ABW Ambassador
    Pew Research: 'Web 2.0' Crowd A Small Minority

Thanks for the interesting report.
    I guess we don't all have to race to be "2.0 compliant."
    The main point for the webmaster is to focus upon and know the target audience.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Those Pew reports are always interesting. I wonder how these numbers are changing though...which group is growing, which is shrinking, etc...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    That's a really great article -- thanks for the link!
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

If anything this article encourages adopting "web 2.0" technology because it's not fully saturated. When it becomes the norm the market will be saturated and we'll need to start on the next big thing. It's the new markets that haven't matured that have the biggest opportunities. If you're the first to establish a new product that's yet to be introduced, you may become the authority. But the internet moves fast and even if you finish your new cutting-edge product it may be too late. "Web 2.0" is nearing saturation and we're already starting to see players dropping out of the game.

That's not to say there isn't still opportunity catering to these "low-tech" users. I'm sure there's quite a lot of opportunity there as well, but the competition is much more fierce and you'll be excluding the other 50% of the users who are more tech savvy. Personally I'd rather focus on the more technical users while I wait for the "low-tech" users to catch up.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    "When it becomes the norm the market will be saturated and we'll need to start on the next big thing."

Don't think it's going to become the norm, I think that research is pretty much on point. The problem is with user uptake. The mainstream just isn't picking it up since most of them don't live online.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "When it becomes the norm the market will be saturated and we'll need to start on the next big thing."

Don't think it's going to become the norm, I think that research is pretty much on point. The problem is with user uptake. The mainstream just isn't picking it up since most of them don't live online.
    Maybe you don't consider MySpace or YouTube "web 2.0" sites, but I do. Considering that I think the mainstream is picking it up quite quickly. MySpace has a rapidly growing older audience and many of the "low-tech" users are becoming familiar with this kind of medium.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    I'm talking about the other 99%. There's always going to be a few that stick but I don't see it becoming the "norm". Even affiliates who are on the computer more than the average user don't pick a lot of it up.

Pew Research: 'Web 2.0' Crowd A Small Minority

"Web 2.0" is nearing saturation and we're already starting to see players dropping out of the game."

And we still have a bubble that's going to burst. VC money being thrown around left and right with a lot of these "web2.0" upstarts. Didn't learn the lesson the first time around.

Actually when I think 2.0 I think EBay, once they combine skype and myworld it will become the biggest social network. What is myworld hmmmm.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Back a looong time ago, internet use adoption rates were quite low in general, people were scared to shop online, and companies struggled to find the right mix of offline and online commerce.

That didn't make quality domain names any less valueable though for a forward thinking individual.....
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    Domain speculation? That's a little different then what I'm talking about.

Back a (not so) looong time ago, people jumped on the bandwagon and recklessly threw money around and bust. For many reasons, poor planning, didn't handle their financials right, didn't consider the market, didn't consider the end user etc. There is a lot of good stuff coming out and a lot of it will stick. But if you're imagining a Web2.0 type of internet as the norm, I don't think so. Just looking at the social aspect or let's say shopping. Not everybody wants to shop that way. And when I see the top affiliates on newsletter merchants send out, I don't see those players in the mix. Maybe in the future who knows. But as it stands right now, it's a small minority, which doesn't suprise me. Even affiliates who are online everyday don't take to much of it. Reference a recent thread about the preferred use of communication with email #1 and RSS getting 0. Where's the uptake? Why isn't it happening?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I'm not encouraging bad business, or "throwing money around".

The comparison is that both times there was an emerging market... and with an emerging market comes opportunity. The fact that adoption rates are low as indicated doesn't suprise me at all really, but it also doesn't make me any less interested to explore how we can use new ideas and trends to further generate business.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    "but it also doesn't make me any less interested to explore how we can use new ideas and trends to further generate business."

Agree with you on that, it's why I suggested this forum in the first place. I find a lot of it interesting and some of it useful.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the study as a whole is flawed. It is taking success as participation, instead of - there will always be a small part that participates, is that part large enough to create content for the other larger groups to consume?

Who cares if only 10% of your audience is participating as long as they are creating enough content for the other 90% to be a sizeable audience.

Success for web 2.0 will never be 100% participation, but what it will be is the lessening expense of content creation by allowing a segment of the users to create the content for the other segments to consume. This is something smart web 2.0 sites are really good at doing, small and large sites.

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm not surprised at such a report at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust

Back a (not so) looong time ago, people jumped on the bandwagon and recklessly threw money around and bust. For many reasons, poor planning, didn't handle their financials right, didn't consider the market, didn't consider the end user etc. (snip!) But if you're imagining a Web2.0 type of internet as the norm, I don't think so. Just looking at the social aspect or let's say shopping. Not everybody wants to shop that way. And when I see the top affiliates on newsletter merchants send out, I don't see those players in the mix. Maybe in the future who knows. But as it stands right now, it's a small minority, which doesn't surprise me. Even affiliates who are online everyday don't take too much of it. Reference a recent thread about the preferred use of communication with email #1 and RSS getting 0.
    And we still have a bubble that's going to burst. VC money being thrown around left and right with a lot of these "web2.0" upstarts. Didn't learn the lesson the first time around.

It'll go kaboom for sure, just a matter of when. If I was willing to do Vegas-type gambling on anything, it'd be that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I think the study as a whole is flawed. It is taking success as participation, instead of - there will always be a small part that participates, is that part large enough to create content for the other larger groups to consume?

Who cares if only 10% of your audience is participating as long as they are creating enough content for the other 90% to be a sizeable audience.

Success for web 2.0 will never be 100% participation, but what it will be is the lessening expense of content creation by allowing a segment of the users to create the content for the other segments to consume. This is something smart web 2.0 sites are really good at doing, small and large sites.

Chet
    I agree with this 100%. A total participation rate is not necessary for things to be successful. I think we are already seeing a trickle-down of web 2.0-type ideas to bigger, more established websites. Major newspapers are experimenting with blogs, user comments, and forums, etc...

I don't know if "web 2.0" will take over the Internet, but I think we can safely assume the better and more profitable ideas will spread to the larger Internet population as time goes on.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    I agree with this 100%. A total participation rate is not necessary for things to be successful. I think we are already seeing a trickle-down of web 2.0-type ideas to bigger, more established websites. Major newspapers are experimenting with blogs, user comments, and forums, etc...
    Absolutely and some established sites are having great success with the integration of web 2.0 "social" features, where success is measured in increased page views, increased sign-ups, and increased "sticky-ness". One I'm personally familiar with is USA Today:

http://www.pronetadvertising.com/art...usa-today.html
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    Absolutely and some established sites are having great success with the integration of web 2.0 "social" features, where success is measured in increased page views, increased sign-ups, and increased "sticky-ness". One I'm personally familiar with is USA Today:

http://www.pronetadvertising.com/art...usa-today.html
    Great example isell. The successful 1.0 sites are having have huge success implementing 2.0 features. I think we're getting to the point that successful sites from a few years ago are experiencing a fallout by not implementing more social features. The bar has been raised.

- Scott

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread