Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Unhappy I feel sooo bad
    A few days ago when I was building fence for my horse Kahlua, she had her first major injury.

She is so attached to me that she was down in the area of the arena that was across from the turn out where we were working, jumping around, tossing her head and being silly. I went to the fence and was petting her and she decided she felt so good she wanted to roll right there at my feet. When she did, her hind leg went under the fence and pulled the high tinsel wire clean off the insulators 3 posts away! If anyone has ever heard high tinsel break loose it makes kind of a scary sound so both of us jumped back. Then I saw her limping and she had about a 7 inch long 1 inch wide gash on her leg. I ran in the house to get some peroxide and she was so panicky that I wasn't out there while she was hurting she started whinnying so loudly that two of our neighbors came outside because they knew something wrong.

Once I had her tied and looked at it, it really wasn't that bad. It more or less just ripped the hide off. It will definitely leave a scar, but thankfully it didn't go any deeper than the skin.

I just feel horrible about it. If she wasn't such a big baby she wouldn't have been in that part of the arena trying to get my attention and she wouldn't have tried to roll against the fence. I tried to build my fences as safe as possible with no barbed wire etc. and she still got hurt.

Guess it's been so long since my daughters were young enough for bumps and bruises, that I forgot the guilt you feel when they are hurt. You try everything to protect them and then when there's an injury and they are in pain, you feel horrible!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Accidents will happen, no matter how terrific the mommy!

The good news is she is safe and will heal quickly, especially with you there to watch over her. She's in the best of hands - nothing quite like a mother's love.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Thanks Kim

My best friend was just here (she's a vet) and looked at it. It's doing great but we gave her a shot of penicillin just to be on the safe side.

When my friend saw how guilty I was feeling she said "Oh for pete's sake! Cowgirl Up! It won't be the last time and I'm surprised it took this long for her to get cut!" Gotta love friends!
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; May 4th, 2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

I can't even come close to an answer as good as Kim's.

"Cowgirl up" - I like that! Just make sure to stay away from the chawbacki
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I think a lump of sugar will do the trick for Kahlua and a pair of new riding boots should help your guilt!

Thanks Haiko and Welshie!

ewwwww chawbacki no matter how cowgirl I get, can't see myself doing that........although I have been looking a cool pair of chaps, bet that would really make me feel better!

Internet Cowboy
    She'll be fine I'm sure. How handy it must be to have a best friend who is a vet. I have a sister here in Texas who has 4 horses. It seems like it's always something. They are amazingly sociable creatures!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    How handy it must be to have a best friend who is a vet
    extremely handy! Alot of the rodeos and races I'll be going to are out of state so she'll need health papers and such. Steph saves me a ton of money! Although we barter our services by myself going in with her at 2 am for after hour emergencies lol

Do you ride your sister's horses?

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    Do you ride your sister's horses?
    Ha! I got on a horse when I was in high school. I dug my heels in, yanked on the reins and went "Yaaaaaa" real loud, just like they do in the western movies. The horse went up on his back legs and took off. I had no idea about the whole "keep your weight on your feet" thing and bounced around in that saddle just enough to cause great pain the the "jewels". Never again

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Just keep telling yourself, "I'm a good horse mom," over and over until you believe it again.

I know how you feel. I shrink inside if I accidentally step on a dog's foot or trip over them. Hey, if they weren't up my butt all the time this stuff would never happen but I feel guilty anyway.

You're fine. She's fine. Take a deep breath and give her an extra apple. Or get her a goat! Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Ha! I got on a horse when I was in high school. I dug my heels in, yanked on the reins and went "Yaaaaaa" real loud, just like they do in the western movies. The horse went up on his back legs and took off.
    Oh I would have paid $$ to see that!

lol Rhea, can you believe she STILL won't eat an apple or carrot? I did go out and give her some animal crackers and M&M's and apologized profusely. Later today I'm taking her over to the farm and let her run with a calf that has been bottle fed. He's finally big enough for a playmate Thanks, I'm trying to be a good horse mommy

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Over the years we've had countless horse injuries / near injuries. It's just the nature of the beast. Such strong animals, and yet so frail in many ways. The "injury" most always looks worse than it is, but that's horses! I had one that got tangled in a wire fence one day and just about diced himself in panic. But he was ok spare a few cuts and abrasions. As long as you got her wound treated, she'll be fine - so rest easy.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Awwwwwwwwwww RGSgrl - you need a hug!

Guilt has to be the most useless yet over-played emotion we have. A friend of mine claims that guilt is the worst work of the devil. But I SO understand your misery. Takes me months to get over seeing a squirrel hit on the road, let alone one of my babies (human or animal) hurt.

I love "ride it like you stole it" - beautiful!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks Alan and Rexanne

I just got back from TSC and have a big bottle of Novasol, Fura-Zone, gauze and vet wrap! I'll be prepared next time!!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    rgrsgrl, One day I would love to experience a relationship with a horse. I envy what you have with Kahlua!

awwww, thanks Gary!

I attribute a lot of our bond to the way I have raised her. My trainer introduced me to Native American Horsemanship and Gawani Pony Boy It's all about earning trust and respect with a horse, not demanding it.

For kicks we tried an experiment last night on the human-animal bond. My best friend went to one end of the arena and was giving her M&M's. I quietly walked out from the barn where she couldn't see me to the other end (about 30 yards) and said her name in a plain, calm voice. I didn't say come here, make clicky noises or whistle. Just said her name. She turned and came running towards me to stand at the gate and wait for me to come in. I can't even describe my elation at that point I felt more special than.....well an M&M!

I also tried a pretty big sacking out exercise with her after that where she was standing against the gate and I climbed halfway up it to be way above her. Then I put one hand on her back to add some pressure and threw my other arm over her to simulate a leg going over and resting on her. She never budged and just turned head to look at me then stood straight, patiently waiting for me to get done. That was an amazing feeling! Completely made up for how rotten I had been feeling, she still loves me

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    glad that she is going to be OK. looks like she is your baby daughter now

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread