ABW Ambassador
    SpaFinder.com's Pathetic Affiliate Manager
    I have been adding their links to my site weekly and promoting them the best I can and after all this hard work I get slapped in the face by them and not a single prior email to enquire about what I'm doing but just one of those very nasty "SCREW YOU as your not making enough sales" letters and I need a promotion so I have to impress my bosss so I'm going to drop you from our program so I can show my boss that I'm doing something .. IDIOT

We regret to inform you that Spa Finder, Inc has removed you from their
    Affiliate Program. Merchants may remove affiliates from their programs
    for many different reasons, including violation of legal terms, inactivity, changes in site content, etc. If you feel that you have been removed in error, or would like further clarification on why you were removed, please contact affiliates@spafinder.com.

LinkShare manages hundreds of other affiliate programs. We encourage you to log in and find other programs with which you may want to partner.
    my response to the idiot:

All I can say is that you are the one who should be dismissed from your company, you obviously are desperate to show statistic to your employer. You need to learn how to run an affiliate program professionaly and the way it is done in 2007 and understand what it takes to be a successful affiliate manager. How dare you send me this and tell me you are dropping me from your program without any prier communications on this matter. After sending me promotions weekly, I have been updating my websites with these and spent a hell of a lot of time promoting this company.

Good luck with seeking your promotion!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Mercantila did this to me today. Well.. goodbye then )

Quote Originally Posted by pexcornel
    Mercantila did this to me today...
    I am collecting affiliate-removal-from-the-program messages. Could you please PM me the one you've received from this merchant? I am very much interested in the wording.

Also, if anyone else has received these in the past (or will receive them in the future), please PM the text to me or e-mail it to me at kickouts /at/ amnavigator /dot/ com

Many thanks in advance.

Geno

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I am collecting affiliate-removal-from-the-program messages. Could you please PM me the one you've received from this merchant? I am very much interested in the wording.
    Oh oh...Geno is taking out his notebook and issuing pink slips to affiliates in his prog

I am not sure what Spa finder is doing? Not sure how big their affiliate database is because the reason I can see them trying to reduce the head count is to keep the affiliates # less than xxxx or xxxxx amount so that they can send an email out w/o being charge by LS.
    Or maybe the person is a new AM

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I would respond with a direct link to this thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=85372.

If they don't "get it" after reading that, then they never will.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

I don't know how LS charges for e-mails, but I'm starting to feel like I'm being spammed by Spa Finder. I have received at least one e-mail a day from them for the past week to join their program. On some days I've received 2 or 3.

I had no intention of joining their program and now I know to avoid them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    These Affiliate managers (most likely new or little knowledge of the industry) have to be stopped in their tracks when thinking they can just toss us around like numbers on paper. We are worth a lot more with all the time & effort we go to get sales for each merchant. In most cases some merchants products sell easier than others, some of my own websites make much more than others and some of my merchants products sell much more than another etc etc. It all takes time and one day a new site or channel and better se spot is found or whatever and suddenly there is a new commission source.

When they do this they really upset our system and they certainly are not going to get away with treating affiliates as disposable potential sales channels. I personally work nearly 16 hours most days on this business and it is growing each day so the work is well worth it. Waking up in the morning to read letters like the above can really make your day bad and leave an empty feeling for all the time you have put in for that particular merchants promotions. You don't need this, what we need is patience, encouragement and understanding but if help is offered then they should learn from top managers like seen on these threads and learn how to use the latest technologies and improve their programs instead of dumping affiliates.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I used to be offended about termination notices, but now I just consider them to be "clueless merchant notices", who I would be better off not working with anyway.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I used to be offended about termination notices, but now I just consider them to be "clueless merchant notices", who I would be better off not working with anyway.
    Yeah, but I would be pissed if I spend like 3 hrs setting up pages or DB for them and they terminate me. It takes 3-4 months to generate SEO traffic. They are clueless but I just wasted 3 hrs and did not earn a penny.. at least pay me for the 3 hrs or let me earn the 3 hrs

I think that's just the general Linkshare Response that gets sent out when an affiliate is removed. I may be wrong though .. it's been awhile.
    KK

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I don't know how LS charges for e-mails, but I'm starting to feel like I'm being spammed by Spa Finder. I have received at least one e-mail a day from them for the past week to join their program. On some days I've received 2 or 3.

I had no intention of joining their program and now I know to avoid them.

-rematt
    The Linkshare ones have a pattern, I wonder if they are managed by one person or control center as I have noticed the emails increase for these merchants, the pace increases from once a month to once a week, then there is several over about 2-3 days each even daily then you get the letter that tells you your out.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Yup...I take down those links and say "Buh Bye!"

I'm an affiliate manager. I haven't terminate an affiliate in my program yet. I approve them for a reason and once we're partners I work with them through any problems that might've surfaced. If I suspect there's illegal activity? i contact them and we work things out. If sales are too low? I talk to them to see how we can improve together and throw ideas around. I think that once I approve them in my program, it is my responsiblity to put in the effort communicating with them to make things work. And even if sales are low, you have to give them a chance! To just terminate someone, especially someone working hard for you, without prior communications.. that's just rude!

The only reason I see myself terminating someone is if I see that throughout many communication attempts they're just not putting in the effort, then I'll probably terminate them.

I actually met one of their developers. (off topic I know)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's a couple of ideas:

Send them a bill for your time!!

Find a competitor, become their top affiliate and when spazfinder tried to court you send them the bill and the termination letter!!
    http://www.google.com/search?num=100...22&btnG=Search

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I guess I was very annoyed when I started this thread, they don't realize how sensitive we are to getting letters like this but I think the above is encouraging as Michael now has problems of merchant managers pestering him to join their programs. They have to acknowledge that some of us are here for long term & not just for a few months as a part time side income project, I threw my day job in and took up affiliate marketing full time working long hours a day and in a few years I will also be in a position I hope where merchants will be contacting me all the time to join up ( although I do get that already to some degree). Merchants affiliate managers have to understand that they are cutting of their own toes when they cut affiliates off and as Chuck mentions, the competition will be the one who gets the benefits in the future.

It also happens with other networks like on this current thread

Affiliate Manager davidscookies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swong
    I'm an affiliate manager. I haven't terminate an affiliate in my program yet. I approve them for a reason and once we're partners I work with them through any problems that might've surfaced. If I suspect there's illegal activity? i contact them and we work things out. If sales are too low? I talk to them to see how we can improve together and throw ideas around. I think that once I approve them in my program, it is my responsiblity to put in the effort communicating with them to make things work. And even if sales are low, you have to give them a chance! To just terminate someone, especially someone working hard for you, without prior communications.. that's just rude!

The only reason I see myself terminating someone is if I see that throughout many communication attempts they're just not putting in the effort, then I'll probably terminate them.
    Very nice reply! I'm from the same school of thought. The way I see it, a small fish today may grow into a whale tomorrow. And threads like this remind me that everybody is important, because word of mouth advertising is extremely valuable, and negative posts about a company have an equally significant impact. I agree with the quoted post as to how to handle relations.

Response by SpaFinder Affiliate Manager
    Hi Glinted –

I wanted to introduce myself – my name is Raul Diaz and I am the SpaFinder Affiliate Manager. First, I’d like to apologize to you – you certainly did not deserve to be removed. Prior to my start with the company – there wasn’t an affiliate manager position. The person who was handling the affiliate issues was actually responsible for another area in the company (in this case she managed the day spa accounts). So basically all affiliates who applied into the program were accepted.

There were close to 30,000 affiliates when I started in January and I was asked by our management dept to trim down the LinkShare costs which were high – unfortunately LinkShare charges you once you go over a certain maximum number of emails – I was told to trim the number of inactive affiliates – I did not like this idea and I protested that it was a bad move on our part to do that. I come from a school where, like David says, ‘a small fish today may grow into a whale tomorrow.’

Nevertheless, I did send an email out in January advising affiliates who had joined our program in 2003-4 that ‘in order to maintain the level of service we are striving to give, a decision has been made to delete any affiliates with more 12 months of inactivity - which is defined as no sales generated from the affiliate's link or no "click-throughs" via the banner/text links, as monitored by LinkShare” by May 1. In addition, I did offer an extra commission incentive for 1 sale and asked affiliates on any suggestions or comments on how I could help them.

On March 7, another email was sent to the same group again asking if any affiliate needed any assistance and asked them to contact me as to any concerns as to why sales weren’t converting. I was still lobbying to not remove affiliates but was getting no where. I came from another successful affiliate program (OctopusTravel.com) and I am a strong believer in an open door policy with my affiliate partners - even if the number of affiliates is larger than usual.

Well in early May those affiliates were terminated (the email sent was a standard email that LinkShare sends) but I also sent an email to many of those affiliates in categories that I thought we could still work with advising them that I wanted to keep them on the program and was going to do so – against my management’s decision. It’s been a long process but I am in the process of contacting affiliates individually and getting them back on board and working on ways to help them.

I do apologize to you and would like to extend an olive branch of sorts to you. Our company is still relatively new in this area and is bound to experience growing pains. I want to try to make them as painless as possible but, as you experienced, sometimes we’re still going to experience some growing pains that we need to address.

I would like to see affiliate managers and partners brainstorm ways to manage the masses and activate the inactives – perhaps that’s something we can all explore in a positive manner.

I hope we can open up a line of communication with you as I can see you have a terrific background and can offer a beneficial insight as to the affiliate end of things. I always appreciate suggestions and ideas on how we can improve our program and our relationships.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to address this issue and I hope you contact me so we can speak further. I hope you can give us a chance to prove to you that we want to work with you. My email is raul.diaz@spafinder.com.

Kind regards,

Raul
    Last edited by SpaFinder; May 20th, 2007 at 03:48 AM. Reason: updare

ABW Ambassador
    I'm unsure what happened to the emails but I did generate clickthroughs in the last year although no sales for SpaFinder. Anyway I accept your apology and I'm also sorry for getting annoyed about this back when i wrote this... It's just annoying when you are constantly adding merchants links each week and you get terminated which is a very intimidating experience and I had thought there was no prior communications. If you like you can put me back into your program and we can try a fresh start , otherwise good luck with your program and thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaFinder
    I would like to see affiliate managers and partners brainstorm ways to manage the masses and activate the inactives – perhaps that’s something we can all explore in a positive manner.
    You might want to take a look at the following thread in the Merchant Best Practices Forum:

What To Do With Inactive Affiliates
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Raul, thanks for posting, it goes a long way to winning trust of affiliates. Evidently your program was important enough to have it posted on ABW. Use that to build a positive reputation.

I agree with Chuck, a response in ABW is positive
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Definitely agree with the others.
    Agree completely with Glinted. I do try to take the attitude others have posted in several threads if somebody terminates you in their program...Actually a lot better than I did in the beginning, but it's definitely not something that's gonna make anybody feel good that it's happened, either.

Raul - Your reply was a very nice one and think you would've made it awfully difficult for anybody to not accept your apology

Thank you for your positive response. I will certainly take this experience and build on it. One of the challenges I am looking most forward is getting those inactive affiliates and working on ways we can get them active - together! I have a lot of ideas that I want to try out and look forward to hearing ideas of our affiliates as well - the only way we'll succeed is by working together. I appreaciate the postings on "Merchants Best Practices' many of which I had already used!

I hope to work with many of you closely in the future and again please feel free to contact me at raul.diaz@spafinder.com.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread