Question # of merchants to promote
    Iím wrestling with this issue, I see affiliate sites that display a zillion merchants in the same product category.

Iíve been doing my best to put one maybe two merchants per category.

I think itís my responsibility to do the research for my visitors to find the best sites.

Am I on the right track?

I never try to promote lot of merchants at the same time in the same category. I only promote them who convert well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan367
    I think itís my responsibility to do the research for my visitors to find the best sites.
    This is definitely a good approach. Competitive merchants offering a wide selection of products, and converting well for yourself as an affiliate are the ones to promote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan367
    Iíve been doing my best to put one maybe two merchants per category.
    If you are talking of putting together something like a multiple-category online mall (so it seems from your above statement), I think it'd be hard to assign an exact number of merchants per category. Some categories could be fully covered by one merchant, whereas others will take a dozen of merchants to cover... I'd carefully look through each category and aim at providing the best product coverage possible at the best prices, deals and shipping options for the end users.

Geno

I think it depends on how you structure your site. If your site is for "personal recommendations" for good merchants, then I'd go with 1 or 2, maybe 3. If you are trying to be "the place" for everything, than you can go with more. Personally, I think the individual recommendation angle is more appealing.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

What about shooping carts?
    I've been wrestling with this too. How do you handle the different shopping carts when you have multiple merchants on the same site? A shopper wants to order items from different vendors during the same visit. That's two shopping carts, and two orders.

Do customers understand, and are they will to place separate orders?

ray

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Some merchants offer incentives to affiliates for exclusivity.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Manager davidscookies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    I think it depends on how you structure your site. If your site is for "personal recommendations" for good merchants, then I'd go with 1 or 2, maybe 3. If you are trying to be "the place" for everything, than you can go with more. Personally, I think the individual recommendation angle is more appealing.
    Nice reply, I tend to agree. Also keep in mind that some programs will set a cookie for a number of days. So if you send a consumer to multiple programs, and they decide to buy a week later at any one of the sites listed, you'll most likely get credit.

My personal preference is to keep things very organized - do a category, list a number of merchants and split those out into a separate page for each, with maybe a couple 'you may also like' links at the bottom.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread