Can we select a specific merchant's entire feed?
    Hi, I've just started playing around with Popshop.

There is a particular SAS merchant with a unique datafeed. I would like to build a store using this merchant's entire feed.

Is there a way to do this, short of clicking "Add" on each single product? In other words, when I "Pick Products," can I select this merchant and quickly designate their entire product line?

Hope that makes sense?

Gary the Writerguy

*bump*

Hi WriterGuy,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we're checking with our devs about exactly how our future tagging/autofeed/xml feeds are going to work...stay tuned!

- JessieJ

Thanks Jessie,

I'll be patient. I'll try anyway.

Another question, actually: Is there somewhere in the FAQs, instructions, Popshops tour, etc., where the "autofeed' function is explained? I'm not sure I get how that works and what it's for, i.e., advantages/disadvantages, whatever?

Gary the Writerguy

We are working on the documentation now and you will see a more robust hep system in the site coming soon. The short explanation is this...

With AutoFeed, you create a 1 page layout with however many columns/rows that you want. Then, you click "AutoFeed" above the thumbnail viewer and PopShops automatically creates spider-friendly additional pages using the same search keywords/merchants/etc as the products on your first page.

The advantages to using AutoFeed is that you get many (sometimes hundreds) of additional content by simply clicking that checkbox and turning it on. It also gives your visitors more products to browse without leaving your site.

The disadvantages are that it is a relatively new feature and may sometimes give products that you you don't consider relevant. Also, as I mentioned, this release is a little buggy, so there are duplicate products that are shown as you page through.

You can also use the SEO tool and add/replace keywords throughout your AutoFeed pages.

- JessieJ

Thanks. I think as I fiddle around with it more I'll start to catch on. :0)

Gary the Writerguy

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

There is a particular SAS merchant with a unique datafeed. I would like to build a store using this merchant's entire feed.

Is there a way to do this, short of clicking "Add" on each single product? In other words, when I "Pick Products," can I select this merchant and quickly designate their entire product line?
    Hey Gary,

Thanks for your patience.

I am not sure if you would prefer to display the entire feed and let your users browse page by page/if you would prefer to have topical pages based on the merchants products/or if you want the merchants feed to populate your search results?

With our autofeed feature you can designate an entire product line of a single merchant. To do this you would populate your the first page of your shop with products from that merchant, select autofeed and the remaining pages will be populated by products from the same merchant. We are also developing features that will help augment the product search on your site, PM for more details.

Depending upon your needs, I might suggest using both PopShops and GoldenCAN in tandem. GoldenCAN is perfect when you want to display a whole feed from a merchant including category drilldowns on your site. PopShops is perfect when you want to showcase a set of products to the visitors on your site without being constrained to single merchant.

Ultimately we are a great merchandising tool so you can upsell/highlight certain products to your customers. For example, if your site is a camping site, PopShops could easily help you feature clothing on one landing page, traditional equipment like tents on another landing page, and GPS and other technical gear on a third page. Selecting your products this way makes the most use of matching content with products your customers are interested in.

That's really where our strength is.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Thanks, Angel,

For the suggestions. I will definitely think through the ideas you've given me here.

(I only wish the specific datafeed I have in mind was available at GoldenCAN, as I would really like to work GoldenCAN and Popshops together as you've suggested.)

Gary the Writerguy

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread