Getting Around AdWords One Ad Rule
    There is a quality merchant that uses ABW and is using multiple domains to get around the one ad rule. I'm not making a judgment here just asking because if one does it they are probably not alone.

Here is what I see. The merchant's site is example.com and he allows affiliates to display that in the AdWords ad on the URL line and send traffic direct. He then allows other insider affiliates to use another.com in the URL. When the user clicks those ads they redirect to example.com.

The bonus for the merchant is now there are 2 ads showing for a given keyword and point to the same page. The bonus for the affiliates is that it broadens the scope of PPC direct to the merchant. It seems to go against stated Google policy.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I would suspect that G will eventually catch it when they spider the sites if it is all redirecting to the same domain. But I'm not the expert on that one so I am interested in what others have to say.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Cowboy
    If the user eventually lands on the same domain in either case, Adwords will stop them sooner or later. Maybe they'll shut down their Adwords account too.
    I have seen people do this and send the traffic to another domain for a while, then kick in the redirect and have two ads landing on the same page. My guess is both the merchant and the affiliate are at risk of getting in trouble here.

I have seen this before, and Google will temporarily shut down the one who is using a different display URL until the display matches the actual landing page. Just a matter of time before Google finds them, and if they continue to do this type of thing, Google will ban them.

It's in the TOS so I would assume that they will eventually catch it. I can't understand why so many people game the game when doing things the right way is the only thing that pays in the long run.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    they'll catch it.

the abusers risk getting banned from adwords permanently.

you can submit the situation here to speed things if it's got you chapped:
    https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/request.py
    (they take double serving complaints very seriously)

If the user eventually lands on the same domain in either case, Adwords will stop them sooner or later. Maybe they'll shut down their Adwords account too.
    I have seen people do this and send the traffic to another domain for a while, then kick in the redirect and have two ads landing on the same page. My guess is both the merchant and the affiliate are at risk of getting in trouble here.
    Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't PM the Affiliate Manager with a link to this thread as a friendly heads up. Who knows I may be seeing it all wrong, but I don't think so.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread