I received this ditty in my personal mail today - is it shades of morpheus?? Well, I did type in pizza into the browser and even into the searchbox but did not end up at Pizza Hut - so I am assuming my system is clear of any parasiteware or perhaps my suspicious little mind is looking in the wrong places.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>After some searching, I found your Web site on the Internet. I used Google and typed in a word pertaining to your business. A very long list of Web sites came up.

Did you know that if I typed in any particular word or phrase that is connected to your business, using Netscape, Explorer browser I could be immediately sent to YOUR WEB SITE! I would not get a long list to choose from, I would be connected directly to your Web site! Our technology can do this for you. As an example, type in pizza on your browser and you will see the Pizza Hut Web Site. Type in the word, "car" and you will get the Lexus web site. This is our technology at work!

Would you like to explore the possibilities for your Web site? If so, please call me before someone else gets the word or phrase that's best for your business!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abigail

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What's this <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say it's somebody who in the near future will be settling a lot of lawsuits.

Join and earn nearly one cent per 1000 qualified visitors.

Sounds like one of those things like RealNames.com used to do. All somebody had to do is type in a keyword into the browser, and if you had purchased that word they would go directly to your website. RealNames closed down:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>June 28, 2002: RealNames Keywords were activated in the Microsoft IE browser pursuant to a distribution agreement with Microsoft, which Microsoft chose not to renew. Therefore, at this time, Keywords no longer resolve in Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

So does that mean Microsoft and Netscape are crawling under the sheets with these guys? Do ya think? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Abigail

Nope. When I typed those words the email suggested into my browser all I got was MSN with a bunch of websites listed. If they were in bed together, I would have ended up at the websites they claimed I would.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I Think this was one of several new SE BHO browser plug-ins discussed at ABW earlier last week. Might be someone the networks clued in to take over where Realnames left off. I do know a BHO Malware virus used by CommonNames.com ( PS don't go there in case of hidden downloads reported) that is now recognized by Ad-Aware. These new one's are sending out millions of spamms trying to get merchants and site owner to send they money for keywords. Nice Con-game if they close down and retire to the islands at 5000.00 per one word key names -$2500.00 for 2 item key words and a bargain of 750.00 for a 3 item keyword. "Eat My Shorts" will cost you 750.00 for 1 year so hurry up and grab that one.

WebMaster Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracy:
    Nope. When I typed those words the email suggested into my browser all I got was MSN with a bunch of websites listed. If they were in bed together, I would have ended up at the websites they claimed I would.

---
    _Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love._<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At IE, you can select in your browser not to search on 'Address Bar', among other choices, it won't take you anywhere with any keyword or phrase, unless a domain name is properly typed.

Searching on the address bar, comes in "default" on all browsers, which has been one of most significant source of traffic for MSN sites, and a "business model?" for RealNames.com (which is out of biz, as mentioned).

I think, as Internet users mature, this type misusage will fade away, so are the sites/businesses/people who're making money of off it.

In regards to email Abigail received, sounds like nothing but scam.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread