Question Forum signature
    How many post must you have before you can have a signature?

Quote Originally Posted by dougadam
    How many post must you have before you can have a signature?
    it's in here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=55801

Thumbs down board abuse protection measures
    In regard to:

"...Haiko has enabled this feature on the new boards as a board abuse protection measure. This gives new members the opportunity to learn how our community operates and what is allowed here at ABW..."

there will always be those who will abuse forum privileges. i always assumed that it was the job of forum moderators to keep members "in check", banning those members who break the rules, and keeping the peace. i feel that these temporary imposed restrictions will only be a delay for those who will do no good and keep any new (honest) members from staying, out of frustration.

-soji of t.a.g.

http and a telephoto
    These rules have been developed over time and work for us. You don't need to agree with them, and they won't be changed just because newbies don't like them.

If you won't stay because you can't have a signature... then why are you here?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Soji,

If your only reason for staying is a sig, well then please do go because right now sig rights for you is set at 250 posts.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Soji,

If your only reason for staying is a sig, well then please do go because right now sig rights for you is set at 250 posts.
    OUCH! Learning to play well with others is important. Sometimes the lesson hurts.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

>>>i always assumed that it was the job of forum moderators to keep members "in check" <<<

they shouldn't have to be baby sitters . . .

i feel that these temporary imposed restrictions will only be a delay for those who will do no good and keep any new (honest) members from staying, out of frustration.
    It really depends on why you're here. If you're here to learn and contribute these "temporary imposed restrictions" are no big deal. If you are one of "those who will do no good" you'll move on to another forum that's easier to abuse.

Haiko' s rules benefit all members, including the "new (honest) members". There are too many forums that are more spam than substance. I like it here just the way it is.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Cool Thin Skin?
    My post regarding "sigs" was more of an "example" or "for instance" regarding your rules. it just happened to be "sigs" in your case. no need to be defensive. i was basically trying to say that if you want someone to do or not do something on your forum, you should just say so. to place something vague, open to interpretation or unclear will either garner more questions, curiousity, or worse, invite those who would try to get around the rules. there will always be those who will try to buck the system.

regarding rules; an example, me, for instance, your moderator basically told me that i would have to post 250 times before i could post a sig. now, if i knew that before joining, with the intent of only joining your forum to just post a sig, i would think twice. or you could say, this forum does not accept sigs. there, now you don't have to deal with "siggies".

incidentally i don't join forums with the expressed intent of sig posting. i look into forums as a way of seeing "what's new" regarding list building applications/programs/ideas that might be out there that i might be able to implement into my marketing plans.

i was curious and thought i would give my opinion.

soji- t.a.g.

soji,

Most new members (I'm not that old here myself) ask questions about how to improve their site or PPC campaigns or how to get better organic search results. They are trying to resolve problems in their code or have a question about a particular merchant or program. To these members privileges are not of primary importance. They need answers and that's why they're here. Some of them become members of the community and others get the answers they need and disappear, either is fine.

Then we get the new members that start out by questioning the rules or their first post is how to get a sig. Besides being downright rude (when I'm in your house I don't question your rules, If I don't like them I leave) it's usually a pretty good indication of intent. I also think the rules are pretty clear and straight forward.

Hang around, ask some questions (relevant questions) and learn from the largest affiliate knowledge base that you're likely to find and in time you'll start to gain "privileges". Remember good things come to those who wait.

And as far as being defensive, think of it as the neighborhood watch, drive past the playground one too many times and we're going to be all over your ass.

Welcome to ABW.

-rematt

Hello, I was not aware of the no Sig rule for newbies. I did read the T's & C's when registering and must have missed it. I was wondering why there was not Sig option in edit profiles. I was manually adding my Sig to the posts and will refrain from doing so until allowed. I hope that this won't prevent me from participating in this forum. I think it is great and wish I found it sooner!

Best regards,

Butch Weber

manual signatures??
    Understand that manual sigs are ok as long as they comply with the rules.

My profile allows me to create a sig, but I'm assuming that it won't be displayed.

Can anyone clarify?

Regards, Joe

No sigs until you earn it.
    That includes manual.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Man this is an interesting thread. Don't know why issues like signatures are even discussed. I thought this was a forum dedicating to discussions about affiliate marketing. We should all try to keep it there as much as possible.

Of course the occasional joke sure lightens up some dull days.

If you look at the number of noobs that introduce themselves, ask about signatures and when told they have to earn it are never heard from again it becomes pretty obvious.

There are e-books and SEO sites that tell them join forums and drop their signature all over the place to get back links. Little do they know that if they didn't worry about the sig and stuck around to actually learn something useful they could stop wasting their money on e-books that promise "#1 Rankings on Google".

They come, they go. C'est la vie.

-rematt

Hello,

I agree that we "noobs" don't know all the rules. But, isn't that what forum is all about? Learning the ropes so we don't make that type of mistake. Yes, I and other newbies have fell into the trap of e-book promises. That is one of the reasons for being here. To learn from the professionals. I'm tired of not making any money from the Internet to speak of. I want to be able to speak loudly of it!

I think I'll be around for awhile! Watching, participating, learning.

Regards,

Butch Weber

Great to hear Butch, Welcome to ABW!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Look at my sig... no link. Never had one, probably never will. That's because what I get out of ABW is much more than a backlink.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Butch, my post wasn't necessarily directed at you but was a comment on the post from visitourmall. Many (not all) first posters that ask that question don't hang around after they get the answer. Do a search for sig, signature or privileges and you'll see what I mean. They're often encouraged to not worry about it and stick around to learn what they can.

By your response it appears that you are more interested in learning than dropping a sig so my comment didn't apply to you.

Welcome aboard, you'll find this is a great place to learn your trade.

-rematt

Thank you all for you kind welcome!

See you around the board ( oops, just let out my old BBS days!).

Butch Weber
    ole Sysop - The Orlando Communicator (before Internet!)

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Same from Texas Butch! Welcome aboard.

Have I said lately how good those Cowboys have looked?? Go Cowboys!!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Don't know why issues like signatures are even discussed.
    Because there are 10,000 SEO e-books out there telling people to find forums and make X number of posts with a link in their sig to help increase their link count (although they fail to mention that quality > quantity).

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Weber

Butch Weber
    ole Sysop - The Orlando Communicator (before Internet!)
    Sysop.. that's a term I haven't heard in ages! Welcome aboard, Butch.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Yes, the good old days! I kind of miss that.

It was much easier to focus on communicating when we had only a handful of BBS's to call.

With the Internet's proliferation of Forum's I find it difficult to sort it all out.

Its nice that this forum is large enough to handle most of my needs and will be coming here more and more.

Best regards,

Butch Weber

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread