Typos and Misspellings for AdWords
    I can't find anything current at ABW on this so here goes. I was provoked by a post by Todd Mintz at Search Engine Land. He writes about the ideas of ShoeMoney in the use of AdWords.

He advocates to:
    Max-Out On Misspellings. Aaron Wall's Typo Generator is awesome and essential for any serious PPC effort. As an example, I can generate 158 misspellings of "widgets" that can be used for a "widgets" PPC campaign and my experience has been that just about any core keyword targeted will have several misspellings that will draw traffic. Bids on almost all misspelled words will be at or near the minimum for top placement.
    This seems counter to what Google recommends here.
    Don't ...

* Include these variations: misspellings (french cusine), capitalization (French cuisine), incorrect spacing (french cui sine), hyphens (french-cuisine).
    * Use variations that are more than three words long (best for unique markets and product names).
    * Use a three-word keyword in multiple matching variations at one time: [buy red bicycle], "buy red bicycle," buy red bicycle.
    Now when you do a search with a typo in Google they give you "Did you mean:" and if you click that it gives you a new search with the keyword phrase corrected. I know in spite of what G says they will let the typos go through if you don't click to correct it, so are typos and misspellings still worth putting much effort into.

Typos can be some good low-hanging fruit, but with these problems:

1) The volume of traffic is usually very, very low. 158 typos might get 1% as many searches as the main keyword.
    2) Searches who are too stupid to spell widgets are often too stupid to buy widgets. I've personally observed lower conversion ratios with typo keywords.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Searches who are too stupid to spell widgets are often too stupid to buy widgets.

ABW Ambassador
    You would be surprised at how many people just can't spell. And even those than can, mistype sometimes.

The great thing about mispellings are they are usually cheap bids as what you just quoted:

"Bids on almost all misspelled words will be at or near the minimum for top placement."

"Searches who are too stupid to spell widgets are often too stupid to buy widgets."

Stupid people or people who can't spell shop online too Everybody shops. And maybe they're also the type to go crazy with their credit card and get into debt, who knows.

The volume of traffic is usually very, very low. 158 typos might get 1% as many searches as the main keyword.
    I don't know for sure but it looks like the typos are going to those bidding on Broad Match terms. If they are bidding higher and have good CTR you might never be seen on the typo variation if it's phrase or exact match.

I'm also wondering if there is a stat out there on how often "Did you Mean:" is clicked.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    so are typos and misspellings still worth putting much effort into.
    The nice thing about G is, it doesn't cost much to test. Try it. I don't target brand name typos like yarget instead of Target, but in my generics I do. Like cuopon instead of coupon. Can't say the performance was stellar, but I did catch some clicks I might not have.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Searches who are too stupid to spell widgets are often too stupid to buy widgets.
    Agreed, but there are markets that taget stupid people and make money off of it. Now that you mention it, I should go make me a "Get Rich Quik" page.

ABW Ambassador
    "I don't know for sure but it looks like the typos are going to those bidding on Broad Match terms."

I never do broad but I have typos with phrase and they do just fine. First page, cheap clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Agreed, but there are markets that taget stupid people and make money off of it. Now that you mention it, I should go make me a "Get Rich Quik" page.
    LOL! GetRichQuik.com is already registered (and for sale for $3630). It looks like GitRichQuik.com is available, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread