam filter. On the other when I was using Gmail I'd almost never see them. They were all right in the bulk email folder. I've checked my Yahoo settings and my advanced spamguard is on - that is part of the $20 year package.
    ---
    ---

I like gmail and use it, but I would never use them for business. Their T of S really scare me.

I use the paid Yahoo client for pulling in domain emails, and it's my impression that its spam filter doesn't do much on those mails. However, you can still run a spam filter on the server you're pulling the mail from, which I do.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread