ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    For all the newbies out there who want to get into affiliate marketing, but don't know where to start. Can we build a list of "types" of affiliate websites they can make? I'll throw some in. Heck, maybe we even offer some advantages/disadvantages?

1. Online Mall - conglomerate of all different types of products, usually arranged without a specific niche product theme.

2. Niche malls - Same as online mall, but arranged around a specific line of products.

3. Content Driven - Niche informational site. Heavy content. Presented as the "expert" on that particular subject. Advantages, great for search engines usually because of heavy content. Disadvantages, content sites have the repuation of not converting as well.

4. Directories - Same idea as online malls essentially. Goal is to be half mall and half content driven. Purpose to push referrals as leads.

I know you all have a ton of more ideas. Thought it might be helpful.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Here's another category:

5- direct to merchant marketing: can be done in two ways.

i) Marketing buy in pay per click search engines. The link is coded with the affiliate ID but the surfer goes direct to the merchant site.

ii) Cloaked domains - a website exists for the search engines but IP tracking is used to deliver the surfer direct to the merchant site. Advantages: surfer goes directly to the merchant.
    Disadvantages: Need high level of technical expertise, possibility of site getting banned. Possibility of getting the merchant's site banned.

I have to say that I don't recommend or advocate number ii) in any way.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Ummm...please forgive me for going off topic so quickly. Just a brief detour, then back on track. Markymark, if I have a site where I am selling products, and I redirect other urls with specific, related keywords in the url are you suggesting that could get my primary site banned?

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...redirect other urls with specific, related keywords in the url are you suggesting that could get my primary site banned?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, positively, beyond any doubt on specific search engines, Google being one such SE.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

FWIW:
    Content driven is the only way to get into ODP (Open Directory Project). Even at that, you have to make the content to links ratio pretty high. The editors are pretty full of themselves over there.
    Depending on the topic and SE placement competition, it is sometimes worth working the content design it into your plan to get an extra google point and wider distribution.

Oh, and I do second the notion that expert sites do not convert terribly well. Haven't tried any gonzo-style sites yet - do they really convert that much better?

I also have had the experience that expert sites don't convert as well. Just managed to get a top 10 google position for 2 major keyword phrases for a site ... this is an expert site with lots of content, but only one page of affiliate links. It is now my highest traffic site, but doesn't seem to be earning much money. If I stuff it full of affiliate links then i might get my ODP listing pulled, plus I do think that there is a limit ... if the site is an information site you can't sell something with every 2nd sentance. Not sure what the solution is to this.

Top affiliate made $169,300 in one month. Find out how much affiliates are making at http://www.profitpuppy.com/top-affiliates.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Content driven is the only way to get into ODP (Open Directory Project). Even at that, you have to make the content to links ratio pretty high. The editors are pretty full of themselves over there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, I take offense to that last remark. People go to the ODP primarily for information, not shopping, which is why affiliate sites often don't get in. It's a different animal from the SE's, even though some SE's have chosen to align themselves with them. And it's not being full of ourselves, we're openly discouraged from listing sites that solely exist as affiliates - and you really don't want the higher-up editors to lambaste you. Now, they really can be pretty nasty! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Frankly, I wouldn't care if my affiliate sites got listed with ODP. Since it is so content-driven I can't imagine it would bring a significant amount of honest-to-real buyers to my site.

J

Jannis, I too take offense to those comments but only because I'm a self proclaimed nerd. IMO the only reason any of us care to be listed in the odp is because of google period.

As for me I don't think there is any good reason to be listed other than that. I also think the odp needs to take a look at itself and figure out why it can't make ground on it's own.

It needs to move forward from 1999 when the web was "the information super highway" and join up with the year 2002 and beyond where the web became the marketing back alley plus a few detours and pot holes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It needs to move forward from 1999 when the web was "the information super highway" and join up with the year 2002 and beyond where the web became the marketing back alley plus a few detours and pot holes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I certainly agree with you on that. They're still living back in the days when everything on the internet was supposed to be free and no one cared about copyrights, fair use or making money (apparently they assumed that people could live on air while they spent 18 hours a day building web pages [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]). Any sensible person knew this sort of idealistic thinking was just plain dumb - not to mention wholly impossible - and there's always been a bottom line: cash.

Not sure why Google uses the ODP still. You know, in this big, bad internet world there are two kinds of searchers: buyers and information seekers. I think there needs to be a bigger separation between the two and perhaps there will be if the ad market (where content should be making its living but can't right now) ever recovers. The area's too gray at the moment - I don't want to do shopping and wind up on a content site, or be looking for information and happen on someone who's trying to sell me something. And this still happens far too often.

J

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread